Same Sex Marriage now Legal in entire United States of America

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    This is a current event, and central to many people's lives.

On the plus side, there is not a single right in my private life which I've now lost over that Supreme Court decision.

There is also no public official who has lost a right, only the mistaken idea that they can impose their own religious views upon others while acting as a secular public official. A public official should not be able to deny a marriage license because the potential marriage is Satanic, Hindu, or anything else the public official disagrees with in private life.

For those who are upset about someone else's marriage, part of that person's private life, consider this: In a few decades, you'll be in the same position as folks who currently hate on "the blacks" and about interracial marriage. You might think they have a point, and you (and they) have a right to believe what they want, but the rest of society also has a right to repudiate that kind of thinking, just as happened with slavery and women being able to vote.

2. necronile

necronile SS.org Regular

Hope in the world has restored

3. ferret

ferret Not worthy

It's not quite over....

Abbott says state agencies may withhold benefits from same sex couples - Houston Chronicle

The next phase is already beginning. Yeah, they can get married, but that doesn't mean they get the same benefits unfortunately. I don't understand how anyone can honestly believe withholding benefits or rights will fly, but they probably don't care and plan to fight tooth and nail, even if they know they'll ultimately lose again.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Baby steps, man

5. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Oh I've been expecting the usual legal redtape that these crazy bigots like to make use of when they don't get their way. They'll stall, they'll stamp their feet and cry like little bitches, but SCOTUS has the final say in the matter. They'll have to just shut up and deal with it. In the meantime as a courtesy to your fellow man, if you see a hater complaining about this, just hand them a box of tissues. They'll need them.

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

FWIW, I know first hand that insurance companies and whatnot already plan on offering coverage (some already have been for awhile as a courtesy through domestic coverage). The only thing being added to the discussion is the issue of common law marriage apparently, since you don't technically have to get married to be married. The only knew requirement being added currently, or rather enforced, is that you have to get your marriage officiated, but insurance companies aren't planning on straight up denying coverage as of yet (or at least not at the companies in Houston I'm knowledgeable about).

On that note, you got to love that the people who whine about this being made a big deal are always the ones who seem to aid in dragging things out forever.

7. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

When I hear conservatives screaming about how this should have been (and other civil rights issues should be) "left to the states to decide" I just remember that in 2000 Alabama had an unenforceable ban on interracial marriage in their constitution and when they allowed the public to vote on whether or not it should be removed from their constitution and 40.51% of voters voted against removing it.

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

When people say, 'leave it up to the states' what they really mean is, 'leave it in the place where I'm more likely to get exactly what I want despite having little actual stake in the matter (unless they're gay)'.

9. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I got unfriended on Facebook by like 5 people today because of voicing my support! OH NOES! I FEEL REALLY BAD ABOUT NOT BEING A BIGOT! :lol:

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

11. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

The political views on my Facebook are split down the middle amongst my friends. There are the normal people, who are excited, and then there are.. those people.

Seriously, someone CRIED because of the ruling. Cried as in they were upset. Like, oh god what if we catch the gay GRAB THE CHILDREN WE'RE MOVING TO CANADA!...... slightly exaggerated... slightly :lol:

Some of it actually made me a little upset. The bassist in my band is gay, and he and his boyfriend are perfect for each other and they are so happy together. To know that some of these people would want to have his rights taken away is a bit sickening.

12. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Funniest part about that is that it's been legal in Canada for quite so time now :lol:

13. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

14. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Maybe he's still trying to figure out G, C, D...

15. michblanch

michblanch SS.org Regular

"Abbott's directive ordered the heads of state agencies to prioritize religious freedom, writing that no adverse action should be taken against a state official "on account of the person's act or refusal to act that is substantially motivated by sincere religious belief."

Your refusal to act as a public employee directly violates the rights awarded by the SC.

If you don't want to issue licenses for gays and feel so strongly about it then resign from your F'ning job.

It's very simple. You work for the state , you are not a privately owned cake shop.
    This opens the door for judges, JOP's , clerk's of court and other agencies to cry "It's against my religion".

He's an idiot who fails to see that he is in the shrinking minority just like the people I played golf with yesterday.

Jesus it's aggravating.
    I argued with a guy yesterday who said it diminished his marriage.
    I told him the only thing that diminished his marriage is the fact that he drinks 15 beers playing golf, loses any sense of decorum and hits on the cart girl hoping he can .... her. Told him that he hits on women nonstop while his wife and kids are at home and that is what hurts his marriage.

I'm still pissed off and in a bad mood over dumb .... like this.
    Even in the clubhouse, old farts, homophobes and jag offs were acting like the sky feel.

There was a gay rights parade here in Houston yesterday and I'm proud of my kids for going and I tell people they went.
    This bull.... has to end!!

16. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

No doubt he can rely on double-think to be at peace with his behaviour not lining up with his claims. Hell, Donald Trump's recent response to the question "What's traditional about being married three times?" was to say "...good point. I've been a very hard-working person, and actually, I have a great marriage". When pressed to stick to the topic, he responded: "I really don't say anything ... I'm for traditional marriage".

When someone hasn't spent any time actually questioning their beliefs, the only two things you can virtually guarantee is that they'll be pissed off that somebody asked them to justify their stance, and that they'll translate their feelings of anger into an accusation that you're attacking them and whatever belief system they're using to support their stance. I'm not even talking about religion here; I live in an area where anytime you call someone out on a homophobic remark, the 'defence' is always tied to 'being a man', or 'I just don't want some dude checking me out', or some other masculine bullshit. When people model their behaviour off an ideal, or a belief, it's really tricky to get them to realise that the existence of alternative beliefs suggests that theirs is not an absolute reality, and they'll fight tooth and nail to maintain the illusion.

If one seriously considers their marriage to be diminished by another's marriage, then you have to wonder on one hand how little their partner means to them, and on the other hand whether other marriage practices have already diminished their marriage into virual non-existence. People get married to subvert visa laws. People get married to obtain wealth. People spontaneously get married in Vegas because they think it's funny. People get married because their families want them to. Hell, there are likely thousands of cases of heterosexual couples having families and living fantastic, fulfilling lives that never bothered getting married. At this stage, if factors exterior to your relationship actually diminished your marriage, it would have shrunk into nothingness by now.

So, I agree with your assessment of your fellow golfer:

But then you started picking on minorities:

Shame on you! :lol:

17. ferret

ferret Not worthy

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

power to USA for getting this through . sad Australia is still quite a distance off

In the day and age with so much bad stuff in the world it blows my mind people still get upset about who people fall in love with and choose to spend their lives with

its so self indulgent to think that if there is a God he ( or she) gives an F about what you do with your bits .

19. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

The attorney general here is playing the "I'm mad that things didn't go my way so I'm going to subvert/break the law in retaliation".

Funny thing is a lot of people in the anti crowd down here are playing the 'Supreme Court is overreaching its authority' card, but it's BS. Anytime the conservatives have gotten their way using whatever means they can (including the Supreme Court) they don't question the method...until it doesn't work for them. At the very least it's amusing (sad?) to see how many people don't understand how the law and our government operates. The ignorance is so strong they don't even realize when they're being gigantic hypocrites. Sadly, I get to see this more often since anytime religious related laws come up the same ignorance peaks its head out to play some more.

If my family and close friends didn't live here I definitely wouldn't be...