RGD neck on an RG/RGA body - would it work?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by s4tch, Oct 26, 2011.

1. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

OK, so I'd like to have something like a fixed bridge baritone Ibby, like the RGD321. That's not on sale in Europe, and the Hungarian Forint is pretty weak nowadays, so I'd avoid an import. But still, I'd like to have a baritone hardtail Ibby. I thought I'd have an RGD321 neck (and only a neck) from ebay, and fit it onto any cheap AANJ body, like an RGA32 or an RG321. According to Ibanez's site, neck dimensions are the same, except lenght, of course. I think it may work, but I should move the bridge anyway, and pickup placement would not be ideal. Any comments on this? Is it a worthless idea? Is this the time to think about building my first guitar body?

2. guitarister7321

guitarister7321 Ibanez

No. Intonation would be all out of wack if you put a 26.5" RGD neck on a body made for a 25.5" neck. And, I think the width of the RGD neck at the heel is 58mm, so it wouldn't fit in the 56mm wide RG321 body's neck pocket.

3. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

The pickup placement is already jacked on the rgd321, If you don't mind sanding the neck/neck pocket and you want to move the bridge back, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pick up a used RGXL, it'll probably be cheaper in the end then taking to incompatible, low end Ibanez parts and slapping them together, not to mention you'd have a better guitar in the end. Look for RG1077XLs, RG2077XLs, and RG7421XLs.

5. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll probably skip this idea.

Max, an XL would be an obvious choice, if I were about to get a 7, I'd wait for a 7421XL. (It's on my ebay saved search list, no results in like 6 months....) But if you want a 6-string Ibby with an extended scale, AFAIK RGD is the way to go.

6. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

If you use a RG321 body, then it will be really easy, just move the bridge back, re-drill the string holes (fill in the old ones) pickup placement would be weird, but that can be filled and re-routed also.

But... if you have no experience with a mod of that level, skip the idea for now until you have some experience...