RG7xx1 neck with ebony board.

Discussion in 'Gear For Sale / Trade/ Wanted' started by Elysian, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elysian

Elysian Banned

crap the new "Sale type:" thing screwed up the huge post i had...

so anyways... basically, i read the wrong information and routed my RG7421 for a emg 5 string bass housing instead of a 4 string bass... so unless i want to make huge pickup rings, the guitar is pretty much worthless to me... so i've got an RG7621 neck(off my 7421, but stamped 7621), 3 piece neck(maple/bubinga/maple), that i replaced the fingerboard with ebony. its got dunlop 6100 fretwire, its leveled, crowned, and polished, and its a blank board with the exception of the 12th fret, which has an off center MOP double dot inlay like my 7 string V has. it has silver side dots. currently it has a blue headstock, but i'm probably going to be painting it black(though i'll leave it up to the person who buys it). it has a special insert system instead of traditional wood screws to hold it to the body. the way it works is with allen headed bolts, no need for ferules, just bolt the allen bolts in, and torque it down pretty good. this also eliminates some of the issues commonly associated with bolt ons, like the screws stripping out, and it also allows for better neck to body contact, which can potentially improve tone and sustain. it also has a set of gotoh tuners, although i'm not sure if i have the 7 screws to hold them in their places. it'll have a bone nut. i have the origional truss rod cover, though yours might be in better shape, and i have the string retainer as well. this neck will have an oil finish after today. i'm asking 300+shipping for this. with the inserts, you would have to drill out larger holes in your neck pocket, and you can do this yourself if you'd like, but personally, i'd rather have the body shipped to me so i can do it, and then ship it back to you(and the 300 will include me redrilling the holes and doing a full setup).

2. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

Got any pictures dude?
    Could the holes be filled and put back how they were or is the modification non-reversible ?
    I haven't owned a non-locking nut RG7 so i'm wondering if it'd be possible to remove the nut and fit a locking one (i mean is there enough of a 'flat bit' under the nut to accept one?)

Thanks!

3. Elysian

Elysian Banned

you wouldn't want to fill the holes, they aren't really that small, and itd be far weaker than having the studs. i forgot to mention i'll post pics tonight. it would be possible to route it for a locking nut, because of the laminant i put on it, but i don't know that i'd have the ability to do it any time soon(at least until i buy a router next month)... honestly the stud inserts and allen bolts is an excellent way to go, and they look better imo than ferules and fit in the stock countersinking ibanez did, the only thing that doesn't fit is the shaft through the hole itself. if you sent the body to me, i could make sure the side to side and pitch was all correct, as well as set it up for you.

4. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

Yeah,the allen-bolt thing sounds fine. I just though you were saying it would require fucking with the holes on the body a lot (but i misunderstood).

I'm in the UK though so it would be majorly expensive to send you a body and then to ship a whole guitar to ship back to me(as well as having to pay Tax and shit on a whole guitar!).
    I've shipped a neck from the U.S. before and it didn't cost much at all (about $25 if i remeber correctly?).

I'll keep an eye out for those pics later anyway.
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the U.S. wants to grab it first.

5. Elysian

Elysian Banned

[​IMG]
    you can at least see it is in fact an ebony board here...

6. nyck

nyck blah!

Have you thought about trying an EMG 40DC?

7. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i can't afford to sink more money into this guitar, i need to focus on getting the tooling needed. and i'd much rather have the neck go to someone who will appreciate it.

8. Elysian

Elysian Banned

of course, if someone were interested in the whole project, i could sand the body to 1000 and buff it, and let it go for 400... but i'm sure some would say thats a lot to ask for a RG7421 with no electronics, irregardless of the amount of work thats gone into the guitar...

9. nyck

nyck blah!

I guess it all depends on what someone's looking for. The neck looks great though, I'm sure someone wants it.

10. Elysian

Elysian Banned

here come pics... lots of them... when i oiled the neck today, some of the oil made its way onto the fingerboard around the 12th fret, i'm gonna steel wool that off tomorrow, so no worries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry about the blurry ones

11. tehk

tehk Yes..

Yea, when I first saw those pics, I was thinking why the EMG routing was so huge. Then I looked around to check mine and I didn't think much after that.

Hey Elysian, is it possible to turn that 7 string body into an 8 stringer? Since you already have the pickups routed :D

12. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

You'll probably have better luck if you sand off that blue finish. A lot of people don't have the access to the tools you do, and it'd be a lot easier for you to de-blue it than the rest of us.

If I had an RG, I'd be all over this. :lol:

13. Elysian

Elysian Banned

like i said, i'm gonna be painting it black, or whatever the customer wants, this is 300 bucks for the whole shabang, i'll even install it if you ship your guitar for me.

btw anyone know where i can buy an ibanez decal? i tried ebay not long ago and found nothing...

not worth the hassle, i'd rather build one myself...

14. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

Hey Elysian.
    Is it me or does that ebony look a bit messy and rough(particularly where the light is hitting it around the fourth/fifth fret)?
    Normally with an ebony board it's really flat and smooth looking.

I think the best bet with the headstock would be (as Chris says) to get it nice and flat/smooth as possible and flat-black and then just leave the logo and clearcoat to the buyer so they can finish it in with their desired colour (if they wanted to match it to the body colour)and logo.

I may still be interested but i do have concerns about the way it looks at the moment.

15. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Neck looks fantastic, nice work, Elysian. I have seen the decals on Ebay, I acquired a couple in the past year or so...weird that you couldn't find any, maybe they aren't anymore I guess. Nice neck though. I hope someone here acquires it. :yesway:

16. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Try here

17. Elysian

Elysian Banned

it just needs to be steel wooled. i'll do that today and post more pictures tonight...

i looked again last night and theres one on there that has a pretty nice price...

18. Elysian

Elysian Banned

ok i got pics, brought my camera and usb cable to school, steel wool cleaned it right up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. tehk

tehk Yes..

Arg, I swear if only I had money! I would so want a white RG7 with a mirror pickguard (for the extra large routing :D).

20. Elysian

Elysian Banned

here we go, headstock is a blank slate now.

[​IMG]

i acetoned the lacquer and urethane off it today, so you can do as you want with it, or i can do it for you, all the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.