Returning after a break...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Vyn, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

...and it's wicked to be back!

I left the site sometime in 2013 mainly because I'd just gone through a period of selling pretty much all my gear to cover moving costs at the time and hadn't been playing much at all. Now back to playing every day with a bad case of GAS. Since when was there this much choice for 7's?!

EverDream likes this.
  2. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Since 8's rose in popularity! :D

3. Vyn

There's options other than a RG2228 these days? :p It's awesome to see, especially because a lot of the specs on the production guitars now are matching what people used to spec for builds from custom builders. Heck even the low end stuff has improved in quality.

4. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Yeah, I remember when it was just the RG2228, I wanted an 8-string so bad but it was too expensive for me, fast-forward to September of 2015 and I caught a brand new neck-thru 28.625" inch model of the Agile Intrepid for only $400 USD (about $526 AUD right now, but at the time the exchange rate would have had it at around $568 AUD). All the other Agile 28.625" inch 8-string neck-thru models were $500 at minimum. It was just plain white and didn't have a good quality photo taken of it, and it must have not been selling for too long, so he lowered the price $100, and that was enough for me to be able to afford one finally.

True there were bolt-on and 27" models that were around $300-$400, but I really wanted longer than 27" because I knew I'd be wanting to tune down as I always have on all my guitars, and 27" just wouldn't cut it for length with how low the lowest notes would be. Since I bought that, I still haven't seen a brand new 28.625" neck-thru model at anything less than about $500 USD, so I really got lucky with that purchase, and I love it! I actually had all black guitars prior to that (except for my acoustic which is the usual light brown most acoustic guitars are) so it was nice having a white one for a change, and it was way more gorgeous when it arrived than the crappy photos showed. Also the fretboard is ebony, so the contrast is really nice, the white guitar and dark fretboard (I haven't taken any photos of it, but there are photos of the model with active pickups (that cost more than $400, mine had passive pickups, but that's what I wanted anyway) where basically everything else is the same as mine, and the photos of that model are high quality and do the guitar justice I'd say, so you could still see it via those photos).

I love how it sounds, it definitely is way harder to play fast though, and more attention has to be paid to string muting, but for slower heavier playing it's awesome! I have it tuned to drop-A right now one octave below drop-A on a 7-string, and it's awesome it's like I have a baritone guitar and 2 bass strings, sometimes I actually play along with songs doing the bass-line if I don't feel like whipping out my bass guitar. If I was going to play something fast, then my 7-string Schecter would be better, but I prefer slower playing lately, so I've been playing the 8 exclusively ever since I bought it. I need to get back to playing the other guitars again, lol. I'm just trying to build strength by playing this one exclusively because it does take more strength with the tighter strings, so I'll probably keep playing this one until I feel I've reached a level I'm content with, strength-wise. Either that or until I get tired of it, lol, whatever comes first, lol.

Sorry this ended up being a small novel of some sorts, I never did a NGD post on this guitar here (I wasn't active on here when I first bought it), so I kinda ended up doing that right here with you, lol. Anyway welcome back to the forum, wow 4 years was a long time, it's funny I was inactive until earlier this year, since about 2013 also, so that's a funny coincidence. Anyway, see ya around! :wavey:

5. teqnick

teqnick The Juggernaut

Dude, I'm in the same exact boat as you. Used to scour these pages day in and day out, trading gear, honing my chops, and actually contributing useful threads :cond:. It's crazy to see how much everything has evolved. There's so much shit that's been released in the past couple of years that I would have killed for circa 2011. Welcome back. It seems like a great time. I'm super interested to see what becomes more widely available as the CITES regulations get stricter.

EverDream likes this.
  6. Vyn

Haha, all good! It's always interesting to hear other people's experiences and I haven't got much in the knowledge of 8's so you've also taught me something :) I'd like to get an 8 just to mess around on. I come from a classically trained background and enjoyed transposing piano pieces to play on 7's, be fun to see what they would be like on an 8!

Yeah, 7's are almost mainstream now which is weird as - I remember the local shops used to bawk and go "Why would you want 7 strings, 6 is plenty" whenever I'd go to order something. Here was really the only place where you could discuss 7's 8's etc. Now those same shops have like 4-5 7's on the wall at anyone time haha! I've been Jackson for years and at the time the options were infinity dollars for a USA COW custom or a SLAT3-7 (the original MIJ one with the bass headstock) (I think Broderick had signed to Jackson by then but his sigs and the rest of the revamped line hadn't hit store floors yet). Now I think they have including model variations like 30-40 different 7's available for order and that's before CS!

Cheers for the welcome guys!

EverDream likes this.
  7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

[​IMG]

But seriously, the fuck you been?