Rico Jr Vixen Custom Shop 7

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by zimbloth, Nov 16, 2006.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I've spent a few weeks with this guitar, so I feel the time is right for a review. I'm going to try not to be sensationalistic and just tell it like it is here :)

Features:

Model: Vixen 7
    Construction: Neck-Thru
    Finish: Blood Red
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Inlays: None
    Frets: 24
    Scale: 25.5
    Nut: Bone
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan SH-8b "Invader"
    Controls: 1 volume, 0 Tone
    Strings: 10-13-17-26-36-46-60
    Tuning: ADGCFAD
    Case: Custom form fit

Obviously this is perfect because it's exactly what I wanted. I have enough guitars made of mahogany, I wanted something resonant and bright to help the Invaders mean growly tone shine. Results exactly as I hoped. The thing only I would have done differently if given the chance, is I would have opted for black bevels on the body and headstock. But it's fine.

Playabilty/Setup:

In short, plays flawlessly. The neck is a bit beefier than an Ibanez UV neck. It's not quite as girthy as Jackson or Schecter. I'd say its actually more like what the RG1527 necks are like. Still thin and comfortable but rounder.

The guitar was setup perfectly: action, intonation and tension just right. This thing shreds for days. No dead spots. Notes ring out clear and sing forever (more on this later). No flaws anywhere on the guitar.

I owned a few USA BC Rich 7s that Bernie Rico Sr made in the late 90s - a Mockingbird all maple number, an alder Wave 7, and a Beast 7. This guitar plays and feels exponentially better than any of those. Bernie Jr. gets it.

Sound:

Obviously this is the subjective part, but given how many guitars and rigs I've played through, I can definitely paint a clear picture here.

Simply put, the Vixen sounds monsterous. The Duncan Invader pickup is underappreciated and often misused (like put in mahogany or basswood guitars). What you get is a super growly middy tone, with a good amount of bass and a unique treble character. With the brightness of the ebony/alder/maple, this makes a super combination. Articulate attack, crunchy lows, monsterous chords with great note definition, and a really cool lead tone are all prevalent here. Especially with the Tube Screamer in the fold for that extra tightness.

The tone is really unique. Single notes just roar through with authority, lead playing is fat yet searing in that good way. Trem picking on the low A & D strings is a sound to behold - brutal yet musical is the best way to put it. This pickup is perfect for this guitar.

One thing I'd also like to point out which really shocked me, is that when you play a note, anywhere on the fretboard, it just sings and sings, and doesnt fade out for a long time....eventually after 10 seconds or so it starts to turn into that harmonic feedback, and that literally never dies out. I have a Fernandes with a legit sustainer system, and literally this guitar acts as if it has the same thing. Notes sing out seeming forever before turning into harmonic feedback which doesnt die out EVER until you make it stop. I'm guessing its a combination of the materials used, the construction method, and other stuff... but I've owned a LOT of high end and/or custom guitars and I've never experienced a guitar with this kind of natural musical sustain.

Overall:

I'll cut to the chase. This is the best guitar I've ever played. It's just something you FEEL that you cant put your finger on. Through all the Riches, Ibanez, Jacksons, Dean, ESP, Schecter, Washburn, Gibson, Parker and whatever else I've owned over the years....this stands ahead of them all in just overall feel and 'interactiveness'. Parker Flys were close, but we're talking 7s here :) It's a cliche but I feel like I finally have found a guitar thats perfect. I still think my old Ibanez Universe from 1991 was the best playing guitar (albeit not the best neck joint) I've ever played, but the total package is what counts, and I deem this Rico Jr TRUE.

Worth every penny. 5 out of 5 Cousin Larrys.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Photo Gallery

2. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

That guitar looks sweet and sounds amazing from your description. Glad to hear you're so pleased with it. I'd like to try it out myself...

3. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Exactly what you want in a custom guitar, the best guitar you've ever played. :metal:

4. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Hear, hear. I want a custom now. (But my needs are rather elaborate, whereas Nick's are simple. Gotta have piezo, a trem, 2 pickups, natural finish, probably figured woods, etc.)

Sounds great, Nick!

5. noodles

noodles Contributor

I really like that red. Very :metal:

6. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Yeah, it was either that or white like yours. Opted to go for the Red because it indeed does look really sweet :agreed:

7. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Good looking guitar. I'd like to try one someday.