Right hand triplet technique (need more speed!!!)

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by BEADGBE, May 21, 2012.

1. BEADGBE

BEADGBE SS.org Regular

hey been playing for a few years now and have really been pushing my right hand technique. im just wondering if anyone has and lessons tips or techniques to hellp get triplets up to insane speed. just to clarify im speaking about rythmic triplets not three single notes picked.
    thanks

Gothic Headhunter likes this.
  2. ChronicConsumer

ChronicConsumer SS.org Regular

I don't think you're talking about triplets, I think you're talking about (Slayer-esque) bursts of three 16th notes followed by a 16th rest. A triplet would be three notes equally dividing the space it would take to fill two of those notes. In other words, an 8th note triplet would be three notes that take as much time as two 8ths. Most people count this as 'One-trip-let Two-trip-let Three-trip-let' etc.

You probably want to take a look at some thrash metal, I'd recommend Kreator and Slayer for your right hand. Or you could be a total badass and learn 'Bleed' (or anything else) by Meshuggah.

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ Yeah everyone calls these triplets haha. It's a gallop :)
    I don't have any advice except make sure your arm is relaxed and you are picking using flicks from the wrist.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

For me the best way I increased my speed was:
    1) Close my hand in a fist, rather than leave my fingers splayed out. This forces me to NOT use my fingers to move the pick (circular picking) and helps me focus on my wrist.
    2) Relax to allow the wrist to move, instead of the elbow.
    3) Anchor on the arm rest to further discourage elbow movement.
    4) Practice gallops like mad.

Also, I assume too that you are doing eighth, rest, eighth, eighth when you refer to triplets.

5. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

As a big fan of Iced Earth and gallop riffs I'd recommend you to practice fast downstroke rhythm (what Metallica does all the time) like down-down-down -down -down -down -down -down x100

once you get it going your hand will automatically start "galloping" when it's trying to move up to do another downstroke. For me it starts like an accident; You'll get down-down-UP-down-down-UP-down-down-down-UP-down. It goes from there really! I think galloping is based mostly on a controlled and precise downstroke rhythm because you need to keep up the time with them. the downUPdown will be as precise as your downstroke-only Metallica-esque picking.

6. BEADGBE

BEADGBE SS.org Regular

thanks for all the tips im going to give the downstrokes a try never saw it from that angle all has been very helpful thanks guys ill make sure to u0pdate!!!

7. Grimbold

Grimbold SS.org Regular

vinchester is on point

8. JazzandMetal

JazzandMetal SS.org Regular

I focus on keeping my hand in a fist. Also, I am able to build up speed in galloping by practicing downstrokes and then adding upstrokes in the middle, like Vinchester mentioned.

This video really helped:

He is palm muting. His other lessons are amazing as well.

9. K3V1N SHR3DZ

K3V1N SHR3DZ EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

This :yesway:

I'm struggling with not using circular picking on fast string-changing scalar runs. With rhythms and sweeps I don't have problems, but I find it so much easier (up to a certain point) to cheat and use circle picking on scales. But it's become a major hurdle.
    :shred: *paul_gilbert_exercise x 10000000* :(

I went this route, and had to actually practice playing everything with only upstrokes, as my ups were weak as shit. After that, I just did TONS of alt. picking for months, then mixed downs and alts. Gallops became retarded easy....
    But, you are right in that one must start with tons of down picking especially if one wishes to get a really sick sound.

10. JazzandMetal

I went this route, and had to actually practice playing everything with only upstrokes, as my ups were weak as shit. After that, I just did TONS of alt. picking for months, then mixed downs and alts. Gallops became retarded easy....
    But, you are right in that one must start with tons of down picking especially if one wishes to get a really sick sound.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I practice upstrokes as well. I saw a video of Dave Mustaine saying that you should practice upstrokes.

11. conjurer_of_riffs

conjurer_of_riffs SS.org Regular

Thanks for the Video JazzandMetal

12. BEADGBE

BEADGBE SS.org Regular

when you mention paul gilbert exercises are you talking about the popular alt picking one? or is there a different one m not aware of?

13. JazzandMetal

No problem. Just keep working with the metronome.

I am currently using the small red Dunlop Jazz III picks. I believe John Petrucci uses them. They kind of slide over the strings, and because they are small, you hardly have to move your hand to pick. I keep my hand in a fist and choke up on the pick, and this technique is great for fast picking and galloping. Many great players recommend choking up on the pick, Dave Mustaine being one of them. There is also a great video on youtube about picking, I use the technique pretty much the same way except I probably angle the pick a little less than 45 degrees. The guy is also using a black Jazz III. Here it is:

So get a good pick that works for you, and get to work! Learning Metallica, Iron Maiden and a bunch of other old metal bands helps with your picking and galloping as well as showing you every note in E Minor.

I am going to try the Sik Piks at some point. Fredtheshred loves them, and they look really fast.

14. K3V1N SHR3DZ

K3V1N SHR3DZ EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

I mean the one like this.

[​IMG]

15. five_magics

five_magics SS.org Regular

I'm working on this lick too. It's very tricky as it involves inside and outside picking with successive string changes...
    I've been going crazy with this alt picking stuff for years, my best advice is work on chords, cadences, reading music like jazz standards, just playing music, and the speed thing will do itself. Focusing only on alt picking exercices is setting yourself up for failure, but that's just my experience.

16. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I honestly don't think picks make that huge a difference, all personal preference. I can play about as fast as I can with a jazz as I can with a regular thinish pick :shrug:

17. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I personally agree with this. For me it is pretty much the same thing: been working on alternate picking like a maniac for years, but still getting nowhere close the 'shredding-speed'. So, it can become very frustrating depending on my expectations.
    I still practice alt. picking exercises quite a bit, but I'm not perse thinking of gaining speed but control and clean playing, I just practice the exercises at a moderate speed and only push the tempo a little bit.

18. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

2 hours of picking and a gallon of coffee will cure this