Roy Moore accused of sexually assaulting a 14 year old

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Drew, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    And now, one more moore complication.

A former mall employee from Moore's town states Moore was on the mall's ban list for soliciting sex from young girls.

http://people.com/politics/roy-moore-badgered-teen-girls-alabama-mall-1980s/

There's also CNN video of an interview with the employee, but I just think it's amazing that even People Magazine is doing a better job of real journalism than Faux. *laugh*

People Magazine means that even housewives will be reading this stuff.

AxeHappy and bostjan like this.
  2. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Trump didn't do jack shit, the DOJ, and FBI bust pedophiles. What, do you think fuhrer Trump busts down the doors of pedophiles houses after he was sworn in with an AR-15 in one hand, a bald eagle in the other, and proudly exclaims "you're fired" before booking them? Law enforcement agencies will continue to do their jobs regardless of who's president.

This is also another textbook example of one of the rights favorite tactics, whataboutism. We say "Moore is a pedophile" You say "what about the FBI busting a huge pedophile ring?" (and you somehow give Trump the credit for it, and that in itself is a really astounding level of delusion)

You might as well have said "Well what about Salmon migration patterns???" and it would be just as relevant to the conversation.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The People Magazine article seems to understate this.

Here's a quote from https://www.newamericanjournal.net/2017/11/politics-makes-strange-bedfellows-but-jesus-not-this/ :

I'd like to hear what Moore has to say in response to that claim. I'm pretty sure he'll just say that it isn't true. But with two separate allegations of sexual assault against a minor, which he denies, and the widespread stories of him actively seeking romantic interests with very young girls, which he does not deny, things were already looking bad. This claim that he was banned from two different establishments associated closely with teenagers for "soliciting sex" is flat out damning. If that statement is true, then I don't see how he's going to keep himself out of jail at this point, even if he does shockingly win the election.

But that's how these arguments always work...
    I mean, look at these pizzas! Terrible! These pizzas were made by child slaves in a secret underground bunker in Hillary's basement! We won't stand for child slavery. And the plague. Look at Africa! The plague! Hillary. Child slaves. The plague. Hillary. Terrible... Therefore vote for the GOP.

It's a satirical caricature of the sort of political discussions I hear around the break room where I work. If it's bad, associate it with the person you don't like. If it's good, associate it with the person you support. No facts or logical correlations matter anymore in politics, and that can be said for some people who support each party...I just think it is more prevalent with one party's supporters than with the others, personally. And, well, maybe it's just because those people are louder and more obnoxious than the others, but the perception of mine is shared by plenty of other people, so...eventually, the GOP comes to the point where it is the party that represents stupidity more than the alternatives (not that there are any parties right now that represent wisdom and integrity absolutely, but you have to admit that there are generalizations that are easy to make at this point in time).

AxeHappy, zappatton2 and vilk like this.
  4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

:lol: this reminds me of a satirical post I made on a different website yesterday

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Somewhat encouragingly, when these allegations started breaking was more or less the time when McConnell dropped his "if true" equivocation and when there began to be some serious talk about the GOP expelling him from the Senate if he won. Still, he's still the slight favorite, which is kind of, well, abhorrent. Alabama voters seem to think it's better to be a pedophile than a Democrat, if polls can be believed.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. bostjan

The poll that counts is yet to happen, but...hmm, well, again, I'd have to look more into their platforms. I read a little about the opponent running against him, and he seems like a decent guy for a politician, on the surface, and his platform seems to be pretty standard fare, so, unless Moore promised to give away hundred dollar bills every Friday or something, this doesn't seem to add up in a rational way.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

White Evangelicals. Remember that Moore got thrown off the state court, twice, for refusing to uphold the separation of church and state, and the Democratic Party is the party of same-sex marriage and abortion rights. The Evangelical voters are still firmly behind Moore, because they either 1) don't believe the accusations, or 2) think that while Moore is personally repugnant, he is still capable of being a Soldier of God in defending their religion against those Godless Democrats on the Senate floor, or some crap like that. Sort of the reason Trump still won - sure, he allegedly assaulted a whole bunch of women, divorced a couple times, cheated on his wives... But, he'd put a good Conservative justice on the Supreme Court, so he's merely an imperfect vessel for the Word of God.

Jones made his name prosecuting Klansmen for the murder of a couple 13 year old girls, which adds another wrinkle to this. While Jones was busy defending teenage girls, Moore was molesting them.

zappatton2 and vilk like this.
  8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I may or may not have already said this in this thread, but Trump won the Evangelical Christian vote in-full when he pantomimed a partial birth abortion during the 3rd debate. There's just nothing an Evangelical Christian mind can do to overcome it. He instantly transformed the complex, multifaceted question of political policy into a simple one: baby murderer vs. non

Trump won by understanding how stupid and simple Americans are, by taking advantage of how totally shallow their political opinions and identities are.

cwhitey2 and zappatton2 like this.
  9. bostjan

Yeah, Jones seems like a cool cat. I think that's maybe his problem, like you said.

By comparison:

Moore is staunchly anti-abortion, believing that life begins at conception. Jones says that the current restrictions on abortion are enough and does not want to seek changes with the law. I guess that's where people in Alabama already lost touch with Jones. Personally, I think that the whole debate over when life starts is idiotic. The egg is already a living cell, as is the sperm. When the two cells combine to make a zygote, which is already a living cell, life was not created, but passed onto a new genetic entity...but whatever.

Moore is also staunchly anti-LGBTQ+, anti-muslim, anti-immigrant, pro-racial-segregation, and pro-confederacy. Personally, being pro-confederacy makes him ineligible to serve in the federal government, as he doesn't even believe in the federal government. I mean, if he can be a congressman, then I, as an atheist, can be a Catholic bishop, but, again, whatever, I guess none of this stuff needs to make a damn bit of sense.

