Rewiring a Mesa 2x12

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by nkri, Jan 8, 2019.

1. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

I have a Mesa 2x12 horizontal rectifier cab which I bought used several years ago. It has a non-standard wiring setup which appears to be custom from the factory based on the jack plate. The previous owner apparently swapped the original 4 ohm speakers for 8 ohm versions—hence the sticker indicating 16 ohms. Obviously, the stereo inputs are actually 8 ohms each, not 4 as the plate says.

The mono jack is wired in series, for a total impedance of 16 ohms. I want to rewire the jack in parallel (for a total impedance of 4 ohms) to take full advantage of my Mark V, while keeping the individual stereo jacks the way they are.

If I understand correctly, it would just be a matter of swapping connections A and B, or C and D (see labeled pic) to run it in parallel. Is this correct? I emailed Mesa about it but they weren't willing to help, and of course I don't want to do something stupid and blow up my transformer :nono:

Attached Files:

2. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

Oops, this image didn't upload to the original post.

Attached Files: