Schechter Demon 7 - Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by binz, Nov 29, 2017.

1. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Hello,

I am going to be very honest, I do not have the slightest clue about pick ups. I am playing a Schechter Demon 7 with 'Duncan Designed HB 105 7N and HB 105 7B' active pick ups. The guitar is usually tuned in Drop A, sometimes Drop Ab. I mostly play "djenty" stuff, but also pop / radio stuff.

Would an upgrade to some other Pick up pair be worth the money (and hassle) on such a rather cheap guitar? And if so, is there like a 'sureshot' pair, a 'classic' that one can recommend without hesitation to anyone. I scrolled through some of the threads here and I am a bit overwhelmed by abbreviations and (seemingly) random letter combinations.

I dont even know what I am looking for or if something bothers me about the current ones, because I dont have anything to compare it to. I guess I am asking because I want to experiment a little.

Best regards, Binz

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I always think that if you are happy with the sound, then put the money toward something else.

3. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

The DDs are basically Blackouts. The standards here are usually EMG, which i absolutely cannot get in to. But, you might like them. the metalworks ones (57/66 i think) are okayish, and the new retroactive are almost good to me. On the passive side, theres literally hundreds to choose from. But i hear nothing but good things about Instrumental

4. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Thanks for the recommendations. Quick googling the instrumental ones gave only positive feedback, but as I understand it you have to order them from the guy directly on facebook?

Quick googling the EMGs you recommend (57/66) sound promising as well, but I think I would prefer passive ones. Just for the practical reason that I guess mounting passive ones without wiring the battery seems easier and second because I sometimes have a hassle with my battery / the pick ups in general, it's like a loose contact and I am not sure if thats on the pick up or battery side (also one reason why I started thinking about exchanging them in the first place).

But maybe a more general question: Most pick ups are about 2x100 Euro, my guitars prize was ~500. I really cannot tell how big the effect of switching pick ups might be. Would you generally not recommend such "experiments" or could it be worth the money?

5. Zoobiedood

If you are happy with the pickups, then I don't think it is worth it. If there was a tonal problem with the pickups that kept you from enjoying the guitar, then, I'd say it is worth it.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

If you want to order instrumental pickups then yeah, talk to ethan on facebook. The SFTY3 pickups are relatively versatile imo and can do metal/whatever else you need em to.
    If you're not happy with how the stock pickups sound then swap em out. the pegasus/sentient set is a good versatile set that can usually be found used for cheap , they'll easily play the stuff you want to play.

binz likes this.
  7. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Sorry maybe my question was indeed ill posed. Maybe it was meant more like: How 'strong' can the pick-ups alone influence the guitar sound. And whether one could recommend any as I am not familiar with the topic at all. Thanks for patiently answering anyway!

Thank you very much. Do you happen to know the price(range) of the instrumental SFTY3 ones? I would feel pretty stupid asking the guy and declining if it was way over any possible budget. Also the seymur duncan pegasus/sentient sound promising from what I've read so far.

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you want to improve your rig look at your amp first.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

Ethan's a nice guy, just ask him what they cost, he'll tell you straight up. Pegasus and sentient are a fine combo for a lot of styles, plus they work well with boost pedals/overdrives/higher gain since they're not ridiculously high output.
    Congratulations on having the least helpful post in the thread. He never even mentioned his rig, that's like applying a tourniquet to a paper cut level of overkill. If OP can solve his tonal issues at the cheapest level first then there's no need to upgrade his rig.

binz likes this.
  10. Zoobiedood

I think pickups can have a huge affect on the sound. So you need to pick a power level, and EQ, and do some research. Hotter pickups will compress in the amp's input stage more, which some people like, and some hate. Lower output pickups will be more touch-sensitive.

binz likes this.
  11. budda

I think it's fair to guess that if he's rocking a Demon (not a bad guitar, btw) that his amp isn't as likely to be a mark V or dual rec. With that in mind, a great amp will make a cheap guitar sound good most of the time. A cheap amp will make a great guitar sound pretty cheap. I know someone who makes an Omen-6, stock, sound on par with records by international metal acts. How? Because he knows how to dial in his amps and effects.

I don't think it's foolish to recommend looking at a nicer amp if he's looking to spend a little $$ and experiment. Hell he could have a peavey rage 158 and a Fender Mustang III would be a great affordable investment in tone searching.

binz likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

I agree, I had a cheap guitar and amp setup years ago (ibanez rg3exfm into a crate solid state) that sounded like ass. Then I got my dual recto/f30 and it makes basically every guitar I've tried through it sound good (including that cheap ibby). I just don't think it's pertinent to recommend an rig/amp change when the OP asks for pickup recommendations.

13. binz

binz SS.org Regular

@budda All advice is appreciated, although your latter elaborate post was more helpful.

I am actually not using an amp at all but a line6 POD HD500X. As I am mostly playing in my room and focus on that + recording. So I don't plan on buying an Amp anytime soon, rather a software upgrade like bias. I hope the digital stuff is not considered heresy here ..

Okay maybe I will bother him then :D
    The latter sounds interesting as I don't just want to djent out but also do stuff like this with it. But at the same time this would mean those would 'less heavy/brutal' (or at least I would need to set gain etc higher then)?

14. KnightBrolaire

yeah the pegasus isn't super high output so it needs a boost or a bit more gain to really sound aggressive imo. Even the SFTY3 set needs a boost or a bit more gain to really tear shit up. For what you want to do the pegasus would be more versatile imo.
    here's a demo of the 8 string version of the pegasus I did:
    https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal/sets/seymour-duncan-pegasus-8-demo

binz likes this.
  15. budda

If you have that POD, you should definitely be able to get some tones that put a smile on your face.

Are you using other user presets or are you mostly making your own? I had a hell of a time dialling in my Pod HD so I sold it on. My brother makes a POD 2.0 sound awesome, in comparison.

Do you have any friends with guitars with "known" pickups (EMG 81/85, seymour duncan JB/Custom, etc) that you can compare tones with? That would be a good and free start to find out if you feel your guitar needs changing.

LeviathanKiller and binz like this.
  16. binz

binz SS.org Regular

thanks for the link! They (/you) definitely do djent :D

I usually try user presets from the line6 homepage or from youtube. Most of them sound sh.. for me but with some I am quite happy for a start. Soulhenge on youtube has some nice available. From there I usually start and then mess around and sometimes read something up on the meambobbo guide but honestly haven't spend too much time on that.

Thats actually a good idea, although I have very few friends from the metal realm I might be able to get my hands on a friends Ibanez RG. Other than that I only know my dad's Fender stratocasters :D