Replacing pick ups in Carvin DC800

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Frostbite, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I recently bought a DC800 used off GC and it should be here in a few days. I have another Carvin so I know that Carvin uses slightly smaller body routing for their pick ups that requires some routing to get aftermarket pick ups to fit. Has anyone had any experience changing the pick ups in a DC800 and did you have to route any of the body to get new pick ups to fit? I've found some posts that say I will be (these were more general about Carvin and not specific to the DC800) and others don't even mention is when mentioning them switching out pick ups so I wanted to see what other people's experience was. Thanks!

2. BigViolin

BigViolin SS.org Regular

I got BKPs to fit in my DC7x by gently removing about .5 mm from each long side along the edge of the baseplate. I didn't want to rout and it worked out great. I would assume the routs are the same width top to bottom on the 8 string.

Does your 800 have passive routs or soapbar?

Frostbite likes this.
  3. Frostbite

I don't have it in my hands since it is still in transit but it looks like they are the A80 soapbar routes. Did you use soap bar style BKPs for it?

4. BigViolin

BigViolin SS.org Regular

No, passive routes, so I used uncovered pups.

Looks like the BKP soapbars are 38.4 mm by 101.5.

A80s are 4.01" by 1.5 or 101.85 mm by 38.1. You might get by by sanding the edge of the cover at worst, or they might just fit.

Not sure about Duncans.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Frostbite likes this.
  5. Frostbite

I was thinking possibly going the Tosin Fluence set and those look like they're 101.82mm by 37.89 so it looks like those would fit without any issue. Great to know about the BKP dimensions since that is also a route I may go. Looks like I have all the info I need. Thanks man I appreciate the help.

6. BigViolin

BigViolin SS.org Regular

:cheers:

I'm really curious about that set, let us know how they sound if you get them. Best of luck!

7. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

DC700 here, when I replaced the Carvin stock with EMGs, I don't think I had to sand that much if at all. My RG8 was much worse, had to use a Dremel for that one. The DC700 now have SD Pegasus/Sentient soapbars, they fit with no issues at all.