Reradiusing neck, locking nut question

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bobo, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

So I have a neck that I'm going to refret and that I'd also like to reradius to 20" from 12". It has a Floyd, and it looks like the nut radius is 10".

I don't see any nut options that would be 20", maybe I've missed them? Would it be advisable to try to reradius the nut with a Dremel? I could live with the mismatch, but I'm a low string action fanatic lol.

Thanks!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depending on the guitar, perhaps consider getting an Ibanez locking nut with a radius just under 17".

Floyd does also make 15" radius nuts.

If you're confident in your abilities, you can try modifying the existing nut, but at that point it might just be easier to install a zero fret.

Bobo likes this.
  3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

This has become a popular brain fart, as of late.

Floyd Rose bridges and nuts are not made in a 20” radius. Last I checked, the flattest locking nut you can get is 16.” FR saddles can be shimmed to whatever radius, but the absence of matching locking nuts for radii other than 10”, 12”, 14”, 15.75”, and 16” result in such mods being uncommon. I’d love a 20” FR, but it’s never really been an option.

If you’re truly a “low string action fanatic”, then you’re liable to either get a 20” radius guitar with a different bridge, or accept that a double-locking trem with a 16” fingerboard isn’t going to hold your playing back from whatever your 20” potential is imagined to be.

For the hell of it, I’ll mention that my guitars have the following fingerboard radii (in inches): 9.5, 10, conical 10-13, 12, conical 12-16, 14, 15.75, 16, 20, and ∞. I reach for the one I feel like playing, and radius is almost never a consideration. And I, too, prefer my action as low as I can get away with. It’s just different for each guitar; and not a factor in the ceiling of my meager technique or speed.

My point is that this project can still be a learning experience but, between entertaining the thought of dremeling a new radius into a locking nut and assuming there’s enough fingerboard or inlay material to remove without ruining the guitar, it’s liable to not yield the results you envision.

Vyn, Bobo and The906 like this.
  4. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

The guitar has the R1 FR nut, 39.7mm wide, 33.25mm E-E spacing. Kinda odd or rare I guess. It needs a new nut anyway, so first I can experiment with the old one to see how my radius modification goes.

I didn't think there was a possibility of the board/inlays not having enough material. Seems like the amount of material that would need to be removed would not be that much?