Scalloped Fretboards

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Caleb Pels, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Caleb Pels

Caleb Pels Death Metal Guitarist

Anyone in here play a 7 with scalloped frets? Additionally, i will be ordering my first custom guitar soon, i was wondering if scalloped frets are something most companies will do, and how much of an upcharge they usually bring.
    thanks

2. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I haven't played a guitar with scalloped frets, but super jumbo frets could get you close to the feel of scallops. Your fingers practically won't be feeling the fretboard.

3. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I scalloped the guitar in my Avatar on frets 21-24 to aid bending.
    Other than that 6100 or 6115 fretwire from Warmoth will get you similar height/clearance off of the fingerboard.

4. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

For maximum scalloped feel i'd go for Dunlop 6000 or Jescar FW58118. Big wires!

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

The only bummer with the 6000 is the width of the crown, takes some significant filing to get that intonation line on top down to a very fine line. The 6115 is similar in height to the 6100, but the pyramid shape of the 6115 crown is more friendly to intonate when doing a complete level/crown/dress to a fret job.

6. crik

crik SS.org Regular

my 2 7 string fender custom shop prototype strats and my scharpach 7 string acoustic all have scalloped boards. i vastly prefer scalloped boards to standard fingerboards.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I have a fully scalloped sixxer (that I made from Warmoth). It’s very weird to play a scalloped board in the lower registers. It’s cool, but not really a particularly useful thing for me. As opposed to something like a fan, etc. I’d love to get another one just to mess around with, because I so rarely play sixxers anymore.

8. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

i have never played a scalloped neck. i rather like the idea behind it and im certainly gonna try it pretty soon considering i just finished this: 43691166_430150594182005_2669618097710694400_n.jpg 43950474_2204317946269763_5400969920735346688_n.jpg
    now i just need a body to put it on haha

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Actually, that gives me a good idea. I have no idea how to successfully scallop a fretboard, but I have a couple guitars with FB dots - which I hate - so maybe I’ll scallop those dots right out.

10. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

@Dyster what tools did you use to scallop your own board? Also did you have inlay that you have to deal with?

11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I use these from the 24th frets down to about the 15th.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-10-in-Mill-Round-File/4307521
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-6-in-Mill-Round-File/4307501
    Go slow, go light, take your time to remove as little material in each stoke as is necessary.
    As a general rule, I never go within about 1/32" above the top of each side dot. No need to go any deeper than that to accomplish the desired results.
    Use one of these on the workbench to keep the neck stationary while working on it,
    https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...Necks_and_Fingerboards/Neck_Support_Caul.html

Take the fingerboard radius into consideration when filing so that you do not go too deep in the center of the fingerboard & file straight through the face dots.

Tape off all of the frets well, since even though you will move slowly with the file, you can still come in contact with the fretwire with the file, and the less you do that, the less that you have to clean up when you do your fret level/crown/dress.

Mathemagician and Defyantly like this.
  12. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

i used a dremel to remove most of the wood while saving the sawdust for later use filling and such, as rosewood is getting hard to come by now. a roundfile and sandpaper for the rest, take care not to completely ruin your frets. regular dot inlays but they were shallow, maybe 1-2mm thick

13. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I'd like to see your 7-string Fenders!

14. TonyFlyingSquirrel

Sawdust is good to save for later inlay work or patch work too, mix it in with some epoxy for filler work for fine areas.

15. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The high frets are actually the position where the risk of touching the fretboard is zero, even with skinny frets... :scratch:

16. TonyFlyingSquirrel

It still allows be to get further underneath & to the side of them to bend.

17. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Just to be clear, you should NOT order a custom guitar with a scalloped fretboard unless you have played one before and liked it. That would be mind-numbingly stupid.

And yes, any competent custom builder could do it for you. It does take extra time, so there will be an up-charge.

Personally, I hate the feeling of a scalloped fretboard. It only makes sense if you have an incredibly light touch. If you push harder, you'll just bend all the notes sharp.

Caleb Pels likes this.
  18. Caleb Pels

Caleb Pels Death Metal Guitarist

Definitely know i like it, thanks.