Rondo music shipping.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Zomboir, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Zomboir

Zomboir SS.org Regular

Does anyone have experience with Rondo Music shipping stuff internationally? I was looking at an interceptor 7, which is very reasonably priced, but the VAT and import duty shipping it to the UK is extortionate and I'm on a student budget. Anyone have any tips on getting it into the country cheaper, but legally?

2. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

You don't have a warranty if you order from outside the US. I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Zorkuus

Zorkuus SS.org Regular

This. The shipping costs and VAT are only a minor inconvinience compared to this. You'd basically be making a gamble with your money.

4. markbolwell54

markbolwell54 SS.org Regular

Mate, i'd kill for one too but haven't brought one for the same reasons.

5. Zomboir

Zomboir SS.org Regular

Devastating isn't it man. Why the fuck should our government profit from something made and sold in another country? It's bloody robbery, especially when stuff over here is so expensive.

6. TwitTheShred

TwitTheShred SS.org Regular

I'm in the same boat myself, every time i save to make the gamble i seem to talk myself out of doing it and buy sumthing cheaper becuase the lack of warenty scares the hell out of me.

7. jackfiltraition

jackfiltraition SS.org Regular

Both the guitarist in my band and i took the gamble and won and i think it's well worth it! Rhondo were fantastic with customer service and the guitar got here so quick and tracking was extremely up to date and reliable! I say go for it! These guitars are amazing for the price!

8. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

don't know what to say about this cause' i'm 50:50 on ordering one myself.
    my friend ordered an agile 8 string (really can't remember what model) and the price was 499$. with customs, shipping and jadda jadda jadda the final price was 900$.
    so really don't know is it worth it...

kinda sucks that europe has higher prices then the US but that's that...

p.s. there's a funny story here -> one other friend wanted an agile 8 so bad that when he found one (that was bought for 600$ new, and put up for sale @ about 1250$ -> rare guitar, small country what can you say :D ) he traded in his COW7 with a SD Blackout, 200$ cash and 2 analog pedals... i told him he got robbed but his comment was:"i always wanted an 8 string"

i lold...

9. Ninetyfour

Ninetyfour SS.org Regular

Comes to about £650, it's not worth it man. Especially without a guarantee or warranty.

10. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

the theory is because buying from outside of the country takes money away from people in the country.

11. black_anther

black_anther SS.org Regular

I bought my Septor Pro in November and I think my tax bill came to something like 100 quid but its worth it for the guitar you get about £580 in total with shipping and tax. I couldn't find a guitar I liked as much as this in the UK for cheaper. I looked at the Schecter Damien 7 Elite which equated to about the same price. Oh and that price included a case too, you wouldn't get that with a Schecter necessarily.

I suppose the only way you'd get round it is if you know somebody in the states who you could get it delivered to first. Only someone that you really KNOW though, and trust, not just dodgy forum dudes ;). Then get them to post it as a gift, obviously this will delay the delivery time too. I think it took just short of a week for it to get to me. Ordered it Sunday, delivered Friday.

12. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

That's not much of a theory, it's a fact.
    Customs and indirect taxes are intended as a penalty for things your government is harmed by.

Regardless, yes - Rondo's shipping policy is problematic.
    I'm not one to stick my nose in other people's business and i'm sure they have their reasons, but they wouldn't be the first company to face the challenges of a global economy and if others have done it, i'm sure they can too.

13. Zomboir

Zomboir SS.org Regular

The UK government are no better than a bunch of brigands charging you to cross their path. They have no right to any money from an external sale, especially not at 20% of the pre-shipping price in tax.

14. Zorkuus

Zorkuus SS.org Regular

All countries have import taxes. It's to make sure your country stays functional. People would start loosing jobs en masse if everyone would buy stuff at half the price from abroad. They're not doing it just to piss you off, it's beneficial to you too in the long run.

But I do agree that anything beoynd ~20% is a bit extreme.

15. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I orderded an Interepid 8 string about a year and a half ago or so. Still with import tax added it was a great price, IMO.
    But the one thing that I was scared of was the no-warranty issue, so even if the guitar had arrived broken, there would have been no warranty whatsoever. I decided to take the risk, and I was lucky, the guitar arrived just fine. It had one minor dent on the edge of the fretboard, but maybe such minor things are kinda usual in the lower price segment?

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

As someone who ordered half a dozen Agiles and sent two back I can't recommend them to folks without warranty. If you're dying for an Agile, pick up a used one from here, at least then it's already been checked out for issues.

17. Zomboir

Zomboir SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info man. I'm already in talks with someone on here about buying their Ghost 7, so looks like I'll get one after-all.