Regarding Over-Moderation and Mod Style

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by caughtinamosh, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

The MJ posters... Too raw. FAR too raw. :noplease:

EDIT: I'm all for people having a sense of humour, but when the subject is barely cold... Fuck you guys. :noway:

EDIT: I can has stickied thread! :eek: :lol:

The mods snagged from my post onwards from the "motivational posters" thread due to certain members posting inappropriate Michael Jackson content. The discussion here is on, as the new thread title suggests, "Over-Moderation and Mod Style," which was brought up after these members were banned.

2. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

:agreed:

Ire-works. Stop posting this shit and this isn't the first time people have got pissed at what you post in this thread. ENGAGE COMMON SENSE, for fuck's sake... :noway:

You too, gunshow. :squint:

3. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

:agreed:

Making fun of such an artistic talent is blasphemic :mad:

He must be respected for what he accomplished in his career and also for having standed up in front and to have fighted what horrible people did to him by making his life a living hell...

4. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I'm all down for fun and jokes but when the person just died yesterday, that crosses the line. Hope you idiots enjoy your bans.

Let this be a lesson to the rest of you. Know that whatever you post in this thread CAN get you canned from this site so use some discretion or get banned.

scottro202 and ZeroSignal like this.
  5. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

6. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

Nice one dj, it sickens me that people are so ignorant to be already making jokes about the death of a guy who has inspired millions.

7. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

Thanks, Mesh. :yesway:

Remind me to rep you for that, broseph.

8. Shooter

Shooter Drinkin' a Pizza

Alright, this doesn't really sit well with me. I don't post very often on this site, but I do love browsing the threads and gaining information from all of the knowledgable people here, and just taking part in the general feeling of comradery between musicians. But lately, it seems like people are getting banned left and right without warning just for making jokes, and that just doesn't seem fair to me. Where is it written in this forum's rules that it's not okay to make jokes about someone who has recently passed away? Would it be any different if it was someone who wasn't a cultural icon? And why is it okay to make fun of Michael Jackson for the majority of his life, but as soon as he's passed on, it becomes taboo? Taking away these members's posts is blatant censorship, and borders on Orwellian. Aren't we, as musicians and artists, generally against censorship? I admit, those pictures may have been in bad taste, but the posters weren't directly attacking anyone on this forum, and I'm sure they would have stopped if they'd had the curtesy of a warning. I understand that the moderaters here have a tough time keeping order, and that it is ultimately up to them what should and shouldn't be allowed, but if anything that even slightly offends anyone gets banned, what's the point of having a website like this that's supposed to support the free exchange of ideas? Why should anyone coming into a thread clearly titled "Not Safe for Work" have any right to be offended by what they see whatsoever? This is akin to Tipper Gore slapping every one of us with the "Parental Advisory" label.

I'll probably get banned for this myself, but I don't care, because I'm right.

9. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

It's simple and most of the guys who have been around here for a while get it. There are places that are a free for all, this is not one of them. This is first and foremost a music site, it is filled with a bunch of guys that have similar interests, who like to have a drink and have a good time talking shit in good company. Over time many of us have got to know each other well and have come to think of the members here like an extended family.

In regards to this thread and the images that have been moderated, some have not been suitable for this site and some have crossed the line of decency. The frequency of moderation required in this thread and the frequency that this thread is reported by members has got to the point where it would be easier just to close it.

For a period recently things got a little crazy, now the mod team is cleaning house, think of the recent cull as a return to the good old days.

10. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

Why does it have to be in the rules?
    Common sense would dictate that making jokes about someone who recently passed away is gonna be frowned upon.

11. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

Whilst that's true, Shooter has a good point.

I think the site's becoming over moderated, and whilst I understand why that's happening, I dont think it's very fair on some of the longer standing members.

Let's face it, too many douche bags got through the net, failed to grasp the "feel" and "swing" of this place, and have ruined it for the rest of us. Stuff like this thread could have, and would have, been acceptable back in the day because we were all a bit more close knit, responsible, and could let a few things fly because we knew it was done in a particular light. But I understand that now it has to be shut down asap otherwise the new kids will think it's a free for all and before you know it this will be full of /b/tards.

Shame. I understand what the mods are doing and why they're doing it, I just wish it didn't have to be like that

12. biggness

biggness Contributor

But still, this is OFF-TOPIC, which sets it apart from MUSIC. I am not being rude or anything of the like, but the censorship on here has become retarded. In regards to the MJ pictures, if you are going to pull those because he was influential to millions of people, why not pull all the anti-Christian pictures? Get my point? You can't let your tastes dictate what stays and what doesn't. As long as it doesn't break any rules, it's fine.

And please, don't close this thread. This is one of the few cool things remaining about this site. :lol:

13. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Until a week ago if you mentioned MJ on here you would have gotten the harshest jokes about the man, and now that he is dead he is suddenly a saint who is remembered for his high points only and is not open to ridicule?

14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If we can't post here, fine - but leave the thread open for viewing. There's 59 pictures of hilarious images that I like to show my friends :)

*hasn't noticed any super-modding..*

15. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

No ones stopping you from telling jokes about a man who has just died :) Just don't post them on this forum.

And I think would end this little discussion, because its ultimately up to the mods and I don't want this thread closed because it is awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

Hmm, first of all, all attempts to tell the mods what they can and cannot do is a little pointless, they're the mods, they could very well ban you for frequent misuse of the comma.
    Secondly, MJ has been mentioned here before and it didn't quickly turn into a hate fest, so there's no hypocrisy here, if you want that turn on the TV.
    Thirdly, the rules in offtopic are already looser compared to the other forums, but let's not turn it into 4chan just because it's "offtopic".
    That is all.

17. lefty robb

lefty robb Shred like a mofo Contributor

18. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

Ideas are great. Childish assholes aren't :yesway:

Remember, just like the USA, Sevenstring.org is not a democracy. If we feel something is in bad taste or out of line, we will nuke it. Being a member here and posting is not a right, it is a privilege.

19. Leon

BTW, bring shit like this up in the Site News/Info areas, so they are more easily seen and discussed, without derailing other threads :lol:

:wub:

20. Leon

Just wanted to snipe the posts from the Motivational Posters thread so they can be better discussed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.