Schecter C-8 Deluxe - Questions

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ckkerv1, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ckkerv1

ckkerv1 Meme Lord

Hello everyone, this is my first thread here so don't hate me if I do something wrong!
    I tried to search on the board but I haven't found much if any useful info.

I'm planning to purchase the Schecter C-8 Deluxe after I found it being sold in my Guitar Center for $300 brand new. The things I care the most about is the price and the scale length equal or greater than 28" so no doubt it's a perfect match. I would like to spend perhaps another $300 on upgrading the axe.
    I heard the stock passive pickups ain't the best (but for that price I wouldn't mind even if C8 had no pickups at all). Does anyone have any experience with such upgades and can share with me which pickups in their opinion suit this particular axe the most? And also the hardware - are the stock tuners at least decent or should be upgraded to locking tuners immediately? And the bridge?

I would also like to hear some feedback from the owners about the fretwork straight from the box and after some time?

Thank you

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

whilst I do not have a C8, I have used my fair share of 8 strings in the past.

I completely back your decision to upgrade. I love modifying my guitars personally.

so with pickups, what bands/guitar tones are what you normally go for?.
    Im an active guy but I appreciate alot of people dislike them these days. There is a massive following for Bareknuckle and they are amazing, but would blow most of your $300 budget. I imagine you are also wanting better/locking tuners too?.

I personally always prefer the active 8 string tone so I would go EMG/Seymour Duncan EMTY's. But thats me. The upside is that approach is way way cheaper than the passive pickups that Duncan and Bareknuckle are putting out.

what tuning are you going to be using for this beast?

3. ckkerv1

ckkerv1 Meme Lord

Thanks for your reply lewis!

I would go for EAEADGBE on Rings of Saturn and drop D on After the Burial, and these are my goal tones, sharp, clear with really tight low end and well pronounced midrange.
    I'm neutral towards actives or passives, both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I honestly think that actives would serve a cheap piece of wood better and obviously I don't want to overkill that axe with a set of BKP for $400.

As for the tuners - i believe that the swap will be necessary in this price range, I simpy want to know if I have to do this just after the unboxing or the stock ones will allow me to stay in tune for a while until i get my budget bigger

lewis likes this.
  4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I've had a C8 Deluxe. Great guitar.

Hardware - Tuners are fine however you'll probably need to tune firs time you pic it up every day. Just seemed to go a little flat overnight. Bridge feels and looks like a hipshot, if you wanna upgrade it while you do the tuners go ahead. I could get by with both my tuners and bridge after I tuned the first time. They stayed while you play. Just save and get hipshot everything is my advice.

Pickups - better than you think, better than most stock 8 pups. But if you'll probably wanna upgrade these first. Dimarzios are a good choice and pretty cheap compared to other brands. Though they can be a little 'fizzy'.

ckkerv1 likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

In that case, if after the Burial are your thing. (mine too :) ) then go Seymour Duncan blackouts (or the revised EMTY versions which have a sweeter midrange) like they use \m/
    I personally also really like the EMG active EQ knob offerings. If you are conscious about tighter low end even with a pickup swap, you can get the EMG RPC tone knob to pair with the pickups, which simultaneously cuts/tightens low end whilst adding some high end bite. A MUCH handier tool for low 8 string turnings than a standard Tone knob no one uses.
    Both Duncan and EMG use the same quick connect feature so you wouldnt even need to solder anything.

10000% also grab lockers from the off. You just know the standard tuners will be garbage.
    You dont even need to go expensive brand name lockers to get a substantial improvement.
    For example, in the UK, i order lockers made from a UK company called "vanson". Ive been using these exclusively on all my guitars for 10 years. Ordered 20 odd sets in that time. Never let me down and always offer a substantial improvement over stock.

And the best bit?. Any config/colour options are available for no extra cost AND 6 lockers from him are only around £30 a set. With 7 and 8 sets also available for a slight increase. (probably around £40 - I cant remember off the top of my head the exact price. It may be cheaper)

So you can upgrade without breaking the bank. I have no need to get Hipshot/sperzels. These serve me perfectly fine.

Also if you want to replace the chrome bridge to black, Im pretty sure these are a direct placement -

http://www.rondomusic.com/cepheus8bridge.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    ckkerv1 likes this.
  6. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

As I just stated the tuners are not garbage and work fine albeit with a tune when you first pick it up, however most folk I know do that anyway. And why recommend a Rondomusic Bridge? It's an agile bridge, It's almost the exact same bridge of exact same quality. Vanson are a cheap UK company, I have a neck and tuners from them. Both just cheap.

