Rondo Fanned-fret Headless Basses

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 27, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Sweet, but why only 35" on the 5 string? Maybe later they'll do a longer one. Also, maybe later, they'll come up with a more compact head piece. I'm intrigued by the bridge, though, and the top looks tasty.

EDIT: Actually, on second look, I'm concerned about the small distance around the tuners, especially on the 4 string. I'd have to try it myself, before judging, though, but just from the look of it, it looks like it might be a little bit of a pain.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the 4 string is right up my alley.
    I would have imported one had it been 34-37 scale.

Looks sweet.

also yeah the tuners do look awkward.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Seeing as the Vader bass isn’t available multiscale....is this one of the only fanned headless basses in existence?

5. bostjan

Watson http://www.watsonguitars.net/12B053.html
    [​IMG]
    Rainer at LeFay Bass Engineering has headless and multiscale and multiscale headless
    [​IMG]

I think there was another high end option as well

EDIT: Yeah, Negrini (lesser known)
    [​IMG]

Obviously none of these are at a competing price range with Brice.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. bostjan

What about Headless Fretless multiscale? ...with an extension on the lowest string, so that it being headless is kind of pointless as well. Haha...oh, I really need to think up a better joke.

Hollowway and Durero like this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I remember not finding any affordable production or semicustoms. Gngs are not cheap.
    I’m surprised kiesel doesn’t offer it on their bass

A fanned fretless would work. But I can’t imagine anyone sitting down and learning how to play it.

8. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

9. thraxil

thraxil cylon

That 4-string has some serious stabbing potential.

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Holy crap, does that fan look ridiculous on the Rondo 4! Although, I suppose I'm looking at it from a guitar player's perspective, where there's obviously chording involved, and while still a part of bass, chords aren't nearly as vital/common...but the angle of that nut looks crazy uncomfortable for maybe anything but the rarest of low-down notes.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

12. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Ugh, rondo's headlesses are a shame. One of the biggest things about headless is the A S E T H E T I C S of a sleek, tiny instrument. The huge cut out and that razor edge not-headstock makes me wonder why anyone would buy one.

13. bostjan

The shamiest part, for me, is that they're 80% onto a good idea, then the 20% that just doesn't seem to parse for me is bad enough to maybe spoile the pot.

I'm thinking a 37" headless bass that accepts "normal" bass strings and where the headpiece isn't a mile away from the nut would be cool, because the limitations of string length would be minimized, and it'd be easier to find a case to fit it. Those are pretty "boring" and "practical" reasons, but really, 9 out of 10 times, it's the boring and practical stuff that sells me on an instrument. Stuff like blinking LED fret markers are cool, but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking about whether it uses a 9V battery or some stupid coin cell that I have to special order, and where the battery compartment is, because I've seen stuff like that where the battery is in the heel of the neck, and you have to take the entire guitar apart to swap batteries.

So, anyway, the Brice. Still, it's a $500-600 headless multiscale bass with an impressive top, and that's great. I just really hope the access to the tuners is easier than it looks from the photos. Still, Rondo is like the goose that laid the golden egg...it's just that it laid a couple of golden eggs and quite a few regular goose eggs. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  14. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

The same issue is present on their headless Hawkers (still waiting for them to get some with 24 frets). I sure this isn't the case, but I wonder if there is a design patent of having the string end at the nut, similar to how companies trademark their headstocks. We'll have to wait and see.

While they may not nail the idea the first time, Kurt and Co. definitely refine their ideas and make it work and the stuff they have put out always seem to match my ridiculous choice of specs. I wouldn't be too surprised when they come out with their fanned 6 and 7 string Brices as well as expanding the scale length (hopefully 40").

bostjan likes this.
  15. bostjan

A multiscale bass ~36-40" scale headless for $<800 would be a must-have addition to my family, personally.

lewis, PBC, Masoo2 and 2 others like this.
  16. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

I can be done. I don't know if Kurt has a deal with La Bella but it seems like ever single instrument has their strings for stock. Unfortunately, La Bella doesn't offer custom bass strings which is unfortunate because then it might be possible to go even longer. O4P can apparently go to 47" which would sound incredible but, after an email I had back and forth, they won't guarantee strings for instruments before it's built; therefore if you make a bass at that length then there's no certainty you can even get strings for it.

I ordered a Kalium Long bass string to test and found that the longest scale length possible for that string is 40.25" about .75" longer than their Quake, although probably for safety 40" be better. If the stars align with Skip and Kurt getting something going, a headless 40" fanned would be a thing of beauty.

bostjan likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

blimey yeah. Would save for that in a heartbeat. I need my first recording bass to be super long scale to give me the twang I need. Ala Dingwall.

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I've got my Quake 37-40" coming in the next few weeks, so I, for one, would NOT like to see a low priced Brice in that scale. :lol: But, the longer the better!

bostjan likes this.
  19. bostjan

They'll have to make it 37.5-40.5" then. :)

20. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Individual string clamps are good for affordability, you don't need to manufacture a new headpiece for differing numbers of strings and you have flexibility of string spacing.
    Having a large distance between the nut and lower clamps (as here) is a very good idea as that means more chance of the string having tapered before it reaches the clamp, this helps with clamping Bs or lower strings and makes the clamps more compact and cheaper to make.
    It can be tricky choosing a string length such that the nut-end taper ends between nut and tuner post / clamp, the choices of winding length tend to rise in 2" steps and basses tend to have a 2" distance between nut and tuner posts, so at least 2" between nut and clamp is ideal and will still keep bass length manageable.