Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Review

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Atomic_gerbil, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Atomic_gerbil

Atomic_gerbil SS.org Regular

My experience with the C-7 Hellraiser so far has been quite interesting, and you would do well to read this.

It took almost 3 weeks for Guitar Center to get my Hellraiser in. I think it was mainly UPS's fault. When I first got it, it was strung with GHS Boomers (10/56). I took it home, gawked at the utter beauty of the finish and the impression it made on me was amazing. When I first plugged mine in to my Roland 30x, the first thing I noticed was a little string buzz. No big deal, this happens with new guitars. I rolled up the volume, and let loose with Nevermore's "The River Dragon Has Come". WOW. Even on the clean setting, the combination of bright strings and the bridge pickup really makes the sound pop, and the neck pickup is mellow and jazzy, just like you'd expect.

Before I get into the negatives about this beast, let me tell you that the absolute beauty of this guitar, whether Black or Black Cherry - is stunning.

Those EMG 707's, especially in the bridge position, ROARED. I don't care what people say about these pickups, they are great. But one thing about the guitar wasn't so hot. The strings. They were dull and hard to play on, so I went to go pick up a D'addario set of 9-52's, this was a mistake on my part. Light guages suck on a 7 string. Here is where I noticed my large string buzz problem. It was all up on the neck, mainly on the bass end. I loosened the truss a bit, and that barely solved anything. (DO NOT ADJUST YOUR TRUSS IF YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE YOU CAN DO IT).

The next day, I took my Hellraiser back to Guitar Center, where they set me up with some D'addario 10-59's. I played on it a little bit, but I still noticed buzz. I took it back to the desk, and they messed with the truss a little bit. I took it home, and while there was still buzz on it, it was much better and I had some decently chunky strings. :yesway:

I think I will take time to talk about customer support. Schecter's Diamond Series customer support is some of the best in the business, in my opinion. I emailed the tech for the diamond series, got an email back that same day. The guy was awesome, he sent me a manual, and didn't seem to waste any time getting back to me. He also offered that if the problem persisted with the string buzzing, Schecter would happily replace it, for free.

Besides all of the problems I am having with the string buzz,, the guitar looks so damn great, it sounds AWESOME, and I couldn't ask for better customer support. Hopefully the buzzing problem will resolve itself in a few weeks, with my frets being broken in and the strings having time to stretch.

Overall, I think I'm going to have a good time with this guitar, and if need be (just in case I got a bad one due to the buzz) I will replace it and keep it. These guitars are awesome, don't hesitate buying one.

:metal:

UPDATE 7/18/07: I no longer own this guitar. I didn't think it was worth 700$ for the use I was getting out of it. It sounded good, but it didn't feel quite right. So I took it back to guitar center, and that was that. I still recommend it as an intermediate 7, if you don't mind the crappy QC and the chance that you might need to take it in for a professional setup (that I had experienced) and the extended scale.

2. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Great guitars and I loved mine while I had it............but
    I had the same problem you did so I bought it to my
    Luthier and he leveled the frets filed the nut properly
    tweaked the truss rod and turned it into a monster player.

I kept the 10-56 string on this one although I use 9-56 on
    my Carvin. Different guitars take to dfferent strings.
    Schecter touts that they do set ps when they come into the Us but apparently a few slip through that aren't set up
    as well as they could be.
    I also was not a huge fan of the EMGS they have "their" sound and you either like it or you don't.
    I didn't dislike it but it didn't "wow" me either.

Keep us informed

3. Atomic_gerbil

Atomic_gerbil SS.org Regular

That's probably a good idea, I might scope around for a local luthier to have him fix the buzz.

I think the problem will either be fixed or go away within the month, so I'll update for you guys.