Returning to the sevener club

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dexter.Sinister, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Member

Many years back, I picked up a Fernandez 7 string guitar with a sustainer. Ended up swapping it with Viktor Krauss (bass payer and musical director extraordinaire) for a Jerry Jones electric sitar I needed for an album.

More recently, I have been playing downtuned sixers but have been angling to either pick up a baritone or a seven string for a metal project. Took me about a month to sort through my options and have relied on the good folks of SSO for some of the info (mny tnx).

This one called my secret name and, is en route, and due to drop on my sleepy island on Monday 190114.

[​IMG]

Care to guess what it is?

2. odibrom

odibrom .

Excelente choice, I've got 2 of those, one bought brand new back in 2001/2002 and the other is almost 3 years in my hands. They play flawlessly. If you need any help with wiring mods, ring me a bell.

Dexter.Sinister likes this.
  3. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

What is it?

4. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

DeVries

Just kidding. What is it?

Hollowway and The906 like this.
  5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Ibanez Prestige RG2XX7NatMahBrT

aesthyrian and mlp187 like this.
  6. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

I am a total hack when it comes to this but was going to say same thing. RG something, just don't recognize the third knob or the mini switch...or that black dot thing.

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I made my shit up fam. Lol. Right there with you.

8. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

A used prestige.

The906 and Mathemagician like this.
  9. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

A HUMAN HEAD.

10. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

RG2027XVV

sezna, aesthyrian, mlp187 and 3 others like this.
  11. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

RG2027XVV. The extra switches/button are for the piezo.

12. odibrom

odibrom .

@possumkiller & @BillCosby & @The906 & everyboy else interested in some wiki about these guitars...

Yep, that's correct. The black dot thing is a micro push/push switch that manages the piezo output. These guitars have 2 output jacks, one for piezo only and the other for magnectic pickups and piezos. When up, piezo and mag signals have independent outputs, when down, both signals go out through the same jack.

The 3rd knob acts as a piezo volume only if the guitar is original and the black dot switch is up. This means that the mini switch is ON/ON and selects either mag pickups or piezos. One can do a direct replacement of this mini switch for an ON/ON/ON (one must pay attention to the switch type, there are 2 and if one doesn't work, mirror it's connections), this is called the KJG (KGJ?? it's the name of a fellow guitar player) mod. When correctly done, this mod allows for a mix position of Mags and Piezos for more tonal diversity. When in mix position, the piezo knob acts as a blend knob, starting at 50/50 for both signal sources in one end and 100% for piezos on the other. It works like this either with the dot switch up or down.

When having the mod done and when using the piezo volume/blend knob, please notice that it will deliver and out of phase sound between 2 consecutive strings, being one almost mute compared with the other. This is due to the alternate phase of the piezo elements. To eliminate this effect one has to replace the piezo elements of some of the saddles so they they all match the same phase. When I got my second RG2027XVV, it came with the opposite phase of the piezos (compared to the first one), so I just swapped some saddles around and bang!, no more phase issues with mixed piezos and mags. As most can't get a chance on owning a 2nd guitar, give LR Baggs a call/email, for they are the manufacturers of said piezo elements and internal preamp (I've replaced one also in one of mine).

Now, let's wait for @Dexter.Sinister to post some more PICTURES...

mlp187, Dexter.Sinister and The906 like this.
  13. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

Thanks for the info. I have a boring related story. One and only time I went to NAMM in 2000, walk up to the Ibanez booth and there's this guy playing a Saber with two jacks plugged in, I think it was David Fiucisnki. I had no idea wtf that was but now all is clear these many years later.
    Looks like it was the S version of the OP's guitar.

14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ding Ding Ding!

Ibanez Prestige RG2027x with the piezo inserts in the bridge.

The906, aesthyrian, mlp187 and 3 others like this.
  15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Member

Many thanks!

Your comment about phase in the piezos was eyebrow raising.

16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Member

Fuze is a beast.

17. odibrom

odibrom .

AFAIK Ibanez never did a 7 string Saber with double edge bridge (piezos). The S2020X was the prestige 6 string version of this one. There have been several models through the years, either in the Saber line as well as in the RG line, for more or less until 2007 (?)...

A 7 string, 24 fret, HH pickup config double edge Saber is my dream guitar, but it never happen... so far... I think.

It only happens with the KJG mod (switch swapping). If the guitar is original, you won't notice anything. Within the cavity there is a small preamp for the piezos with an additional trim pot (piezo gain) and a phase switch, for when and if you'll do the mod and swap out those pickups (which are not originals in the photos, DiMarzios?). Without the mod, the internal phase switch does nothing, nor will you find any phase issue with the piezos whenever you'll use them.

For more infos on this subject, take a flash back to March 2016 - http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/twin-guitar-day.307998/ read the 2 pages, in the 2nd there are some sound samples. a little further back to october 2015 there's another thread about these guitars with plenty interesting info - http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ibanez-rg2027x-owners-little-help-please.302613/.

Again, feel free to ask anything about these for I think I know their guts deeply...

18. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Awesome score. Fantastic guitars those!

19. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Member

Air Norton 7 neck and Evolution 7 F spaced bridge.

Thanks fir the info!

aesthyrian and odibrom like this.
  20. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Member