Also don't put Active pickups in the C8. There are loads of options out there that will be far less hassle than routing out your guitar. Miles from Rings of Saturn uses Seymour duncan passives.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The tuners work completely fine and are not garbage like most "cheap" stuff would be. The op said he had a $300 budget.

You just admitted most people will swap to lockers so telling him not to is abit redundant. If you are a heavy player, then no amount of stock, cheap, garbage tuners will hold their tune.

Also you come across quite hostile mate. I know in Scotland people dont give a shit but I dont really feel this type of post is justified when Im just trying to make helpful suggestions based on the OPs budget, tone goals and overall needs.

also, seeing as you are not the OP, im not sure why we are even having this conversation so.

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Why we're having the conversation...because it relates to all of OP's questions?

Read whatever hostility you want I'm just firing back at your points.

OP asked what he should change immediately. As a previous owner of a C8 Deluxe I'm saying from personal experience he should change them however they're not an immediate worry. And he shouldn't go with Vanson, as in my personal experience they're not that great plus shipping to Poland might make them a redundant purchase. I'm a very heavy player and the tuners worked fine, no where did I say they were garbage. Again not an immediate upgrade, which OP asked about.

With his budget, buying buying similar EMG's to After the Burial is going to ruin it as he'd have to route out pickups and maybe a battery compartment too depending on the cavity size after all the electronic replacements like RPC pots.

Saying he should by Passives is pretty fine considering again, Miles from ROS uses Seymour Passives.

I'm giving feedback on both Vanson and Schecter from Personal experience.

I wasn't hostile, however given you're tone about Scotland I think I will be from now on. I'm no your mate.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

getting ready for Glaswegian kisses?

10. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

To quote yourself.

Considering it has nothing to do with the OP's questions, and you're just ragging on my nationality.

All I've done is answer OP's questions and counter your advice which isn't great considering you told him to buy an Agile bridge.

11. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Thread is for addressing the topic at hand, not quibbling with eachother. Drop it with the attacks or get out of the thread.

ckkerv1, lewis and cip 123 like this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

agreed!

apologies.

ckkerv1 likes this.
  13. ckkerv1

ckkerv1 Meme Lord

Thanks guys for the replies. Please don’t attack each other - I didn’t expect one simple solution but rather multiple opinions and ideas to choose from and I got it :)

As for the tuners - these are replaced immediately, I hit my strings pretty hard.
    The bridge is a riddle. I guess if it allows me to get my intonation right and doesn’t rust quickly from the hand sweat I’ll stay with the stock one. I’ll extend my budget and buy all the hardware from hipshot since I have these in my Ormsby and I love it.

As for the pickups... that’s a struggle for me. I know that active pickups will sound OK for a ridiculously small amount of cash and to get similar or better effect IMO with passive pickups I would have to kill my budget buying BKP, Lace or Lundgren. Correct me if I’m wrong.

As for the Rings of Saturn tone. I know that Miles uses Banshee 8 with passive a bit honestly I think I prefer the old Lugal Ki En tone when they played on carbon fiber guitars with actives #unpopularopinion

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

sounds a very very sound plan dude! :)
    I look forward to seeing it. Make sure to post pics with the mods progress

p.s as for me suggesting another bridge. It was purely for an Aesthetic change if you happened to want to black out all the hardware on the guitar. There is nothing wrong with the stock silver bridge in a practical way and is identical to the "stamped" Agile bridges. (all sourced from the same place) so at least you know they all fit perfectly.

ckkerv1 likes this.
  15. ckkerv1

ckkerv1 Meme Lord

Yes, lewis, I've seen you referred only to the aesthetics! It's good to know these are direct replacements, though I'm afraid it's of no use to me since I'm living in the heart of the Europe so it would be hard for me to buy their hardware unless i find a local retail (which i doubt) :D For example here - I was interested in buying Agile Septor 8 for $599... At least until they added $380 shipping cost and VAT 23% which makes total price double. So I'll have to create the guitar on my own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lewis likes this.
  16. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Schecter is the one company that has pretty decent tuners and setup on even their cheapest guitars/ I bought and SGR C7 and those tuners were better than the ones on my mid level LTD's. I'm looking to get the same guitar and hopefully going Fishman with the pickups. Love the idea that they're like an EMG 81 with a different voicing and coil tapping.