Refinishing another RGA121. Well kinda...

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Jake, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Jake

Jake GAS Master

More like reverse refinishing this time :lol:

Some of you might have seen my recent NGD for this where I had this gloss black rga121 with all kinds of weird shit going on more or less, so I finally decided to bring it back to the maple cap mahogany back today.

We started here
    [​IMG]
    Gloss black, 3 knobs :scratch:, Portuguese coat of arms and a Bob Marley color scheme :lol:

Got it all taken apart and opened up the back and oh wow.
    [​IMG]
    not even sure what all was going on there but I'm literally just gonna run one volume and maybe a tone and probably gonna go with a set of Titans.

So moving on...
    got my hands on some power tools
    and this is an hour of orbital sanding later.
    [​IMG]

The back is done, need to get through the remnants of the original VLF finish on the top too and then get to work on the sides and dreaded horns tomorrow. Not sure what kind of finish to apply to the bare wood to get it back to what it originally was but that's what you guys are here to help me with :lol:

Tru oil? Tung oil? Danish oil? Oil oil :lol::lol:

anyways imma get to the sides and back tomorrow

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I think you made the right decision on refinishing the guitar... can't wait to see what it looks like!

3. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Should be fun seeing as it's already looking decent without getting all the way through the original stain. Really not looking forward to sanding another RGA's horns but hey it's whatever :lol:

Might also just grab a set of locking tuners for it too.

4. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Spent about 2 hours doing my least favorite activity in the world which is hand sanding yesterday.

The sides are done minus a few problem spots, the bottom is done and the rest of the guitar is ready for finishing after I do the horns.....the horns :(
    [​IMG]

5. GRIZ

GRIZ djentleman

I'm really interested in this thread. I have two right now and I want a third to mod and this just might be the inspiration I need

6. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Do it! I already refinished my other one last year and it went pretty well.

7. Jake

Jake GAS Master

So anyway this is going to resume on Tuesday when my winter break from college starts. But in progress related news I have settled on a Dimarzio Titan in the Bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Really stoked to see how the Titan is going to sound through my new and improved axe fx setup :D

8. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

I vote tung oil. Love that shit!

9. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Decided to go with medium walnut Danish oil. Expected it to be a little bit darker but I really really like how it's turning out. This piece of maple is really nice and has an interesting grain pattern and this stain is really bringing it out once it dries completely.
    [​IMG]
    Gonna keep the back the natural color but I really like where this is headed now. :yesway:

10. Jake

Jake GAS Master

PROGRESS: All oiling is done, front back and sides. Sanded up to 400 grit, feels nice and smooth and looks killer. Just gonna put a little bit of wax polish on the top and call it finished and put back together to be a riff machine. :yesway:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks great in person, it has some iffy spots from previous wood filler and such but I love the end result.

11. ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan SS.org Regular

Looks really good, I like the idea of a mildly figured top on this guitar. It's meant to be a fairly stripped down riff machine in the first place. :yesway:

12. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Thanks! Yeah definitely agree, I just cant wait to finally be able to play it again, of course I have to figure out what to do to cover the extra cavity in the back in the third knob hole....probably just leave the cavity empty and get a cover made for it and plug the knob hole with something...maybe a 3 way? :lol:

13. Jake

Jake GAS Master

And finished :D

Finally wired up and ready to be loved again :lol:

potato quality photos incoming.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far from some low volume chugging I find the Titan to be exactly as I expected. It's punchy and it's clear. Neck pickup isn't even functional and I think the third hole plug doesn't look too bad so yeah. That's it that's all :D

14. Meet the Cleaver

Meet the Cleaver SS.org Regular

So I know this thread is more or less 2 years old and probably dead, but I just bought this exact guitar and had no context for some of the mods on it, namely the routing on the back. This just gave me a ton of context for what I'm dealing with here on restoring this thing. :drool: