RIP John McCain

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Bentaycanada, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Senator John McCain just passed away, aged 81. I would like to say his passing is a great loss to the American people and he served his country with dignity and honour.

If you have an interest, the HBO documentary ‘John McCain: For Whom The Bell Tolls’ is s great watch and well worth the time.

Obituary: John McCain http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40705362

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I loved that guy. I'm more left leaning that he was, but I respected his viewpoint, and always wanted to listen to his reasons and beliefs, because unlike many politicians today, I felt like he was honest with himself and us, and had a conviction that his politics really would have moved the country forward. Irrespective of political ideology, sometimes I wish someone like McCain, or Rand Paul, or Bernie Sanders, or any of the guys who truly seem to believe in what they espouse, could just run the country the way they want for a few years, just to see if it would work.
    Anyway, he was a man of integrity and honesty, and he'll be sorely missed. RIP

3. Bentaycanada

That’s pretty much how I felt. We didn’t always see eye to eye and largely came from different perspectives, but I always respected him.

He was a strong presence in Washington, and was a voice for bi-partisan leadership. Sadly in his last few years he was largely drowned out by spineless band wagon jumpers in his own party, who preferred to shout extremism than actually achieve anything. People like McCain are sadly few and far between right now, and the country needed him more than ever.

Hopefully we will see a new generation of republicans come through in the next 4-6 years that believe in the same principles he did.

4. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

I disagreed with McCain on a lot of things politically, but instances like these made me respect him. He didn't vote out of partisanship or expediency, and I recommend you read about his time in Vietnam as it takes a very strong spirit to endure what he did.

neurosis, Bentaycanada and zappatton2 like this.
  5. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

A much wiser and more humble man than most voters cared to believe.

RIP Capt. McCain.

6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Very sad to see McCain gone. RIP :(

7. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Not the best high-fiver, but he was great in this:

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I had a great deal of respect for him. In the aftermath of 9/11, he was one of very few voices of reason in Washington.

RIP

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...not to mention the fact that after returning from Vietnam, he became a champion of improving relations between the two countries - not afraid to speak out against humanitarian issues, but also pushing to improve relations to open and liberalize the country, and became a well-respected figure there, for a man who bombed the country.

There's quite a lot that I disagree with on McCain, but McCain was one of a dying breed in the GOP, a guy who you could disagree with but still have respect for. A baseball analogy feels cheap here, but he was a Derek Jeter to Trump's A-Rod.

JSanta likes this.
  10. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

He was a Statesman in the truest sense. I didn't always agree with him, but I respected him. We need more of that on both sides of the aisle right now.

zappatton2 and tedtan like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

In other news, the flags are at full mast at the White House, and half mast at the Washington Monument behind it. Our petty leader, folks.

12. auxioluck

My wife just told me about this; apparently Trump is ordering that no flags shall be flown at half mast for McCain?

If true, that's really, REALLY fucked up. Politicizing death belongs in the cesspool of social media, not real life.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I can't confirm Trump ordered it, but I can confirm that the White House flag is currently at full mast while the Washington Monument flags are at half. It's gotten some media attention, but while they didn't specifically point it out in their narration, while waiting for that odd press conference/conference call about the Mexican trade deal to begin, CNBC ran a video shot of the White House with the Washington Monument grounds clearly visible behind it - no commentary, but a clear editorial choice to subtly point it out.

14. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Trump backtracked and just issued a statement ordering the flag to be flown at half mast until McCain is buried. Good.

zappatton2 likes this.
  16. auxioluck

Imagine being the kind of person that makes someone else's death be all about yourself.

17. Bentaycanada

I really hope that his passing gives the Republican Party reason for self reflection, but sadly I highly doubt it.
    The world needs more leaders like John McCain.

18. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

That’s called a funeral.

Edika and possumkiller like this.
  19. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

Screenshot_2018-08-28-08-45-59-689_com.facebook.orca.png
    That's what my dad and former McCain supporter had to say about it

20. narad

narad SS.org Regular

“My fellow Americans, whom I have gratefully served for sixty years, and especially my fellow Arizonans,

Thank you for the privilege of serving you and for the rewarding life that service in uniform and in public office has allowed me to lead. I have tried to serve our country honorably. I have made mistakes, but I hope my love for America will be weighed favorably against them.

‘Fellow Americans’ — that association has meant more to me than any other. I lived and died a proud American. We are citizens of the world’s greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil. We are blessed and are a blessing to humanity when we uphold and advance those ideals at home and in the world. We have helped liberate more people from tyranny and poverty than ever before in history. We have acquired great wealth and power in the process.

We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries that have sown resentment and hatred and violence in all the corners of the globe. We weaken it when we hide behind walls, rather than tear them down, when we doubt the power of our ideals, rather than trust them to be the great force for change they have always been.

We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

Ten years ago, I had the privilege to concede defeat in the election for president. I want to end my farewell to you with the heartfelt faith in Americans that I felt so powerfully that evening.

I feel it powerfully still.

Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

Farewell, fellow Americans. God bless you, and God bless America.”