Removing pickup rings...permanently?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by J_Mac, Jul 26, 2018.

1. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

I do hate pup rings, has anyone got any ingenious solutions for removing them and tidying up the top? Or an alternative solution? Like custom wooden mounts or something?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

direct mounted pickups with threaded inserts is the only way to get around pickup rings that I can think of right now.
    not really sure what you mean by removing them, pickup rings should be removable.

3. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Absolutely, I have one or two guitars I’d like to take pup rings off permanently. But the routing is usually rough and there will be 4 screw holes. Just wondered if anyone had any nifty solutions...

4. KnightBrolaire

grab some scrap wood of the same type as the top wood, turn them into sawdust, and fill the holes with the sawdust. Better if you use a plug but I know it's relatively hard to make plugs that small. It probably won't look seamless though.

J_Mac likes this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Fill the holes and smooth/refinish. Its what im doing on my fender showmaster body.

Warwick do threaded inserts for inside the pickup routes for about 11 euros for 4 and shipping. Way cheaper than the $100 for 2 of the FUtone PMS stuff.

7. KnightBrolaire

you can buy threaded inserts for a couple bucks at most. installing them is relatively easy too.

lewis likes this.
  8. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

9. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Yeah I have some lying around, problem is really the screw holes in a finished top.

10. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Got any pics of that job dude?

lewis likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I have a whole thread of the progress in the mods forum mate.

I havent gotten around to the respray part yet, but the holes are filled and smoothed ready for it.
    Ive had loads of outgoings this month so progress has been slow since last month.

J_Mac likes this.
  12. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

if its just for the screw holes could you not just use toothpicks and wood glue like you would for a strap button?

13. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Ive found a lot of guitars with pup rings have very excessive routes,sometime with one side having more removed that the other (i guess due to the pup mount plates) which can look really ugly (IMO)

Take this HM strat i refinished last year

[​IMG]

To get this looking anything like acceptable for a direct mount (to me atleast) i had to bandsaw/shape some maple ears,glue and then reroute the sides,filled mounting holes with epoxy/dust (as you can see i also filled the middle position as that pup gets in the way of my picking ;) )

[​IMG]

base coat then top coat/gloss

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So this might look all peachy and hidden but....after 10 months of curing the top coat/gloss has sunk somewhat in the filled areas as the epoxy under it has shrunk doh!....im hopping i can get away with just rubbing down and rebuilding the clear in just the sunken parts...

Anyhows if you have good clean routes under your rings id fill with a tooth pick that's a few mm short of the top,if you need an odd color match pop along to a nail polish shop with your guitar and see if they can match it (or ifs its a real wacky color lightly sand some of the paint from inside the trem/cavities if it's been painted) then clear/epoxy/CA the top and polish to blend in

Randy, cardinal and J_Mac like this.
  14. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Amazing! What a paint job! Thanks for the tips dude.

I’ve had a couple of goes at paint but just can’t get away with it. Far too messy for me!

The guitars I have in mind are stained and nitro’d. I can’t see a solution other than some sort of wooden ‘skirt’ to replace the plastic pup rings...

15. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Thx :) i have a love/hate relationship with painting,love the finished articular hate the work involved (id love a full compressor/gun setup to do more/faster but don't have the space so rattle cans it is)

humm on stained and nitro’d how about clear pup rings or maybe some matching wooden/stained ones ? not DM levels of sexy but better than plastic/chrome (or dear god ivory/cream urghh)

J_Mac likes this.
  16. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

‘Freeze and fill’ cyanacrylate from Stewmac won’t shrink or settle and a quality epoxy like West System can be thickened with non-shrinking colloidal filler, you can buy it in very small single-use packs...filling with dowels and wood almost always causes some “shift” in the finish down the road due to the grain variation and moisture and acclamation of the wood itself

aesthyrian and JimF like this.
  17. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Just noticed this thread, I just bought a ridiculously cheap and amazing Godin Freeway classic that I wanted to upgrade (including taking the ring covers off) my issue is it has a lovely flammed maple top I dont want to ruin...

18. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Just take them off. Naked routes don't look THAT bad.

Zhysick likes this.
  19. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

In my experience a spot fill with toothpicks, well-matched dye and a suitable clear can blend in very well (depending on this and that).

20. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

You could also get fretboard-wood-matching (or exotic wood contrasting) pickup rings. Depending on the guitar, that could look quite nice.