rewiring humbuckers to be permanently "Coil Split"

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Feb 11, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Whilst I wait for a long pickup order, I want to try and wire my stock Humbucker pickups to have "coil split" permanently. I.e make them single coil ON at all times with just the normal toggle switch.
    but Is it possible without changing anything?.

If a picture of the current stock wiring is helpful I will do that.

Im hoping I can just do a minimal change and have them split

cheers

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Let's start with the usual question: What guitar, what PUs, is it a 3 way, 5 way, 3 way toggle, and, for personal information, which pu.

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

guitar is a Harley Benton Fan Fret 6 (see profile pic)
    pickups are the stock Harley Benton's but do have the extra 2 wires poking out so the pickups can be "coil split".
    Switch is a normal 3 way toggle switch.

I just want both my "humbuckers" to be master coil split. I.e always acting as singles on every position.

4. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

how's the guitar? I've never tried one.

I think with 4 conductor pickups the colored wires are never the same. So you'll have to figure out what the color codes, this might be helpful. Your pickups might be like the GFS pickups..

Have you thought of maybe wiring them in parallel instead? It's almost like single coil sound but it's hum free.

http://i.imgur.com/bucLvlA.jpg

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

guitar is great thanks man, especially after the mods Im doing/have done

ah so its not just as simple as grounding off one of the wires where the coils are connected or something? (and ignore the other 2 free conductor cables)?

6. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult, but since I don't know what color code your pickups are, I can't just say well take the red wire or white wire and solder it here and here.. You have to first at least let us know what colored wires are where...

With Dimarzio standard wiring it's usually red to the switch usually, green and bare are ground and black and white soldered together . I assume your guitar is wired in a standard series wiring but the colored wires aren't the same ...

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

Nope. Not that easy. If you have a multimeter you could figure out the hot wire, and go from there. Barring that try emailing thomann about the wiring code. I'd say just switch the pots to push pulls and wire each pickup to a separate push pull. You'd get a ton of versatility(that's how my knightro tele is set up).

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah i was hoping to avoid doing that just because after 3 months, my new single coil pickups will be here and all installed solderlessly anyway.

Didnt want to invest in new pots etc just for a few months of use before new EMG stuff arrived.

Shame, ah well haha

9. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

As I understand you have a gibson style 3 way switch. Does each pickup have 2 extra wires sticking out and they are connected between themselves or there's 1 extra wire for each pickup?

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I will grab a cavity picture tomorrow :)

11. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

If your pickups are four conductor, then the series connection wires are already taped off and set aside in the control cavity. Merely solder those to ground. Every other wire coming out of the pickups are already soldered to a switch or the bottom of a pot, otherwise the pickup wouldn’t be working. If your pickups only have two conductors and a ground, then you can’t split them (without major surgery, anyway).

What’s all this stuff getting posted about multimeters and color codes? You’re soldering literally the only unsoldered wires.

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ive checked and yes they are taped off and set aside in the cavity.
    So all i have to do is solder them to ground and i will get the single tone sound?.
    This will be my first solder job btw.

13. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Indeed. While you’re waiting on the iron to heat, you can test the connection by just taping them to a grounding point (such as the bottom of whichever pot everything’s soldered to). For your first solder job, don’t be surprised if you accidentally unsolder all the ground wires or melt the insulation on something.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Here is the cavity as standard.

[​IMG]

green and white wires series connection /\ ?

which pot do I need to attach them too?.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Do you have two sets of wires taped (shrink-tubed) together? I can only make out the one set of green and white. If you take the shrink-tubing off, you should see where their bare ends are braided and/or soldered together. Just put that to one of the grounding points on either pot; depending on which is easier to reach.

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

just the one set. Green and white.
    ok cool so remove the tubing and attach them to the closest pot. Sounds simple enough.

17. Andrew Lloyd Webber

It’s odd that only one pickup would have a series connection taped off. If so, only the one can be split.

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I will have a proper look but that seems it haha Odd.
    Oh well.

Its only for a few months anyway like I said so.

19. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I believe my old 1527 was similar, the stock pups only had 3 wires coming out of them but were able to be coil splitted with the 5 way switch.
    Pretty sure that configuration was specific to those pups and switch.

When swapping pups I had to change the 5 way as well, as it was not made for 5 wires and I did not want to around trying wiring configurations out until I "understood" the switch hehe

20. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

Nah, there are 2 set of green-white wires, the second set is between wires it's hard to see it but it's there in the first picture :)
    Well, you have 2 options
    1) solder these green-white to ground as Andrew suggested and you will have the coil splits with the inner coils
    2) desolder red ones from switch and solder green-white instead of them and you will have the the coil splits with outer coils

lewis and takotakumi like this.