Resell Rant

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Leberbs, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

The music scene in my area was on the decline when I began playing guitar and it's nearly nonexistent now. The last venue for full size bands in town announced its "funeral" a few weeks ago.
    Anyway, when I found some guys to play with, I immediately went and bought a dual recto with matching OS 4x12. We played a few outdoor gigs, but that amp was kept in a case and the cab carefully handled. Besides the dust, it's mint.

It's been on various facebook music groups for over a year with 2 lowball offers and up on reverb for about 8 months with 1 lowball offer.
    I drove an hour to the shop where I purchased the amp and they wouldn't even give me a sell or trade-in offer - they can't move anything at that price and size.
    Went to the shop next to that one - approximately $800 FOR THE HEAD AND CAB towards a trade. No sell price. At this point I knew I wouldn't get what I wanted for the head. So, I tried to trade the cab for one of their mesa 1x12 just to get it off my hands because it just isn't worth it to ship. They wouldn't even do that for the prior shop's reason - can't move something at that price and size.
    Last stop, guitar center... Trade-in value: $360 for cab + $660 for head = $1020. Cash value: $300 for cab + $500 for head = $850.

What in the hell is going on???????????????

Can't move it on reverb, can't move it on facebook, shops won't take it (yet they have tri-amps, triple crowns, Mark Vs, deluxe reverbs, etc.) or they won't offer me anything that'll cover a months mortgage note.
    Next closest towns are New Orleans and Houston. I'm right in the middle of them and I don't know if it's worth a 3hr drive just on a 'maybe'.

Does my area just suck or what? I don't get it.

End rant.

2. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I always take 20% off inital price when reselling. Every time I sell a guitar I price it that way

takotakumi likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Common amps like these depreciate worse than cars.

4. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Rule of thumb for me is 2nd hand = 60% of retail.

No way retail is going to touch 2nd hand goods as they need to put their own margin on top to break even; they might as well just sell new.

You've pretty much answered your own question. No music scene = no market for large 4x12 gig rigs.

FILTHnFEAR and takotakumi like this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

DId you buy it new? The prices are what they are man.

A mess 412 is like 500. 450 if you want to move it fast.

The head is like 1k. 900 if you move it fast.

Gc was giving you 50-60 percent of the price they’d be able to sell it at. That seems standard.

Are you sure you aren’t mistaking reasonable offers for lowball offers.

I’d offer 1350 for both and expect you to hit back with like 1400-1450.

6. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Nobody wants to haul 4x12 cabs around anymore.

7. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Bought it brand spankin new. I was expecting $1400 minimum for the set.

8. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Realized this when I brought my stuff in. 90% of the stock was combo amps.

9. diagrammatiks

I think 1400 is doable. But no one really wants a 412 anymore.
    I don’t think it would be that hard to sell the head for 850-900 shipped. And the cab locally for 450.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I feel $1400 for the set is fair, but you're in competition with tons of folks who are willing to price them at that. Unless you can find someone local, you're pretty much stuck until you lower the price.

I know that sucks. We've all lost our shirts on a piece of gear.

Maybe look into trades? Not just musical gear. Pretty much every time I throw an amp or guitar up on CL I get at least a half dozen guys offering motorcycles, ATVs, etc.

vilk likes this.
  11. diagrammatiks

Definitely add in craigslist. It’s become a shit show in the last few years...but as far as the cab is concerned it might be the only way to sell it without taking a complete bath.

Craigslist also has a lot of older people that don’t really know how to use the internet. But they can craigslist and pick stuff up.

I also don’t feel like mesas are that popular right now. 5 years ago dual recs were pretty hot. There’s definitely been a Mark resurgence.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  12. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Welcome to the marketplace.
    Enjoy your stay.

13. diagrammatiks

I just looked over reverb really quick. There are a handful of dual recs sitting at 875 and below that aren’t selling. Cabs are sitting at 500 and being listed for months.

Think 1400 might be tough in this market.
    Some of these lower priced items have been sitting for months.

I think if you really had to sell right now 750 for the head shipped and 400-450 local pickup for the cab might make it happen.

14. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I should probably just go back to GC and take that $1020 offer.

15. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Hate to say it but GC is gonna be your best bet.

16. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

There's almost no chance of that. They're both very common products and many people, myself included, will look to the used market first and couldn't care less if you're the first or fifth owner; so the fact that you bought them new is almost meaningless as far as what a buyer is willing to pay. My local shop has a Dual Rectifier that has been sitting in the shop for about a month at $799. Much like the shops you visited, they won't even entertain taking in most amps.

Unfortunately your price needs to stand out as an obvious deal compared to the mass of ~$800+shipping listings to move a head so common quickly.
    With the cab, consider taking a trade for an instrument and then trying to flip that, that's the only way I was able to unload my 4x12 and I ended up breaking even in the end.

Unless you have something you have your eye on in their store that is worth $1020 or less, if you're looking at guitar center's trade in value as your best bet try dropping your prices accordingly; at least then you might walk away with some cash. Maybe try to make it up to $1100, can't hurt worse than their cash offer of $850.

17. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

I had a mint Mesa 4x12 for sale locally a while ago. Thing sat for 4 months until a guy came along and offered $375. I took it and ran.
    I wasn't out much since I paid $400 for it 5 years before that, but the market for heavy ass 4x12s sucks.

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Clean it up and make it look mint before you take it in. You'd be surprised what a difference a clean piece of gear will fetch vs a dirty one.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  19. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Can't remember the exact amount, but I know I paid at least $1k for the cab.

20. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

^ Doesn't matter. First, don't buy new. Second, it is a buyer's market and most people are looking for smaller pieces of kit. Unless that cab is loaded with speakers covered in Jimi's magic voodoo sauce, you are not going to get anything close to what you paid for it. GC already has at least 5 Mesa cabinets on their site right now for under 500 bucks.

FILTHnFEAR, CrazyDean and Leberbs like this.