Schecter C-7 Blackjack

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by telecaster90, Apr 25, 2005.

1. 7seven7

7seven7 Heavy-7-Master

I also own a Schecter Blackjack 7 and an Ibanez AX7221 - The Schecter beats the shit outta the Ibanez as far as sound goes and playability is about the same as the Ibanez, I have mine set up at Gravity strings here in St. Louis so thats a given. I love my Schecter Blackjack. I like the look of the Ibanez AX7221 better "I know", "I know", I sound crazy, I just guess that I love my 7 strings - although I still play my six string a lot, I am gradually making the change to strictly 7 string playing.

2. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

I've had mine for about a month. Here are a few things I can add. I can't stand the inlays. They disappear into the fretboard, and I can't see them. I like necks with no inlays, too, so it's not about visibility. I'd rather they used no inlays because these almost look like pieces of dirt or something. Also I dont like the fake cream binding. I wish it was more buttercup cream, or even bright white. It's very orang-ish and the color is in the binding itself, not the clear coat. The black/amber look is okay, but it doesn't blend at all with the smoked chrome hardware. So I replaced it with black hardware.

The pickups are fantastic, but I replaced them too, because I like to use my 7's like guitar/bass crossovers, and I do a lot of clean slapping/popping, and the Duncans were too "classic rock/metal" sounding for me. I used the Tone Zone, PAF, and I routed for a custom strat style single coil in the middle. So it's more versatile than stock, but stock was great, too.

I agree frets 23/24 are a bit wasted on this guitar. I would have rather had 22 and move the neck pickup up for a more traditional sound. Other than that, the wiring was neat, the truss rod works exceptionally well for a Korean instrument, and the fretwork was above average for that price range. I had to do a fret level, but it wasn't major. It's just because for my style of 7-string play I need really clean action. This guitar is a total bargain anywhere less than $600. I paid less than $400 because it was barely used.

3. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

You guys are complaining about access, you should've gotten the 007 blackjack instead. ;)

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Frank, could you post a pic of yours with the mods?? :cool:

I have to agree about the binding and inlays. The black pearl inlays are dark so you barely can see them. Again though... it's not like we need to see inlays so it personally doesn't bother me though some abalone inlays would look hotter IMO. Also, I never cared for the creme colored binding. It has that yellowed old plastic look to it. I've always prefer white binding, or abalone binding (I know, call me gay :p). Again though, that's all just cosmetics and it's not all that bothering to me.

As far as playability I love my C-7! When I first got it I was kinda annoyed about the edge of the guitar digging into my forearm (no beveling). I had been thinking of getting an RG7321 but held off and am glad I did. Now I'm totally used to it and don't notice the edge anymore.

Rev.