Saving and loading all project files on Reaper from External Hard drive...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by bensjjjammin, Dec 27, 2015.

1. bensjjjammin

bensjjjammin SS.org Regular

Im trying to load my Reaper files on another computer. I have a Hitachi 2TB hard drive, so i installed Reaper, and when i try to access the project files, it asks me the name of the file that i should be looking for to Open it in full. The last 4 digits of the file are ending something like "1912", so i usually search that (I have Windows 8) Usually it finds it without a problem. I copied 2 of my folders containing ALL of my project files onto the new computer too. I still cant access certain projects. Dont know what to do, I use addictive drums, so i Installed that on the new computer as well after logging in XLN audio. but all i have is the incomplete projects. From the previous computer, i Started saving the files to the specific folders in the ext. Hard drive, I never changed the destination folder either... another thing i want to mention, if some of these missing files are on the old computer and not on the Ext hard drive, i wonder how it saved it there in the first place since i never changed the destination folder??

Please help, thanks in advance

2. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I highly recommend asking that in the official Reaper forums and you will have a solution pretty fast. It's also worth checking the forum search there, because I see this question not the first time ... sorry, no time for a detailled answer ... gotta drive to the office now.

Cockos Confederated Forums - Powered by vBulletin

3. col

col blah.

Make sure that all of the project files are actually in the project folders? You could have saved a midi file on your desktop for example and forgot about it?

4. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

^ This. If you don't set all the paths at project start Reaper will put files where it wants them. ;) Like Aymara said -check Reaper forum, this is a common issue, and may be what's going on in your case. :)

5. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

A further hint ... open the RPP file of the project in a text editor and check, if there are paths in it, that are missing on the target computer, e.g. a different drive letter for the USB drive, than on the source computer ;)

6. bensjjjammin

I tried opening the RPP in the notepad, but couldnt find any of the Paths to where it was saved. Another thing i want to mention, is im wondering why when i look at any other Wav files, its some red icon windows program opening it, for media. but its not Windows media player, or VLC which i downloaded, maybe some of it was VLC. Im thinking since this computer is still New, maybe it doesnt recognize the same files from the Reaper projects from the other computer??? I think in the past, i tried opening the Reaper files on my other laptop, and it was fine. but this new XPS 8700 maybe doesnt recognize it?? my older computer is also an XPS 8700, same exact, because i received 2 computers in the mail, when only asking for 1. lol,

7. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Reaper doesn't care about media file associations to media players.

It's a Reaper configuration issue. Ask the experts in the Reaper forum!

8. bensjjjammin

I see, thanks for responses. I tried asking Reaper forums yesterday, no answer yet. ill just wait i guess.

9. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I answered there to push the thread and clarify, what you exactly did. Your information might have been a bit hard to understand.

10. bensjjjammin

Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
    Let's try to better understand, what you did:

On the source PC Reaper is installed on drive C: as Addictive Drums too? And you saved the projects to a USB drive from inside Reaper and set the option to save media (your audio recordings) in the same folder as the project?

And on the target PC Reaper and Addictive Drums are installed in the same location (path) on C: and the path to AD is added to Reaper's VST path in preferences? And the USB drive has the same drive letter as on the source PC?

If not, try it this way, which should work.

my response on Reaper:

Im pretty sure i have that already. Basically, my Reaper and Addictive drums are in C:/program files for both computers. And my Hitachi drive has the same drive letter, which is where my projects are saved...

11. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

There's a little checkbox in the "Save As" dialog box in Reaper that says "Copy All Media to Project Folder" whenever I'm saving a new project for the first time, I make sure that box is checked (it seems to stay checked after you use it, but I always check anyways) and anything that you didn't create in the project (MIDI loops, Samples, etc) will get copied into whatever folder you're saving into. That way when you copy it to your external drive to share or work on another computer, all the files are there. The only time I have an issues is that I have some VSTi's on my "serious" laptop that my "play" laptop doesn't have, and those don't transfer. I used to lose samples and MIDI loops when transferring projects, and haven't had any issues since I've been doing this.