Same Sex Marriage now Legal in entire United States of America

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Jun 26, 2015.

1. asher

asher So Did We

estabon: I didn't make it up, it flies around another place I lurk quite a bit :lol:

Urban Dictionary: SATSQ

(though I like Silly over Stupid)

what else did I make up? :scratch: I got IOKIYAR there too.

2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I've had plenty of guys hit on me. I paint my nails, style my hair, have been known to wear makeup (BLUE EYELASHES FOR THE ....ING WIN), and used to be able to do chin ups with one arm. Not the more epic one handed chin ups though. *sigh*

My response to them was the same as too women I was not interested in. I really don't get why it bothers people. Also, gay marriage being legal or not really has nothing to do with getting hit on. Single people hit on and .... each other all the damn time. Crazy homophobes and their completely flawed, ridiculous and offensive logic.

Yes, the marriage had many more problems than just this issue. It appears it was a pretty abusive situation. Which just ups the number of people I know who have been in abusive relationships. The number is...staggering high. And includes literally all of my closest friends. Disgusting.

TLDR;
    Mint-Chocolate Chip ice cream is one of the most over-rated flavours.

3. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

4. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Really wish I could move away from the South.

5. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

6. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Odious, but legal. Tennessee has no statewide anti-discrimination protections for sexual orientation, and there's a state law preventing municipalities from supplementing the state protections after Knoxville, Memphis, and Nashville implemented local anti-discrimination ordinances. Clearly there's more work to be done.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

In a way, stuff like that is kind of a good thing.

Think about the confederate flag- it has been flying in too many places kept cozy by mealy-mouthed, polite language trying to obfuscate what it really stood for. Eventually, the jig had to be up- but look how long.

If you're going to be a bigot, don't be a coward, too. Go whole hog: let everybody see who you are and don't mince words. Only then will it be put upon people in the community to have to confront that ugliness and decide how to proceed.

8. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

HOLY SHIT! I totally forgot about that segment in MAD magazine, and it was often my favourite part of any issue. Gonna storm the internet to find a bunch of 'em. If we still had a rep system, I'd find a way to make you king of sevenstring, you magnificent bastard.

I didn't think you were actually making any acronyms up, it just makes me feel old and out of touch when I see one I don't recognise, so it makes me feel better to accuse people of wrongdoing rather than admitting to a gap in my knowledge :lol: Which, when I think about it, is exactly how the people we're complaining about are reacting to gay marriage. I'm an acronym homophobe. An acrophobe? :scratch:

Sure, but wasn't the confederate flag used as a rallying point to an extent? When people can get behind a symbol, or 'go whole hog' in numbers, they tend to think their stance is justified without any need for reasoning. I mean, we've seen the following suggestion on this forum fairly often over the last couple of months (especially after the 'cake shop' story): let people be publicly hateful, and then watch their connections to the community disappear as they lose all of their friends and / or customers. But our conversations on the social realities we encounter suggest that won't happen. The likeminded will support one another - for better or worse.

When I think about it, the ability to form subcultures, to create and stand behind symbols, and supporting fellow members of a small community while slowly winning the support of society at large were huge contributors to the dramatic shift in social and legal acceptance of equal rights for gay people. They might even have been as influential as using education, logical arguments, or basic appeals to human rights (which are three elements the homophobes pretty clearly don't have going for them). In theory, wouldn't 'going whole hog' actually help sustain the anti-gay movement far beyond its natural life span?

9. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

My thought is that it would do the opposite. I guess my point is that the confederate flag situation was something that, using your words, lived beyond its natural life span because it was allowed to become a moving target, collecting a variety of meanings (southern heritage/identity, states' rights, historical appreciation, etc.) that could be claimed to be less-insidious. It's much harder to confront something when the opponent can reply, "aw, well, it doesn't mean that..."

I'm not saying it's great for homophobes to be emboldened to go HAM with their beliefs, but I think if they're going to be homophobes then they should just tell it like (they think) it is, then the animus will be easier to identify and to challenge. Allowing their position to be a moving target (religion, tradition, "natural order", SCOTUS overstepping, state rights, etc.) provides the same plausible deniability as referenced above.

10. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Guys, it is SO fun being in Arkansas right now :lol:

11. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I live in SoCal and it's fun as hell to be here. Sure, we get the occasional nutbag that thinks this is the coming of the apocalypse, but for the most part a LOT of people are supportive of this. I have over 300 friends on my fb friend's list, and like 75% or more had either a rainbow or trans pride filter over their pics. I was so damn proud of them. :wub:

12. estabon37

Ah, that makes sense. Admittedly, being an outsider to American cultures / history makes it tricky to fully understand why anybody would rally behind a flag that most people tend to describe as a symbol of racism and / or dissent. In other words, I've only ever heard "what it really stood for" (from your previous post), as opposed to what its defenders might argue it stands for. The 'moving target' analogy works well.

