regarding the Tight End R-bridges

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by soldierkahn, Oct 4, 2018.

1. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

seeing the recent Axe Palace limited run with that mahogany RGD with a tight end -r bridge got me to thinking so I wanted some feedback.

for those of you who already own a 7 string and 6 string version of the tight end-r bridges, do they have a radius? or are they flat/20"?

I am curious because the Ibanez production models have a 15.75" neck radius and Prestige models have a 16.9" neck radius, and ordinarily Ibanez will use different bridges for each class of instrument but i have seen the tight end-r bridges on RG production models, RG Premium models, and now RG Prestige models. Im a fan of the look of them as they are based off the Edge series trems, but i havent logged enough time on one to testify for it or rate it. Ive seen a couple guys replace their TER bridges with hipshot bridges but if i remember correctly those are radius'd to 14"? If someone could measure their 6 and 7 versions id be very grateful.

2. Alexlopez

Alexlopez SS.org Regular

You adjust each string height at the saddle.. so there’s no “fixed radius” at the bridge... liked with an Edge LoPro for example

soldierkahn and cwhitey2 like this.
  3. soldierkahn

I know that you can shim the saddles to flatten the radius, but the base of it when you look at it, has a slight curve to it (radius). Hipshots have a certain radius, TOM have a certain radius, etc etc.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The radius is adjustable from "infinite" or completely flat, to as much as around 14" maybe a bit more. There is a good amount of adjustment range.

There is a stepping pattern on the baseplate, but it means nothing since the saddles are easily adjustable.

The same goes for Hipshot bridges, which have an adjustment range that covers most guitars.

TOM bridges, at least traditional ABR style are not adjustable for radius without cutting the saddles.

soldierkahn likes this.
  5. soldierkahn

oHHHHH okay, now I understand what youre saying. So essentially, the radius of the hardtail doesnt mean much unless its a TOM, as most others can be adjusted to be completely flat. Sweet, okay, so that makes a bit more sense. Thanks for the clarification guys.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yep!

7. odibrom

odibrom .

Wait, all of this 'cause you weren't aware of the possibility to change the radius in most guitar bridges? The only ones that I know of that have a fixed radius are TOMs and similar bridges (like those found on some Gretsch guitars). AFAIK all fender type or derivative bridge have a way to correct/transform the saddle's height and therefore the string radius at the bridge, either by shimming the saddle (on floyd type bridges) or by using their height regulation screws on most fixed bridges and non locking vibratos... classic tele bridges also allow for height adjustments, although it's 2 strings at a time...

8. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Tele bridges allow for individual height adjustment too, they just do it by tilting the saddle rather than having it parallel to the body.

odibrom likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

@GuitarBizarre 2 strings at a time doesn't mean it can't get the job done, right?

10. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

No, but your post reads "classic tele bridges also allow for height adjustments, although it's 2 strings at a time..."

To me that gives the impression of adjusting one height for two strings - IE, not individually. Hence the clarification.

odibrom likes this.
  11. odibrom

odibrom .

@GuitarBizarre cool bro, I understand your perspective, thanks for adding to the subject...

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I owned an RG921 for a while, which had a Tight End bridge. In addition to being completely adjustable as far as radius/string height, it was also one of the most comfortable bridges I've played :yesway:

soldierkahn likes this.