Reducing my set up down

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Xenos0176, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Xenos0176

Xenos0176 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I posted but here we go.

I know jack about cabs or amps really. I play rock, metal, some prog, djent stuff. What I have now sounds good, I'd like to have good sound for high gain stuff and a decent clean sound. I know a cab makes a big part of the sound so here's what I have.

I have a peavey valveking 100w half stack with a peavey 4x12 cab, not a valveking cab though, its markings have been worn off. The guy I bought it from knew it wasn't the valveking cab. In my rig set up I also have a pod HD 500 and a compressor rack unit, mostly for tone shaping.

Here's the deal, I never play out so why the hell do I need a half stack? I wanna either get a 2x12 replacement but a friend suggested I get a 5150 combo and replace the whole half stack. Is it feasible to get a 2x12 peavey replacement to still get the same sound or is a 5150 combo going to be enough for me to get a similar tone?

Another good note is I lucked out and paid $500 for the both since I was good friends with the previous owner so I guess I'm looking around that price range for any outcome.

As always thanks for reading!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO, going from a Valveking to a 5150 isn't really going to get you "less amp" unless you're only concerned about the form. Sure, it might take up less space, but depending on the speakers (type and count) in either, and what context you're using them in, the combo might be equally overkill for a home tone. I've not really played either very much, but I'd guess that the 5150 is an amp that wants to be played loud, so maybe that's not appropriate for how you plan on using it. I'd be more concerned with which amp sounds better to you in your context. If you can try it out, try it and make your decision based on that.

My little apartment has a 4x12, a 1x12 and an 8x8 (for bass) all of which could wake up the whole neighborhood very easily. Sure, I don't neeeeeeed all that stuff in my apartment, but they still sound good, and you never know when you might join a new band or something and need the extra gear.

3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

If you get the 5150 combo, you're going to lose your decent clean tone. 5150 clean tones are passible at best. They're kinda clean but, not pretty.

4. Xenos0176

Xenos0176 SS.org Regular

Is there some alternative ud recommend then?

5. Xenos0176

Xenos0176 SS.org Regular

Part of it is I don't need that much space but ur right, live a 2x12 could be just as loud and considering most sound guys only mic one speaker I figure I don't need something to take up all that space either if something smaller and lighter can get the job done. Which is mainly high gain djent things for fun and a decent clean tone. Imo if it can handle those 2 things it can probably do almost anything else that I want

6. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

If you're willing to spend a little more money, I would buy the Peavey XXX head and pair it with a 2x12 Genz Benz G-Flex cab. That's what I use for my main setup, and it's perfect for bedroom levels, because the xxx doesn't need to be cranked for it to dish out those brutal tones. Put some KT77 tubes in there, and both the cleans and distortions will put an even bigger smile on your face. The distortion in both the 5150 and and XXX will rip the face off of any valveking, but the 5150's "clean channel" isn't going to make you happy.

If you're patient, you can get the cab and the xxx head for around $600-$700, or maybe even less. The G-Flex 2x12 cab is a freaking beast, and packs all the bass you could ever want.

Another alternative is the Bugera 333XL 2x12 combo. I believe it's based off the 6505 (which is essentially the 5150), but I've read that the cleans are actually better. I would get the infinium version since you can put different tubes in it, and its self biasing. Not to mention that you could buy it new for your price range.

Good luck!

7. Xenos0176

Xenos0176 SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot fit the suggestions dude I'm gonna look into those especially the bugera. It sounds like what I may want

8. sevenfoxes

:metal:

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Drop the whole tube head/cab thing and get a powered monitor for the HD500.

You'll have a super simple, maintenance free rig that'll sound great at all volumes. :2c:

10. sevenfoxes

That too. Lot's of options in this day and age.

11. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

So you want a versatile tube amp that sounds good at bedroom levels as well as when cranked.

Randall Diavlo 45 is the first thing that comes to mind, but if you're not afraid to go solid-state, you can get a used 4 channel AMT Stonehead for $500. One of the cleanest of cleans you can get, a crunch channel, and 2 high gain channels (one based on the 6505, the other based on a Rectifier/SLO). Personally I would go this route.

12. sevenfoxes

I just checked out the AMT Stonehead. I wasn't even aware of them. You're right about the cleans. Almost too clean! And for solid state, the distortion is awesome! How old are these amps, and why arent they more popular? How's the build quality on these?