Moore believes that pre-school classes should be banned by law, because children are "much more likely to learn a liberal social and political philosophy" there than at home. Dafuq?!

Moore believes in amending the first and fifth amendments, so that there is no freedom of speech and no separation of church and state. He thinks that the official US Flag Code etiquette guide already is enforceable as criminal law (it's not, and no lawmaker should ever get a pass not knowing that fact), and he thinks that evolution is something unsupported by simple facts.

He also was one of the key people leading the birther nonsense against Obama. Don't like Obama, no problem...believe in birtherism? - stupid, but whatever, you have your opinion...but to go and start baseless rumours against someone, well, that's libel and makes you a bad person.

After studying up on this guy, I would say that a) his political beliefs are absolutely incompatible with my own, and, b) totally aside from that, he is a willfully ignorant piece of garbage and if he was choking on a hot dog near me, I might suddenly forget what the Heimlich maneuver is. Fuck Roy Moore.

AxeHappy and zappatton2 like this.
  10. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Nitpicking here, but that isn't whataboutism. Whataboutism is when you point out an opponent's flaws in response to them pointing out yours, rather than addressing or refuting their claims. So it'd be more like the Left saying "Moore is a pedophile," and the Right replying with "what about Bill Clinton? He committed adultery in the White House!"

That definitely is a common GOP tactic, of course. I definitely wouldn't dispute that. It's just not what's happening in the example being discussed. To get extra fancy, claiming that an increase in pedophile busts that took place after Trump took office happened because Trump took office is probably more accurately categorized as the fallacy "Post hoc ergo propter hoc," or "After this, therefore because of this." It might also be a bit of a Red Herring, haha.

zappatton2, AxeHappy and vilk like this.
  11. Explorer

Well, it's up to eight women accusing Moore, and the one dude.

Since some of the women are Republican, it's pretty funny to still hear that "liberal conspiracy" crap surfacing.

AxeHappy likes this.
  12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

^embed not working correctly... skip to 6:17 in.

13. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

It took no more than a few posts for this to turn into a Republican vs Democrat shitfest. Instead of admitting than anyone (regardless of political affiliation) who does something as disgraceful as this are the shit stains on the underwear of life, how about we just point fingers at the other party for being the shitbags they are? I'm sure that's going to solve problems, bet your bottom dollar.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I think you'll notice that only one party, out of two parties, agrees with your sentiment that anyone who does something as disgraceful as this are shit stains. That could be one possible reason why the issue may naturally be examined from a partisan viewpoint.

No one is saying that you are conservative, therefore you sympathize with a sex offender. What we are saying is presently elected conservative officials are sympathizing with a sex offender.

synrgy likes this.
  15. bostjan

Here's my extra hypocritical post:

Roy Moore is a dirtbag. Anyone who tries to make a thread about dirtbag Roy Moore into a thread about something else is guilty of whataboutism, including making the thread about whataboutism or making the thread about how bad and hypocritical whataboutwhataboutismism, or ... I think I just confused myself.

Anyway, Roy Moore is a dirtbag, whataboutism sucks, and whataboutwhataboutismism is just going to accomplish the purpose the whataboutism was supposed to accomplish anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/19/us/jones-alabama-democrats.html

So Moore is losing momentum in the polls...but he's still in the lead?! WTF Alabama?!

AxeHappy likes this.
  16. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

17. bostjan

What would Jesus do?

"And Jesus said unto them: 'Let all who will listen to the Word of God vote not for the Pharisee, not for the Sadducee, not for the Jezubite, nor for the Democrite, but for the Republican, no matter of the sins he hath cast before his race, so that the sodomite and the man who has confusion about his gender should weep and gnash their teeth, so that the leper will have no place to seek treatment for his sickness, nor that the athlete shall be any longer able to refuse to bend his knee to Caesar. Let us not judge the man for his sins, but let us instead judge the man based upon his liberal tendencies, so that he may be cast into the flames as a heretic in accordance with his quest for equality, so that he may burn himself out of our minds. Voteth not for the one who so opposes thy incumbent!'"
    -No Bible Verse Ever.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...ar&tidr=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.47055c3f8877

Remember those Project Veritas idiots, and James O'Keefe? The guys behind the DNC email they had heavily edited and claimed was "proof" Clinton was sending paid protestors to Trump events, or something like that? They had an agent contact the Washington Post with a story about getting impregnated by Moore at 15, the Post's quick background check didn't tie out, so they secretly filmed the meeting themselves. At it, the woman kept moving her purse to make sure it had an unobstructed view of the journalist even when she moved hers, and she kept pushing for assurances that her story would definitely make Moore lose (presumably so they could edit the video afterwards to make it look like that's why the Post wanted her to come forward). She abruptly ended the video when the Post journalist confronted her with a printout of a GoFundMe to move to NY to take a job with the conservative media attacking the mainstream media, and when they followed her to a Project Veritas office, figured they'd pre-empt anything they could do with the video, and run the story themselves. :lol:

Edika likes this.
  19. Explorer

I came to post that O'Keefe/Project "Veritas" story myself.

It's pretty astounding that O'Keefe is so dumb... but he just caused this situation because he's apparently unaware, like much of the Fox News staff, of what actual journalistic investigation is, as well as journalistic ethics.

Many current conservatives think that news is just something invented by the writer, in the same way many conservatives feel the same way about science. Both mistaken beliefs ignore that actual evidence is necessary before making claims about reality.

zappatton2 and xzacx like this.
  20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The more people realize O'keefe is a fraudulent hack, the better.