remote desktop

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Digital Black, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I was using a KVM to switch between my two towers. But since I'm going to be getting a usb keyboard ( my KVM only uses ps2), I set up remote desktop.
    Anybody else try this?

Just tring to figure if I open myself up to any risks..?

2. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I use Netmeeting's Remote Desktop Sharing to control my server here from my main PC. As long as you're behind some sort of router, you should have no problems. There's commercial shit out there, but Netmeeting works really damn well.

You can also get a $2 adapter for your keyboard to make it PS2, ya know. ;)

3. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I have my DSL router with security and also a 32 port smart hub connecting everything together..

The new Logitech G15 gaming keyboard I'm getting is USB only, partly because it has a built in usb hub as well as a message screen..
    So far no issues.. just concerned with Redmonds normal crap security.
    Would you say the Netmeeting is safer or just easier?

4. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Behind a router, assuming you're using even the most remedial private IP scheme (192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, etc) it's safe and easy. And fuck, it's part of Windows, so it naturally integrates better than any third party stuff.

If you have your router connecting to your DSL host for you, and then running DHCP so your machines behind it grab from an unroutable IP pool, security isn't an issue unless you have a hacker that really, really wants to get at what's behind it. And if they're good enough to get in, and that determined, you're pretty much fucked anyway. ;)

Edit: That keyboard is badass btw. If I didn't have the Dinovo, I'd be all over it.

5. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I'm using this Netgear for IPSec VPN access to my home network when I am at work or out and about with my laptop, and I use VNC and SSH to access my Linux box, and then Remote Desktop to access my Windows machine.

Since there aren't any pinholes in my firewall, with the exception of the secured VPN tunnel, it's about as secure as anything without spending tens of thousands on a stiffer firewall.