Resident Evil 7

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

So I finally played the "Beginning Hour" teaser on PlayStation. Pretty awesome, love the atmosphere. Of course, it reminded me of P.T, just not as scary :lol: after I played through it once I went on the Internet and damn, people are obsessed with this 20 minute teaser. The amount of hidden stuff in it is pretty sweet, from the motif of 7 running throughout to the hidden lockpick and phone calls. I can't imagine playing this in VR! I think it was a good call to switch to first person; hopefully this will truly bring Resident Evil back to its roots. Has anyone else played this? Since we won't be getting Silent Hills, we need this game to deliver haha

2. Pav

Pav ???

I played it as soon as it was available after E3. It is a wonderful change of pace for the franchise and I can't wait for inevitable next demo. I'll be getting this game at release. Though it's worth mentioning that we are still sort of getting Silent Hills in a way.

3. QuantumCybin

Are you referring to RE7 because of the similar playstyle, or because of Kojima's new game with Norman Reedus, Death Stranding?

4. Pav

Pav ???

I was referring to Death Stranding, which looks like Kojima is essentially going to finish making the game under a different name. I'm guessing the loss of the Silent Hill franchise will change things up quite a bit but I'm still optimistic (or just incredibly hopeful) that he carries on the terrifying awesomeness that was PT.

5. QuantumCybin

Yeah, Death Stranding is going to be interesting, to say the least. Kojima did say it's going to be an action game, though. But who knows? He's known for being misleading, I mean he made it look like P.T. was made by an indie studio :lol:

6. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I have played it and as a long time Resident Evil fan/player, it is very different from what I'm used to in the RE universe. It was weird seeing, won't spoil it for anyone, what I saw in the playable teaser. I'm optimistic about the game, though. A lot of people thought Capcom had lost their mind when Ganados appeared in RE4 but the game became one of the best in the franchise. Change can be a good thing but we can only see what happens when the full game comes out. :cool:

7. GodOfChugs

GodOfChugs SSO's Chugmeister

I saw some gameplay footage of this earlier, I feel like RE is opening up a bit more and they're going to attract a whooooole new area of people :hbang:

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Necrobump, I know, but I feel the need to ask this.

So I've had this game since shortly after release. It is a GREAT game, but honestly, its been very difficult to progress because I get anxiety playing this game (I guess that's a sign that its doing its job right?). Even when I had two people in the room and a light on, anxiety hit. So.... Do I suck it up and get over the fear, suck it up enough to at least finish a play through, or throw in the towel, admit I don't have a chutzpah for this game, and trade it in while the value is still probably decent enough?

Outlast is the only game to really give me anxiety like this, but even that I can still make my way through (although I hear Outlast 2 is quite scarier...)

9. fps

fps Kit

I have to go into the Greenhouse and kill Marguerite. I... I don't want to...

10. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

Hands down one of the best boss fights I've ever seen. Her design and the atmosphere/environment you have to fight her in is so good/terrifying. Getting chills thinking about it. Good luck, and god speed.

11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I felt the same way you do. When I first started playing this game, I expected some jump scares, but it's so much more than that. The atmosphere is a big part of what unsettles me when I play it, and I literally never know when I'm going to encounter Jack. Progression for me was a two sided blade as it seemed like the more I progressed, they more they punished me. The anxiety element is definitely there. It would be different if you had the mobility and weapons of Doomguy or someone like that, but you don't. You're an ordinary person trapped in a hellhole and in my opinion, it does a great job of reminding you of that quite often. I'd say keep going, but don't do anything that would actually risk your physical health.

12. Ralyks

Whats weird is, I like horror games. I've played Alien Isolation, SOMA, Silent Hill 2, some of the olders REs, Until Dawn, Outlast, Evil Within, plenty of others. But RE7 is seriously just something else.

13. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I think a lot of it is the fact that it's first person combined with the atmosphere and the random noises. I mean 30 minutes into the game after you've already encountered your girlfriend, every little noise keeps you on edge. Frankly, I haven't seen another game that replicates this effect so well.

14. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

True horror is all about atmosphere. The fear that something can happen is infinitely more terrifying than all the jump scares on earth. They nailed this game. I haven't been this scared to take every step since Amnesia.

15. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I have played through three times, awesome game!

16. Ralyks

I'm going to try again, and if I simply can't get anywhere, I'm trading it in at the end of the week. It truly is a great game, but this is the first time I have felt a game give me physical anxiety. And again, I normally don't have that kind of issue with Horror games.

17. Ralyks

I put maybe another hour and a half into the game. I think I can do this. I mean, I was playing in broad daylight at the time, but I feel like now that I have a better feel of the game, I can enjoy it like any other horrow game I've played. But man,
    Jack half-decapitating that police officer.... blurgh...
    The Baker family are such great protagonists

18. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

yeah, i totally agree, there are parts in this game that made me physically react with anxiety and just want to drop my controller and run

19. Ralyks

It's definitely the atmosphere. Few games come close to the atmosphere this game offers (I'm also purely a console gamer, so can't speak for PC games). Outlast and Alien: Isolation probably have come closest for me, and maybe moments of the first Bioshock.

20. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

loved this game, think I put in 38 hours. Definitely scary, one of the boss jump scares nearly gave me a heart attack haha. really excited for the DLC. . . if it ever comes out.