Scale Question

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by bran407, Nov 23, 2018.

1. bran407

bran407 SS.org Regular

Hello,

So I watched some youtube videos on scales on the 7 string. I just want to make sure this is correct. They said whatever you play on the Low E you would play on the Low b. So I understood it like this.

6 string

E-3-5
    B-3-5-6
    G-2-4-5
    D-2-3-5
    A-2-3-5
    E-3-5

7 string

E-3-5
    B-3-5-6
    G-2-4-5
    D-2-3-5
    A-2-3-5
    E-3-5
    B-3-5

2. odibrom

odibrom .

That doesn't make much sense, the statement, that is. Scales are tuning dependent, you should not understand them as a "per string" solution, but more as a "string-to-string note relation" kind of thing.

Also note that what you do on high E string, you'll do on low E string because they are tunned to the same note, though a couple octaves apart. The same happens with the Low B string, mirror the high B string... If you have a string tunned to the same note (different octave, most likely) as another string, in order to have a coherent scale/tonality sound, you must press the same frets on each string to on/inside the same tonality... does this make any sense?

3. bran407

bran407 SS.org Regular

@ 5:40 is what I mean So
    E-3-5
    B-3-5-6
    G-2-4-5
    D-2-3-5
    A-2-3-5
    E-3-5

Would be on a 7?

E-3-5
    B-3-5-6
    G-2-4-5
    D-2-3-5
    A-2-3-5
    E-3-5
    B-3-5-6

4. odibrom

odibrom .

At that time stamp, what he means is what I've said, he relates the high E+B strings with low E+B strings. The fingering pattern you do on the high ones will be the same at the same frets you'll do on the low E+B strings because they are tuned to the same pitch only 2 octaves apart. Again, this is dependent on the tuning you are using. If you have a drop A on the 7th string, this won't work as expected...

First you should understand how a scale works, the relations between its notes. Then, transpose these concepts into one string at a time, into one octave at a time. Then 2 strings, understand that the note relations on a string are the same as on the previous or next string, only a few frets backward or forward. This is studying horizontally. THe next phase is studying vertically, meaning going from low to high and back on the same fret position. This means that the fretting hand does not travel along the neck, but its fingers do travel from string to string at a 3 notes per string ratio (more or less). You should start with pentatonic scales which are simplier (only 5 notes per octave). There are 2 main modes which are major and minor. Then upgrade your study into the full Major and minor scales.

Do remember that playing in one tonality means that when you move from one string to the next one, you should be able to play the notes in the same scale. Because of this, you'll find patterns that cam map your fingerboard for a more visual understanding of the scales...