RIP Garry Shandling

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by zappatton2, Mar 25, 2016.

1. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Years ago, I was visiting with my cousin and he was raving about this sitcom called the Larry Sander's Show. I watched an episode, and I really didn't know what to think. The style of comedy was unlike anything else I had ever seen, and I really didn't quite get the deadpan or subtle humour, not to mention the weirdness of seeing actors play themselves, not always in a positive light either.

As I got older, I revisited the series, and it quickly became one of my favourite comedies of all time. Not only that, but the style of the show is now so imitated and common, it's weird to think that at one time, it was such a strange, left-field concept. Garry Shandling truly was a comic innovator, he should be a household name IMO. He will certainly be missed :(
    Garry Shandling, actor and comedian, dead at 66 - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

2. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

This is one of those celebrity deaths that came out of left field for sure. He wasn't widely popular, but comedy fans sure lost a great one! I enjoyed his 80s Showtime sitcom.

3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I remember seeing Shandling on Carson around the same time that I was noticing other comedians like Billy Crystal, Steven Wright, Jerry Seinfeld, etc. I think that his comedic genius was sort of overlooked by many... as that was at a time where stand-ups were everywhere. I always thought he was very likable, soft-spoken, and an all around "every-man" so to speak. Seemed very approachable and easy-going. Rest In Peace, Mr. Shandling.

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

66... too young. My dad is 66... man. Scary.

Hail Hydra !!!!

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The full Larry Sanders Show on DVD is only 20 bucks on Amazon, I just bought it yesterday after all the comments about it. I'm looking forward to see what it's like. It might be on Netflix or something too, but I rarely can make myself watch anything if I didn't spend money for it :D

6. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

This was a bit unexpected! A friend and I were just watching some of the great clips from his show! It was so good! RIP Mr. Shandling and much respect!

7. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Just saw this today and was surprised and saddened as well. When I was young I always loved It's Garry Shandling's Show and remember always being tuned in for each new episode. He was one heck of an eyesore to look at, and my mother would always complain about his appearance LOL, but good god was he a comedic genius. I feel more sad though that the younger generation before me was mostly unaware of this comedic genius.

Rev.

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Holy crap! The man wasn't that old! That's scary. He seemed cool. RIP.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Here's the best thing I've seen on him yet. That old Emmy bit towards the end is pretty great, too.

10. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Wow. Sad. He really was a good one. :(

An innovative and eccentric humorist with pillowy lips and a voice that always seemed on the verge of a whine, Shandling claimed to disdain too much logic cluttering his life.

"The answer isn't gonna be in the facts," he told The Associated Press in 2009. "It's gonna be in intuition. That's how I work creatively. I'm always teaching people that the answer to that creative question is right here, in the room, between us here."

More to the point, it was dealing with the questions he confronted in himself.

This excerpt sums up what made him so good.