Regarding Over-Moderation and Mod Style

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by caughtinamosh, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

Ha! Mod powers FTW :)

2. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

In my typical fashion I wrote a LONG post in reply to the biggness but had a family matter come up just before I submitted, I am glad you stepped in, you have a way of summing it up in a few words :yesway:

However not to waste everything I wrote here is an edit :lol:

This is not Misc or any of the other free for all, random, Off-Topic sub forums out there. Off-Topic here is the section of sevenstring.org that it's members (a group of mates, that welcome new comers) can talk about interesting topics which do not fit into the other areas of the forum. Off-Topic is not intended to be the draw card, it is supposed to be the section us 7 string guitarists go when we take off our guitar nerd hats and our interesting topic of discussion does not fit anywhere else.

Off-Topic is intended for the active contributing members of this forum, as is the classifieds. Unfortunately you get a few people who find OT, who have little to no interest in the rest of the forum and think "this place is cool, these guys say FUCK and other shit, they are going to :bowdown: to me when I copy/paste shit from 4chan".

Basically if you are here for Guitar and/or Metal and want to have a great time with a bunch of intelligent guys that love to drink and talk shit, great. If you are a douche, if you start trouble, if you are just here because you consider yourself a bit of a comic and want to share that with the world, if you are here to convert the heathen metal heads, if you are here to tell us about your clan meetings or how much you love beating "insert x group here", if you are here for any reason other then guitar and/or metal you are in the wrong place. If you do not share the general principles that the majority of members here do and feel the need to educate us or corrupt us further you are in the wrong place.

The fact is no one gives a shit about the majority of those bitching about recent moderation and the members that made this place badass are glad to see some mod intervention. We can not and will not try to make everyone happy, most guys know where the line is, where it should be and do not want it anywhere else.

In Summary if you piss off anyone who is blue or green or anyone who should be green but unfortunately isn't or if you do anything that will piss off the general community here prepare for one of these.

[​IMG]

3. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

I understand your point, believe me, I do, but I'm sure you wouldn't want someone making fun of someone you know passing away, regardless of whether or not they actually saw. I really don't see Jermaine or Janet coming here but it should be common sense to not make fun of someone who has just passed away.

4. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

God, I love the mods here!

[action=]Sheds a little tear...[/action]

5. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

:agreed: they do indeed a great job in here :agreed:

I found something a little more effective then your picture :wub:

[​IMG]

perfect match with the below video :wub:

:rofl:

:wub:

6. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

+1 for the cleaning job. This mess gotta stop.

That's called showing respect to those who passed away. Know what that is?

7. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

While I by no means like all of the mods on this site, I firmly believe that they do an excellent job. While I don't know a great deal about it, I have heard that their powers have been diminished since the SS.org transfer from Chris to Alex. If this is so, then I consider it to be another testament to their greatness.

The rate of new members has absolutely soared of late (check out the number of new threads in the "New Member Introductions" forum). I'm all for having new, cool guys onboard. Unfortunately, not all of them (or "you," if you're one of them) are cool, and feel the need to bump old threads without good reason, post new ones that are doomed from the start simply because of their pointlessness and generally be douchebags towards others. I see no reason why the mods shouldn't come down hard on these guys. When I first joined up, I didn't have a clue about the rules, and bumped quite a few threads. I was swiftly told not to, and haven't ever since.

I have heard of forums where the mod team has been elected by the community. While this may seem perfect, it can degenerate into a mess of hunger for power, and political bullshit. As Leon said, SS.org is not a democracy, nor is it a Stalinist regime. As far as I'm concerned, if you end up banned by any one of the mods, the chances are that you probably deserve it, and haven't exercised what little self control you require to be taken seriously on a forum or are simply picking fights. Either way, we don't need you here.

EDIT: The only criticism I have of the powers that be in this forum is that of the MVPs. I have no idea whether members can be made MVPs or not, perhaps due to Alex's relatively sparse active visits here. However, I think that rethinking the whole MVP scheme would be a worthy endeavour. There are certain members on the board who are consistently level-headed, and would be able to fulfill the position of "min-mod" well. Of late, I think that the title of MVP has been reduced to nil, and a refreshing of it's status would be excellent.

8. Rick

MVP status is given out as the mods see fit. Chris gave it to me but I can't remember why. :lol:

I don't have any more "powers" than anyone else except for mods. If I do, then someone needs to tell me so I can start kicking ass around here. :mad:

9. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

MVP was Chris' was of recognizing outstanding members of the forum. An MVP gets no mod powers.

10. Rick

Damnit. :mad:

I don't want to be outstanding, I want to kick ass. :scream:

11. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Frankly, I'm way more offended by all the "tributes"/everyone pretending they didn't spend the last 20+ years making a freak show of the poor man than I am by any jokes being made about him post-death.

And I agree that tossing around the ban hammer for people continuing to do what they've been doing since always is pretty lame-assed, but it's not my site and I'm no mod so my opinion doesn't mean shit anyway.

12. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

like who?

13. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

Somebody told me once that MVP means ''most valuable player'' ?

14. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

1, 2, 3, NOT IT!! ;)

15. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

I recall a thread where Chris said that we should consider a warning from an MVP as a warning from him. of course, the MVPs' status is questionable now, as Chris no longer owns the site. I think that the concept of having "mini-mods" (even if their powers are no greater than mine, or any other run-of-the-mill member) is a good one.

16. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

^^:lol:Real subtle, man.

The current mods now are practically "mini-mods" as it is. I get too many PMs as it is from people asking/complaining about why their posts/threads/etc went missing and I never delete shit relative to the other guys:lol: I'm not sure I want to have to rationalise the actions of twice as many people. Plus, I honestly have no idea who to pick. Do you really want every single regular member playing moderator? What a drag.

17. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

Sorry, DDD. Forgive the blatancy. :)

18. Rick

The MVP "status" was never anything special. It was just an acknowledgment of contributions made to the forum. I guess for me it was the interviews I've done, honestly I don't know. :lol:

I'm just a dude like everyone else.

Except for the girls. :lol:

19. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

It's fine, I just found it funny is all.

edit: re:CIAM, that is

20. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

hey I never said I was level-headed ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.