S7G 8 String --> Rhodes Colossus H-100

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by protoplasma, Oct 21, 2011.

1. protoplasma

protoplasma Rhodes Amplification

Here's a video of the charismatic Allan Marcus playing one of his 8 string guitars through a Colossus H-100. Allan is a full-time luthier for Strictly 7 Guitars, a bad ass player, and one funny dude. :hbang:

The amp is running at bedroom-ish levels for the first two clips. The video was recorded in the evening and he couldn't really crank it up. The clean bass demo at the end was at performance volume, as you can hear by the iPhone mic clipping in parts. :D

Skip to 1:30 for some 8 string action through Lead 1 (Andy Wood voicing mod engaged), 2:40 for some soloing on Lead 2, and 4:10 for some bass-style playing through the Clean channel. :lol:

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Thoughts of simply getting a poweramp from you fading...fading...

3. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Sounds great! Thought at some point, I'd love to see another with more :tmm:, less meedley-mee - I want to hear how mean these can get. Seems like they have a great fundamental tone.

4. Might-is-Right

Might-is-Right As a Lion...

HAHA, thats what happened to me my friend. now the Colossus sits in my studio room. resistance is futile.

TMM, that amp can get as mean as you want it!

5. protoplasma

While it's not 8 string stuff, it is in C (maybe B?), the first two songs here --> Rhodes Amplification's sounds on SoundCloud where recorded with all Colossus. There are others on my SoundCloud page to check out as well.

Also there's Jason's killer demo:

HOWEVER, Allan (dude in S7 video) is entering the studio next week to record his Drake Equation project. I've heard some of the writing/ideas and it is going to freaking slay. The dude plays drums as well and it's just unreal. Oh, and yes, it will be all Colossus featuring his new signature 9 string! :hbang: :hbang: :hbang:

6. protoplasma

I forgot to mention, the studio/engineer Allan records with is the very same as the Devin Townsend Project!

7. protoplasma

Thanks!

While I've had a lot of requests for power amps, it's very difficult to offer one at a cost-effective price when I'm building in small quantities.

Also, while my power sections are tweaked and tuned to my liking (tight, lots of balls, and smooth) using custom iron and powerful power supplies, I feel like I offer something more eye/ear-catching with my preamp designs. The Rhodes tone I'm developing comes from the sum of all the parts, and the preamp is where a lot of it lives. :evil:

8. protoplasma

Oh yes, Ted and I had many emails and conversations about this sort of thing. He was considering keeping his giant Mesa power amp and having me build him a simple 2 channel preamp to mate with it. Once he had the Colossus demo amp in his clutches I gave him instructions on how to pair its preamp with the Mesa power section. Well, the rest is history, he has the whole shebang now! :metal: