Rundown of the Mesa Subway Bass DI-Preamp

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by IdentityDevice, Oct 24, 2017.

1. IdentityDevice

IdentityDevice SS.org Regular

Got a Mesa Subway if anyone is wanting to check it out or thinking about getting it or whatever :)

2. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

Not too shabby, the eq seems to be pretty usable and gives out a lot of room to tweak. Would have been nice if you've cranked the input/gain, I always like to hear the hair on these boxes (because that is what defines the usability for me).

Thanks for the vid.

IdentityDevice likes this.
  3. IdentityDevice

Thanks for checking it out man. I wanted to do that but the volume difference would probably blow someones speakers and then they'd hate or sue me or something hahaha I'm did a video on the Alpha Omicron today and will probably redo it tomorrow because I just wasn't happy with it but i'm wondering now if I should set the level or move it around as you suggested. hmmmm. What do you think? I did move it around today but it's crazy differences in volume and I had to go in and automate the volume in spots that got insane loud. I want it to be an honest and accurate representation but I just don't want it to be painful or a pain in the a** to listen to/watch.

4. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

Hmmm.. If the overall volume goes bonkers while you crank the input (and not move the Master), then I think it's designed to be like a pre / post gain setup, and not a pure gain vs. master volume. The idea might be that it simulates an older tube amp (preamp tubes, power amp tubes) in that sense that to get a better sound you have to crank it. Is there any level adjuster for the DI?

5. IdentityDevice

No just a level knob. Level, blend, Alpha/Omega, and drive knobs.

6. IdentityDevice

You know what man I think I might be mistaken. On the Alpha I think the level actually just acts as a volume. Getting a better idea after listening closer in headphones. So I should be good to just leave the level alone.

7. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

Interesting device, never even heard of it

IdentityDevice likes this.