Rondo Fanned-fret Headless Basses

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 27, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That's a good point, but then, if that's a major concern, honestly, why even bother with a headless? I'm not trying to be reductive, but if the headpiece assembly has to be 2" away from the nut, you're only cutting down maybe 50% of the length of the headstock and moving the centroid of the instrument an inch and a half. I guess any benefit justifies the idea, but just from my perspective, when you've seen the photos of basses like the LeFay and GNG posted above, it makes it seem, on the surface, like the tapering problem is surmountable. I'm sure that the only way to really know intimately how much pain is involved in sourcing strings, would be to own one of each.

2. exo

exo SS.org Regular

To be 100% honest, the ass end of Rondo's headless efforts thus far make ZERO sense to me, and the "headstocks" not much more regardless of if it's a bass or guitar.!The entire point of "headless" is to have a compact footprint and ergonomic nature, and the efforts thus far miss the mark

Gimme a headless fanned fret 24.75-26.5" version of a Hadron 727 combined with an Ibby RBM, 12-16" compound radius fretboard, and THEN we're talking as far as guitars go, and a 34-37" multiscale bass with the same basic specs would tick off a lot of boxes for other folks as well I'd imagine....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

bostjan actually i agree that the best design has the string clamps as close to the nut as possible, minimising the length beyond the nut increases tuning stability, Steinberger had the right idea (apart from requiring double ball end strings).
    This would require clamps that can accept large gauges, but the advantage is no more worrying about whether the string has tapered down before it reaches the clamp.

Current bass design is irritating in how you need to find a string length that has a nut-end taper that is between nut and tuner post, and this is irritating for string makers too, having to produce strings in a range of winding lengths in 2" steps.
    A headless with a large clamp means one less worry, as long as the winding length is long enough for the scale it will work, you can then use normal bass strings on short scale basses.

bostjan likes this.