Scale Length

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by nkri, Apr 11, 2012.

1. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

I wanna refinish my 7621 over the summer, and since I'll be taking all the hardware out, I've been thinking of mods I might wanna do to it. The low B will not intonate (saddle spring is already as tight as it goes) so I was wondering if it would be possible to change the scale length (from 25.5" to 26.5" or 27") simply by moving the bridge farther down the body? Or would I need a new neck because the fret spacing would be way off?
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. GhostsofAcid

GhostsofAcid SuiƧmez fanboy

This wouldn't work due to the fret spacing. You might be able to change it with a conversion neck though. Somebody like Max can tell you more.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Bridge distance does NOT determine scale, that's a common myth these days. Scale is two times the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. Thus, moving the bridge won't effect scale in the least. What it will effect is intonation.

You can have a custom "conversion" neck made, but it'll be pricey and take a good amount of time to make.

4. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

Thanks, that's what I was assuming but just wanted to make sure.