Reptile and Amphibian Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vampiregenocide, Jan 24, 2012.

1. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

So SilenceIsACrime recently got a frilled lizard, and I know numerous people on here have reptiles of their own or like them, so I figured this could be a thread where people can just talk about reptiles and amphibians in general. :) They're a group of animals that have always interested me greatly and I've been lucky enough to get up close and own some awesome ones. I've owned an axolotl, African clawed frogs and a leopard gecko. :) Pics of those below (Not mine).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I wanted a lizard terribly when I was a kid, now I'm going to wait until I can support one:lol:

I loved reptiles, and still do, they are just... so awesome:)

3. SilenceIsACrime

SilenceIsACrime Indeed.

[​IMG]

Had to :D

But yes, I have been fascinated with reptiles ever since I was a young lad and am super happy to be an owner of such an awesome lizard again! As far as other reptiles I've owned: when I was much younger I had a Rosy Boa named Snack and not much later I had a Bearded Dragon named Hartley. Here are some stock pics of both....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone please share your pets or simply your thoughts about how awesome reps and phibs are!

4. vampiregenocide

I really want a python or a gecko at the moment. :( A blood python or New Caledonian giant gecko would be badass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

LSDHFLASHKJDF I want a fucking lizard! Or a snake. A snake will do :)

I've never owned any amphibians or reptiles before, given that they're pretty much hated within my family members :lol:. However, about 3 weeks ago, my sisters made an impulse buy of two African clawed frogs. The thing is, since it was an impulse buy, they didn't do their research and homework before acquiring them.

Guess what? They're bright fucking blue and bright fucking green. They are dyed. They're apparently the new trend in China. They get albino African clawed frogs and inject them with dye when they're little, which can apparently hurt them severely. Sure, they look extremely cute (they don't look like live animals. They look like small toys). They don't sell the appropriate foods for them here. It's freaking cruel :(... My sisters and I are trying everything we can to give them the best life possible.

On another note, axolotls are badass. I want to own one at some point :).

6. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

Sadly myself and the missus won't be keeping any more reptiles. However meet Kai, the Leopard Gecko who slithered off this mortal coil aged 12+

[​IMG]

7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

For most of my life, I've harbored an un-explainable, visceral obsession with King Cobras.

[​IMG]

Dunno what it is, exactly, but I find them completely hypnotic.

8. vampiregenocide

They're very intelligent, regal animals. Mambas and cobras tend to be more active and curious than other snakes too, so they're fun to watch. Scary though, a fully grown king cobra can look at you at eye level when raised up.

9. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

I have no pictures of her atm I am afraid but I own a leopard gecko called Bob. Thats right she was called Bob before my brother could tell her sex but the name stuck!

She is awesome, very interesting animals. Pretty happy aswell as she suffered some damage to her jaw from a locus that had evolved to its final stage and I had to nurse her back to health after she lost alot of weight off both her tail and body.

Thankfully she is now back up to weight and the strength has returned to her jaw so all is well, went for a bit of worry for a while and literally had to hand feed her for a while which was weird (now that she is back up to full health she wont still eat from my hand which is good as it shows she still enjoys the hunt).

Other than that we have a Platinum ball python which is my brothers, he is into all his morph snakes so is trying to get some interesting hatchlings from breeding with the right genes etc (he is much more of a reptile nerd than I!).

10. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

This is what my brother hopes to be able to get from his breeding.

The Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python:
    [​IMG]

Pied Ball Pythons are also stunning, amazing patterns.
    [​IMG]

11. Alberto7

^ Those are some of the most beautiful snakes I have ever seen.

12. vampiregenocide

Those are gorgeous morphs, they fetch a lot on the market too. I'd love a blue eye.

13. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

Yeah they are really amazing looking snakes.

My brother was also showing me pictures the other day of scaleless corn snakes, which look really really odd. Sometimes i think people can go a bit ott with the selective gene breeding although I suppose as long as the snake remains fit and healthy its all in the pursuit of interesting varieties

Obligatory first find google pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so their not strictly scaleless as they tend to have a few on their face/mouth but still very interesting, found myself wondering if they actually shed as per normal, may have to find out.

Great thread though, reptiles are such fascinating animals.

14. vampiregenocide

Woah what is that? Never seen it before. Gorgeous.

15. SilenceIsACrime

SilenceIsACrime Indeed.

Those snakes are all stunning!

When I was looking for supplies for my Frilled this shop I went to actually had a "scaleless" Bearded Dragon. He said he imported it from Italy and that there are only 30 or so in the world! Here are some pics I took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is one the worlds largest Western Hognose Snake dealers in the world and also deals with some morph stuff. He was the first to breed one with two heads - he showed us a pic on his phone to prove it. Crazy stuff!

16. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    None more trippy.

17. vampiregenocide

Especially if you lick them. :lol:

18. Alberto7

Also none more venomous :lol:. Unless you raise it in captivity, of course :)

19. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Jontain, you wouldn't happen to be a member of ball-pythons.net, would you? I've seen a couple of those pictures. Also, that BEL is absolutely beautiful. I've owned a few reptiles (mostly Anole lizards), but only have one currently. Kaa, my Normal ball python.
    [​IMG]

Looking to get a bigger constrictor later this year, provided that they aren't banned by then.

20. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

That is, indeed, one giant damn lizard.
    I've always found reptiles very fascinating since I was young (had an obsession with dinosaurs back then as I'm sure most young men did that that age), but snakes have always kinda terrified me. I understand they aren't all necessary hostile or anything, but it's just a personal thing for me, so as long as it's behind glass (or I am) then we are all copacetic :lol:.
    Lizards are quite awesome though, and that scaleless bearded dragon looks incredible!