Same Sex Marriage now Legal in entire United States of America

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Jun 26, 2015.

1. asher

asher So Did We

IOKIYAR: It's O.K. If You Are Republican.

2. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

If it's like in France, "marriage for all" is the easy part. About time!
    Then the difficult, chaos inducing discussions are around the right to adopt children and the right to use artificial procreations methods. That's when the fun starts.

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

A Facebook friend of mine's husband just broke up with her because can't be with someone who is a, "Faggot loving ass."

Unbelievable to me.

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Good riddance, sounds like.

5. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I agree, the guy sounds like a real piece of .....

I have just never actually experienced someone express that kind of hatred for minorities in my personal life. It...is...my brain has trouble processing it honestly.

6. asher

asher So Did We

Kitten that guy.

7. KristapsCoCoo

KristapsCoCoo SS.org Regular

Haha, this seems to actually affect some friendships and relationships, as I got into some serious argument over this with my girlfriend... I wonder how many breakups like this have already happened because of this... :rolleyes:

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Some people were super serious when they said it diminished their marriage. :lol:

9. michblanch

michblanch SS.org Regular

That relationship has deeper issues than gay marriage.

If gay marriage can break up your heterosexual marriage, then there wasn't much substance to it.

Just this morning at the office 2 coworkers a female and male were talking about how it's wrong.
    The male coworker tried to justify the ban by saying it hurts our tax system and now the government gets less money.

He is currently engaged. So I asked him if he will be moving from the higher tax rate of single to the less taxed rate of married? And when he has kids , if he will claim them.
    Guess the answer.
    So I then shot holes in his thinking.
    Then it all came down to, "well I don't want a gay guy hitting on me".
    I then explained that he was balding , overweight and not exactly prime rib for the rampant gay loving making circuit that is everywhere including our parking lot.

And besides if he gets tricked into some gay love making, then props to the gay guy that convinced him. Cause he is a player.
    Cause We can't even get the guy to clean up his coffee mess on the counter.

"The times they are a changing"

10. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I never understood the fear of being hit on aspect in general, but especially when it pertains to gay marriage, as whether or not they can get married they would still be gay AND they could still theoretically hit on you. Makes no sense.

11. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

If women aren't lined up to hump you, why would gay men? They're usually more attractive/better groomed anyway so if one thinks I look good despite doing little to nothing to maintain my appearance then I'm a sexy bitch. :nlb:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  12. ferret

ferret Not worthy

It's a masculinity thing. Homophobes fear being treated the same way they treat women.

13. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

Its hard for me to understand why people get SO uncontrollably upset over something that doesn't directly affect them. If youre not gay, don't worry about it! Its not going to affect you.

Its so sad to hear that people are intentionally not giving out marriage licenses... Why do people have such a strong vendetta to deny others their own personal happiness? :scratch:

But still we hear stories like the one a few comments above this, and that in itself is pretty heartbreaking.

14. asher

asher So Did We

Because they're bigots.

SATSQ

15. michblanch

michblanch SS.org Regular

The clerk of courts here in Houston is being smart about this until it gets sorted out.
    He is transferring anyone who can't issue a marriage license because of their religious beliefs to other departments.
    And licenses are being issued to couples wanting them.
    That's not the answer but at least it stopped the those hoping to bring their bigotry to the PUBLIC job.

16. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

Dude, you're making up acronyms like it's going out of fashion!

Closer to topic, the 'mascilinity thing' is stronger in my experience than any other factor. I live in a regional area, where 'how to be a man' is a more common conversation than religion. It's not even about fear of receiving the treatment they hand out; it's about maintaining the status quo. Part of the status quo is the idea that gay guys just aren't 'real men', because if you're loudly proclaiming your lust toward womenfolk, you're not a dude. I'm ashamed to admit, I bought into that crap until my late teens, and I found it hard to shake even in my early twenties (even though I wasn't replicating the behaviour by the end, I still believed it to an extent).

Such is the power of a belief system. Michblanch's golfing buddies, my old schoolmates, and many other men have a very narrow conception of 'acceptable' masculine behaviour. Not only do they consider these unwritten rules to be above reproach, but they treat each element as both a rite of passage and a means of social status: you're 'more' a man if you chase more tail, drink more booze, play / watch more sport. A single backward step means revoking man-status, and there's consequences for those that don't fit the mould in the form of constant verbal harassment, if not physical abuse. You don't need anybody to be in charge, and you don't need a written guide; you just need everybody to police one another's behaviour. Shit, now that I look at it, the belief in a certain form of masculinity is just Part A; Part B looks more like the Stasi (East Germany's secret police - the crazy fuckers were so obsessed with the lives of citizens that they even tried to profile people's scents. Thankfully, nobody would pull that sort of stuff these days.).

I don't know to what extent this sort of behaviour is prevalent amongst men in the US, or elsewhere in the world. I'm sure that it's more common to specific areas or subcultures, which is pretty much the case here in Aus. In any case, it sounds as if the Supreme Court decision is more of an extremely important legal landmark in a process of change that is still far from finished. It's great that the larger Western culture has changed enough to enable this decision, and it's great that it has been generally well received internationally. It's just a shame that some golfing partners, some dickhead public officials, and some complete-fuckwits-with-scary-hair-that-are-currently-running-for-president think that when the whole world is leaving them behind, it must be the world that's wrong.

EDIT: I wrote 'the' where I should have written 'be', and have had my man-status revoked accordingly.

17. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I wish I still worked at an ice cream shop like I did in high school. I'd start denying people mint chocolate chip ice cream because I don't like it. :lol:

What these people are doing isn't much different honestly...

19. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

You don't like mint chocolate chip ice cream??? :(

YOU ARE PERSECUTING MY RIGHT TO ENJOY ICE CREAM!!! STOP THIS BLASPHEMOUS HEATHEN AND REPENT OF YOUR WAYS!!! :scream:

20. metaldoggie

metaldoggie Pro smeghead

:ban:

I love mint chocolate!

On topic - I love it when the law is changed to tell bigots to go f*ck themselves. Sadly it won't remove them from the planet, but eventually the general populace of apathetic non-thinkers will come to accept equality as the norm and those who are single mindedly hateful will be shunned.

A happy result on behalf of many friends and potentially one of my kids (going through an uncertain time).