RG7321 pickups replacement options

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by dmchannelitaly, May 16, 2018.

1. dmchannelitaly

dmchannelitaly Music Composer

Hi 7 string users,

definitely I'm not into the sound of the stock pu's of my Ibanez RG 7321, would you recommend an upgrade, or should I look for newer options, like the iron label series?

2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

What is your budget? What kind of music is it for? What kind of sound are you looking for? What tunning is it for?

Honestly, the IR is not much better than the 7321, unless you can afford it, keep yours. Put some money on it (PUs, tuners) and you're good for years.

dmchannelitaly likes this.
  3. TommyG

TommyG Tommy G

Funny Story...
    I had an RG7321 and I replaced the pickups a couple times and landed with the Dimarzio PAF7's. They did many styles very well and you can find them used easily.
    I wanted to get something with a better neck and lower action, so I upgraded to an Iron Label 7. The iron label is definitely an upgrade as the neck was better and it stayed in tune better.
    I finally took the plunge and bought a Prestige 7 string and its definitely a way better guitar. The neck is awesome and it plays great.
    Prestige guitars are on a different level all together. You have to feel it to really appreciate it.
    If I had to do it all again, I would look at a used Prestige guitar which you can find for good prices.
    I just bought a used RG3570 for $700 with an extra set of Dimarizio pickups.
    Best of Luck...

Strobe and dmchannelitaly like this.
  4. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

The RG7321 is a solid instrument for the price. Imho is worth investing in some decent pickups and tuners instead of going for an Iron Label.
    What's your budget and what kind of music do you play?

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The RG7321 is a great guitar, once you replace the pickups, electronics, nut, and potentially the rest of the hardware. Just about any aftermarket pickups are better than stock.

If you are using a digital amp, PAFs work great, but I'm a tube amp user and I've had poor luck with that style of pickup. My luck has been with very aggressive pickups, like the Dimarzio Evo-7, X2N-7, Blaze Custom, Air Norton-7; Bareknuckle Nailbombs; Qtuner; and Elysian Modern Hot TAPs. A lot of people are also going for Dimarzio Illuminators and Fishman Fluence pickups. Those pickups all really push the front end of a tube amp, but hot pickups like that can overwhelm some digital amps' input stage. Of course, it all depends on what style of music you play, too. You don't see too many guys playing Muzak with a pair of X2Ns.

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have a Dimarzio Crunch Lab / Liquifier in mine.

Coryd and dmchannelitaly like this.
  7. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Honestly anything that fits your style and is not too shrill in the high end. I've had SD Invader and BKP Cold Sweat at bridge of RG7321 and both slayed. Mostly Iron Labels aren't significantly better instruments than good old 7321's, but it's also a matter of taste about looks, woods and pickups. Iron Labels have better hardware in my opinion.

8. dmchannelitaly

Thanks guys for all the replies. Well I do mostly play metal, but believe me or not, the RG7321 is getting abused for all the studio projects for other clients (non metal stuff), because that's the only guitar tuned to E-standard I have. I got used to use or ignore the 7th string, and I mostly use a tube amp, but for weird sounds I use amplitube or a zoom g3. What I find in stock pu's is the lack of clarity. I own 2 mahogany guitars, and I know which pu's works the best for that wood, but the 7321 is made of basswood, and I have no experience whatsoever with basswood guitars.
    What I'm looking for would be medium-output pu's, versitale, low noise.

9. TommyG

TommyG Tommy G

Interesting.... I used to use a POD, now I'm using Overloud TH3... That's why I like the PAF7's so much...!
    Maybe the lower output is the ticket.

10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

My vote goes to find some DiMarzios. Maybe check their website to check out the different 7-string options, plenty of flavors and most of them are pretty versatile.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, in the USA, Dimarzios and Seymour Duncan would give you the best value. I personally prefer Dimarzios of the two. But, I also really quite like my Elysians, and there are a few other alternatives as well. I guess it still depends on your budget.

Either the Blaze or Imperium sets should work as a versatile metal-oriented pickup in medium output. The PAFs might suit you just as well, but I find the output to be rather low, and not really "medium," but there's no hard line between those categories. Or you could contact Adam with Elysian (@ElysianGuitars ) through here and see if he can make something to best suit your needs. (I'd personally recommend going for a custom pickup, since so many people are using exactly the same thing these days, it'd be an asset to be able to stand out.)

12. ManOnTheEdge

ManOnTheEdge SS.org Regular

Huge fan of the BKP AlNiCo Nailbombs in my RG7321, they cover a huge range of tones

13. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Guess I'm going to be the odd one out here...

I would suggest looking at some Iron Label guitars to see if they feel better and sound better to you. I wouldn't completely discount them.

14. dmchannelitaly

Thanks guys for your contribution. PAF's are pretty popular, maybe I'll find someone nearby who has installed them, I also didn't mention that I use split-coil pretty heavily, maybe I'll keep an eye on the "iron label" series (without EMG's of course) unless I find something like an "hipshot" replacement bridge that will keep me loyal to the 7321 hehe.

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Mine had that big thick Gibraltar bridge that dug into your hand, so I bought one of the newer lower profile Gibraltar bridges from Ibanez for my RG7321. I have the Crunch Lab and Liqufier, and I also sanded the neck down to be rounder, finished with oil, and a fret level. It is a smooth playing guitar now!

16. dmchannelitaly

Do you remember the model? My 7321 is from '03, with the classic string-through-body-cr*pping-bridge

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I just bought an Ibanez Gibraltar Standard II 7 in Black. It was a direct swap since mine had the original Gibraltar Standard that was the same, but had taller sides that dug into your hand.

Not my pics, but I had one like this:

[​IMG]

And replaced it with one like this:

[​IMG]

18. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I currently have a D Activator/Liquifire combo in my white 7421 and love it. I've also tried a Titan in another guitar I sold. Sweetwater sent me a neck pickup by accident and I actually preferred it to the hot D Activator bridge because it covered the full frequency and was tight as hell. But the lower output made it far more controllable.

19. dmchannelitaly

20. dmchannelitaly

Nice! I've got the D-Activator in my 6-string guitar (mahogany body), super hot and definetly not the warmest sounding pickup. Well, thanks for suggesting the "Titan", I've heard lots of positive feedback about it!