13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

That's funny, I haven't seen anyone on my fb complaining about it. I guess no one who is very bigoted could be friends with me though :lol:

The thing I like best about this is that now we can shove it in their faces about how wrong they are. Your stupid opinion is so bad and wrong that the government had to make a law to stop your imbecilic beliefs. It doesn't matter how fuming mad they get; they can shout, they can cry, they can rant on fb, they can shoot steam out their ears but I can just put my thumb on my nose and say "I wonder how many gays are kissing each other on the alter right now while you speak. You know there's nothing you can do about it, right?"

14. TheFranMan

TheFranMan SS.org Regular

I've found the public opinion to be overwhelmingly supportive of the ruling among my peers. There are a few who try to lump this together with the Confederate Flag issue (what?). There are a few who said their Christian rights are being trampled. Blah blah, but overall I've been fairly content that most of those I associate with aren't totally backwards haha.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

16. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    According to the anti-marriage-equality people, they are in favor of a religious group like Muslims to deny others their legal rights, and to allow Muslim government employees to impose their religious beliefs upon others and to deny others the right to follow another religion, or to follow no religion at all.

In other words, Sharia law is okay.

Oh, it's *not*? It's treasonous to suggest that such a thing sould be okay?

Except when you're the treasonous one?

Special pleading fail.

Oh, it's okay for some hippies or communists to say they won't follow the rule of law, and the system of Constitutional law?

Oh, it's treasonous when someone else goes in that direction... but not when *you* do.

They wrap themselves in the flag, and eat Freedom Fries, but when it really comes down to it, they are the enemies of the American way.

And just like we look back at the racists and their idiocies, including their fights against civil rights for all, we are now looking at them in the present day and seeing their actions and bigotry for what they are.

It's ironic to see Jindal sideing with George Wallace, a man who wouldn't have let Jindal into white schools. I imagine when Jindal's children learn a bit more about US history, there will be some interesting conversations.

It's also interesting to see that Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who feels the Supreme Court decision is "lawless," is on the verge of indictment for securities fraud.

Texas Attorney General Facing Possible First Degree Felony Indictment - The New Civil Rights Movement

----

Regarding my Christian fundamentalist friends, they've been told that if I hear them acting against Jesus' law about treating others as they themselves would want to be treated, I'll loudly call them out as judgmental hypocrites. They've been silent on the matter to me all week.

17. andremacedo

andremacedo SS.org Regular

Love won. I'm happy for that. We need to learn to love each other differences. We are all equal, regardless.

18. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

All I can say is, it's about damn time!

It was just about a decade ago when one of my high school friends had to travel to Massachusetts to marry her wife, and getting other states, insurance companies, etc... to recognize that has been a challenge.

Marriage equality landed here in Arizona last October. Interestingly enough, when comparing things before and after gay marriages were recognized by the state, my father and his wife experienced no difference in their marriage. It's so crazy, it's like letting gay people marry doesn't affect straight marriages at all!

19. estabon37

The folks at 'Cyanide and Happiness' seem to be on point once again.

[​IMG]

20. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

I'll never understand why somebody could care what others do in their beds, I mean it's their lives so go take care of yours.
    Life is such an amazing game, so many places and cultures to know, so many batles to fight and things to learn plus this amazing beautiful nature which we can't live without still seems like some minds are soooooo tiny that they care about other people sex lives.
    As a musician and having dedicated all my life playing at night and during the day playing different sports, I had a bunch of moments with guys hitting on me, I thought it was funny, I just replied I like chicks and they just walked away.Even though I'm straight still I felt happy cause it's always good having people wanting to know me(us), that's never a negative thing.
    To me the dumbest thing is when somebody claims being gay is a choice, yeah somebody woke-up one day then decided to like the same sex and be treated as sht.I never ever chose to like chicks, one day at school I started looking to them, their sexy boobs growing and their hair waving with the wind and finally I felt attracted to them, it was never a choice, it just happened.......maybe......genetics?
    We're dropped in this world without any choices, we don't choose our countries, families, looking, social classes etc, we choose nothing but still to a dumb part of humankind being gay is a choice.The only thing we can choose is our characters, if we're good or bad persons.

One thing that makes me really proud is I never met a musician who had any kind of prejudice, all of them just wanted to make music and friends no matter their looking, social classes, colors or..............what they do in their beds.
    Well.....focus on being a good person instead of being a bad one and trying to make other people lives a nightmare, if you don't agree to something different than you, just walk away, this planet has a lot of room to walk alone, I prefer walking together and the more different people are from me, the better my journey will be cause I'll learn a lot more things.

BTW why in 2015 we still have problems about sex and skin colors, why?!
    There's only one race = human race, skin colors(looking) has nothing to do with races, so are fat people and skinny people different races?Why the hell different skin colors mean different races?
    What a dumb race we are, the only race that's covering nature with concrete and garbage = extinction BUT waste time with sex(the most natural thing ever) and skin colors(another natural thing).
    I'm really tired of those closed-minded "people".