Ringing sound on my guitar bridge??

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by JustinRhoads1980, Sep 14, 2018.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

My jackson mick thomson guitar has a floyd rose type bridge that isn't like the regular floyd rose. It is essentially a hardtail floyd rose mounted to the body with no cavity.

I have started to notice a ringing that I believe is coming from the bridge. It happens both plugged and unplugged. I am kind of scratching my head as to what is causing it! It rings really bad, like ear rape bad.

2. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

A lot of people place foam rubber under the strings on their headstocks for muting of chimey ringing after the nut. I think you could maybe do the same with that bridge.

3. ChAoZ

ChAoZ Build Addict

I agree with the above but suggest that it is ringing behind the nut - reverse headstocks are notorious for it

4. JustinRhoads1980

would a jimmy clip work for something like that? I know I will definitely have to get foam for underneath the bridge since it is just real bad ringing through the amp. Super fucking annoying.

I really dont want to put foam on the headstock area since I feel it kind of deteriorates the look of the guitar. If I could get like a little band or something that would work

5. IGC

Looks like jimmy clip is the right idea.

Is there a locking nut on that guitar?

Please watch this very informative video from the beginning.
    At exactly 44 seconds is a simple version of the concept, and I
    Think they have similar bridge type to yours.

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

The bridge can ring too because it's mounted on pole pieces, I had this problem with Ibanez RGA121. Also check every nut and bolt in that guitar.

7. JustinRhoads1980

It rings AT the bridge. Nothing is loose on it so I am assuming that the bridge is just overly resonant. Gonna get some foam today, shove it under and if that doesnt work I will get a jimmy clip. If that doesn't work then it is getting looked at by a luthier.

Yes. The ringing though acoustically is coming from the bridge. I hope that is the culprit and that shoving some foam underneath will help

8. IGC

Yeah, or maybe a new bridge? Too late for return? Warranty?

I'm guessing there is no way to fit some foam under the strings at the dridge in a similar way to what people are doing to their headstocks?

9. JustinRhoads1980

nah man it is a floyd rose bridge. Except it is a hardtail. No cutout for a trem arm. No cavity in the back. It is recessed into the body and is mounted to the body. There is room to put some foam underneath the bridge

10. IGC

Guess maybe the mounting pole pieces could be a little loose causing vibrations. All those tiny bolts too...
    Poorly fitting string grooves witch you can add thin bits of tape to silence

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  11. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

The bridge is the MTB HT6 according to the Jackson website (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear...signature-mick-thomson-soloist-sl2/2914224576), maybe check online for tips from other users of the particular model? I remember that he had a similar one on his Ibanez models (a different one made by Ibanez of course), they seem to have tried to copy it.