Replacing an OFR 7 with an Ibanez Lo Pro Edge 7?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BrutalRob, Jan 13, 2018.

1. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can chime in and help me with this.
    I thought about replacing my original floyd rose 7 with an Ibanez Lo Pro Edge 7.
    But i can't find any technical drawings to check the dimensions.
    The German distributor for Ibanez had no idea and contacting Gotoh didn't help either, just told me i should ask ibanez....

Anyone got experience on this?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It should fit.

It really depends on the tolerances of the route on your specific guitar. I've done OFR to Lo-Pro and vice versa, sometimes it takes a little bit of work, and others it goes right in.

I will say that the post spacing in typical a millimeter or two off, but I've only run into a problem there once.

3. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Don't know about the tolerance, bit it's a custom guitar so the routing was done to the dimensions provided by floyd rose.

The edge on one side is straight isn't it? So it should compensate in case the post spacing is off a bit.

What do you mean by " it takes a bit of work"? Routing?

4. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...-guide-what-trem-will-fit-what-cavity.236457/

Looks like you will be able to fit it, but you will for sure need to replace the posts

5. MaxOfMetal

The "wings" of the trems, the area on either side of the saddles behind the knife edges on the base plate, around the route sometimes need about 1/16" of material removed for freedom of movement. Same goes for just behind the string locking bolts/fine tuner assembly.

It's easy to do if you take your time, but depending on guitars finish it can be tricky to get it looking pro.

6. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Could you give me some dimensions so i can check?

7. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Andwjy would i need to replace the posts?

8. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

Same dimensions as the Edge, and yes you will need to fully replace the posts, and they are not drop in replacements at all.

Attached Files:

9. MaxOfMetal

You don't always have to replace the posts. It really depends on the year, make and installation type of the FR.

10. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

You 1 million percent should be replacing the posts going from a floyd rose to an edge. the grooves are not cut the same, the post spacing is likely incorrect for the edge, the distance between the posts and the nut might look usable, but the saddles might sit differently on a floyd/edge, so intonation will be difficult/impossible to dial in properly (this is actually an issue if you try to replace an Edge pro with a lo-pro edge), the edge will have locking studs as well.

Attached are a few pics from Rich @ IbanezRules

There are a lot of reasons to replace them with the correct posts, and the main reason to not do it is "well, it's good enough" which is a recipe for disaster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. MaxOfMetal

We're talking the 7-string variants, which lineup a lot better than the 6-string stuff.

I've done this on numerous guitars. There is no "disaster" (calm down :lol:) waiting to happen.

The thing is, it really depends on the guitar in question and it's setup. Not all guitars with OFR7s are identical.

12. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

The 7 string variants have the same issues, since the design difference is the saddles and intonation range. If you want to do this, go ahead, but I'd be mad if a tech set my guitar up this way by swapping something in, told me it was good enough and it's fine, then I run out of intonation range.

Obviously if you put it in the guitar and it intonates fine and stays in tune, that's great, but not how I like things done at all. My main concern would be the knife edge/post interaction. The grooves are different.

13. MaxOfMetal

The saddles are adjustable far beyond the needed range in 99% of cases. I'm speaking relative to the scale of the guitar in proper intonation.

The posts on both units are roughly 84.5mm apart. Any difference is going to come down to installation tolerances.

The string spacing is roughly 1mm different accross 7 strings, so almost undetectable.

The divots on the posts are a non-issue. String tension and the cut of the knife edges keeps everything in place. With proper lubrication you won't have any problems outside usual wear.

I think the swap is pointless and expensive. Not to mention depends heavily on the OFR7 install. But, the issues you bring up are either non-existent or greatly exaggerated.

14. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

This is what I can agree on. I have an OFR guitar, a LoPro edge, and edge pro guitar, and while the OFR isn't what I'm used to, it absolutely isn't worth dropping an Edge or LoPro in to.

All your other points I don't agree with and personally prefer being meticulous about, but I won't go further in to that since we'd just be at a stalemate till one of us stopped replying lmao.

but yeah OP, probably just stick with the OFR7 unless you feel like sinking time and money in to something that yields no tangible benefit other than preference.

15. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Ok, thanks a lot for your help guys, much appreciated!

16. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I tried to put a Lo Pro 7 on a Tom Anderson Drop Top 7, and it did NOT fit into the cavity route.