Retro game?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by bostjan, Jun 30, 2016.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hi guys, thanks for reading another bostjan thread.

I tried to make my own platforming-type retro-style game ages ago. I worked on it completely by myself, and it's not entirely finished, nor tested outside of a few computers to which I have access. I'm not really a computer programmer, so doing this sort of thing from scratch without help has been daunting me.

You can find a google site for it here. Or download it here.

It's totally obligation free, if anyone has a machine that will run it, I'd be tickled pink to hear what people think of it.

2. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

It does run, no problem, I just keep dying. Also, while it says "press ctrl to run", ctrl does nothing for me, alt makes me run.
    I just thought about trying to make kind of a retro 2D jump'n'run/sidescroll shooter myself a few days back (when a random fb post made me aware of Unity engine) and actually came to the forums to ask if anyone has ever tried that :D Doing this completly from scratch would be way beyond me, so I find this kind of impressive. I just fail to make it through the first level :D

3. bostjan

I'm assuming that the controls are gunked up if you are having trouble with the first level. I'll have to try to fix that. You can also use an old-school Gravis-compatible gamepad, I believe. I had a friend try it with a Playstation 3 controller and he said it worked, but I have yet to try that myself, so I'm not too certain it does.

Do the physics work okay?

Thanks so much for trying it!

4. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Made it to level 3 this time, much easier for me if I just try to avoid the enemies.
    Jumping works fine for me, I can reach the platforms although some are a bit hard to reach which I suppose is the point. It's the timing of the melee attack that I get wrong all the time, not so much the controls (although my fingers still want to press space to jump and ctrl for attack :D )

5. bostjan

I should make an options menu to assign controls. I think I'll work on that soon. I don't know why I didn't do that right off.

6. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

As I said, I have no idea how to do any of that without a pre build engine, it could as well be magic :D