Replacing electronics....

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by FILTHnFEAR, Feb 1, 2018.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

...in my RG1527.

I'm replacing the volume pot as it seized up, so I figure I'll go ahead and replace the tone pot and 5 way switch as well.

What kind should I be looking at? Dimarzio, CTS, another brand? Also, I'm hearing conflicting info on long or short shaft pots? I'm thinking long but not sure.

Really trying to prevent ordering the wrong thing and dealing with returns and more waiting.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I tend to go with either Bourns or CTS for pots, depends on what's cheaper at the moment. Depending on the guitar I go with CRL or OEM Ibanez Super Switches. I'd grab the Super Switch in this case.

As for the pot shafts, you want short or "standard" depending on where you order from. The long shafts are meant for carved top guitars like Les Pauls.

Don't forget to get good wire too. I stick to 22AWG solid core. You can use 26AWG for shorter runs and jumpers if you need the space.

3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I’d leave the switch unless you want something specific from a super switch. It’s a proprietary design that enables the typical 1527 switching scheme. A standard 5-way won’t do it. Of course you could do it with a 4-pole super switch, but I wouldn’t bother unless you want something different.

FILTHnFEAR and Matt08642 like this.
  4. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I personally don't like solid core wiring. I never heard tonal difference that justified using it and it's more annoying to work with. If you have tight cavities or have to bend and route the wires around pots, switches, jacks, etc. stranded wire is much easier then having to worry about fracturing the solid core stuff. Especially if you have to go back in there and work again, change pickups a couple times or other parts, solid core is not great for revisiting.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

Max pretty much covered everything. I like bourns and CTS pots since they seem to have a bit better tolerance than OEM pots. the value of capacitors are a matter of preference (I like to use .022uf) and smaller values are going to be a bit more subtle with their effects, while larger values tend to work better for darkening up the tone. I also prefer solid core wire but that's more because I like to minimize clutter in my electronics cavities.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

The old guy who taught me how to wire up guitars was a devout solid core user.

I like how rigid it is and find it easier to solder since not only does it want to stay in place, but the gauge I recommend is perfect for mating up to pot and switch terminals.

I can probably count on one hand how many times I've damaged the core in almost two decades.

But, it's more of a personal preference thing like you said. I don't think there's any tonal advantage.

odibrom and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  7. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

I usually buy Bourns pots from mouser as they're cheap as chips (3 for 15, including shipping! 20% tolerance but they're usually within 5).

As far as switches, the CRL/Oak Grigsby superswitch is my choice.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

So I got a short shaft but it's too short to fit enough thru to get the knob on.

Guess I do need the other size.

9. MaxOfMetal

How thick are the washers?

I'm sitting here with the guts of four RG7s and they're all standard shaft. :scratch:

10. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I don't get it either. Consensus was that those were the ones to get.

The washers may very well be the issue. I didn't have much time with it tho.I'll have to check when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks Max. Will update.

11. MaxOfMetal

Make sure that the pot is flush against the top of the control cavity. You should only need a friction washer on the underside.

Then use as thin of a washer as you have and the dress nut to secure the top.

You're going to have to press on the bottom of the pot and carefully tighten the nut on top. The friction washer should compress and set in place.

What type of shaft did you get? Split?

FILTHnFEAR likes this.