Red Or Black?: Michael Kelly 508X

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by DEADLY7VEN, Nov 30, 2017.

Red Or Black?

1. Red

77.1%
  2. Black

22.9%
  1. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

I liked the quilted grey/black myself. but either looks amazing. I want one but im scared of the MK name on it honestly. How are these?

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

seriously seriously underrated. My old one was a complete tank. Had stupidly good build quality and looked the business. Was so solid and felt way more money than it was worth. Like i said earlier in the thread, they make a mockery of BC Rich.

These will 100% need locking tuners, but other than that I can vouch for them (unless they suddenly became shit the last 3 years)

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

from what little I've heard about these models, they're way better than the old mk 8 strings and don't have a 2x4 neck anymore. I used to have a silver patriot baritone from mk and I kicked the shit out of it, but it just kept chugging along til I sold it. MiK production is damn good anymore and some companies are putting more into qc/ listening to customer feedback as far as I can tell (nearly every schecter I've tried in the last year has been killer, same with MK).

DEADLY7VEN and lewis like this.
  4. DEADLY7VEN

DEADLY7VEN Pathfinder

Sorry for the wait guys, this week actually got pretty busy for me, but it made it here last Sunday on the 2nd. Which was VERY fast shipping considering i ordered it on the 30th. I haven't got much time to play it yet but the little time i did have with it was awesome, fit and finish is impeccable, the pickups are very nice when split into single coils but as hum buckers sound a bit muddy on the lower strings. The scale length helps a lot with string tension, it almost feels like i'm playing one of my 7 strings. Ill record some demos for it when i get the time but here are some nice android quality photos for you guys IMG_6936.jpg Snapchat-1666050470.jpg Snapchat-154571799.jpg Snapchat-491871862.jpg Snapchat-536020515.jpg Snapchat-1459798799.jpg

AkiraSpectrum, rahnvu, Kyle01 and 5 others like this.
  5. DEADLY7VEN

DEADLY7VEN Pathfinder

I'll make a NGD thread when i get the time, cause i have an amp from a while ago that i still haven't made an NAD thread for so im just going to combine them into one giant post

lewis likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Locking tuners on this and you are set.

Wow that red looks amazing. Congrats

DEADLY7VEN likes this.
  7. DEADLY7VEN

DEADLY7VEN Pathfinder

It looks even better in person man, and maybe a ill throw a set of sperzels or something on it down the line when i get the cash. The bridge actually feels super comfortable and im not sure if a hipshot would be the same specs or not, but i was thinking some of those graphtech ghost saddles would sound gnarly in it. First thing on the list is some pickups for sure though, any recommendations?

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Sounds like a great plan dude.

Re pickups. Its a tough one as its entirely subjective. Mostly depends normally on what your influences are and liking their sound.
    Alot of folks here love Bareknuckle (Aftermath, Juggernaut and now Ragnarok? etc) or Seymour duncans (Pegasus, sentient, Nazgul or Black Winter etc) whereas im personally an active guy so tend to go for Emgs (57/66, 81 etc) or look at the active duncans like the Blackouts etc.

The main plus for me re to EMG is as i down own a soldering iron it suits me to be able to install pickups by quick connect and completely upgrade electronics without needing to solder. A good start os probably Ola and Keith Merrows channels as over the years they have done some awesome pickup comparison videos.

Those saddles would be sweet :) i do often wonder if changing bridges like this to Hipsot actually changes anything. Saddles i can see making an improvement though.

DEADLY7VEN likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

depends on what qualities you want to prioritize and how much you want to spend, also depends on how bright/dark sounding your guitar is. For overall versatility I'd recommend a pegasus/sentient combo, elysian pickups, bkp black dog, or a guitarmory scud (with alternative 8 magnet). If you just want super brutal then ceramic warpig (works better in brighter guitars), black winter, painkiller(works best in mahogany or other darker sounding guitars), nazgul (if you have a darker voiced guitar) or an avedissian scythe. If you're looking for a dj00nt pickup then all of them can do that, though some are better suited (painkiller, elysian goliaths, duncan omega).

DEADLY7VEN likes this.
  10. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Omega or Black Winter for sure. You're only problem is getting passive size 8 string pickups, but Duncan has you covered. Really considering one of these next year.

DEADLY7VEN and lewis like this.
  11. DEADLY7VEN

DEADLY7VEN Pathfinder

I know the omega sounds good with the coils spilt as they come like that on the sigs, but im not sure how the black winters would fare. Plus im worried about how the black winters sound when lightly overdriven for playing like jazz and blues. I just want this thing to be as versatile as it looks, but still have enough output to power that low string through the mix. But not too much output you know

12. DEADLY7VEN

DEADLY7VEN Pathfinder

I think its narrowing down to pegasus/sentient vs nazgul/sentient and active set vs passive set. im usually a passive guy but for the 8's i feel like active circuits are totally justified with the right amount of output

lewis likes this.
  13. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Righto. It's a bummer but I believe Fluence 8 string pickups only come in soapbar. They would be my first choice otherwise. It's hard to find a good tight humbucker that splits well. One of my techs I talked to says "The hotter they are, the worse they split. Too many windings." I solve that with parallel. SC bite without the volume drop. Maybe go with a neck pickup in the bridge spot. I did that by accident and it was great with a Titan. I played it in A standard, drop G, drop C and D standard fast riffing and sludgier stuff with cleans. Less output = more control. If you have a high gain amp a 14-22k output pickup may not be needed.

14. KnightBrolaire

if you want versatility then go pegasus/sentient. nazgul isn't very versatile imo.

lewis likes this.