Recording Noob Setup

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Zenki_Kouki, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Zenki_Kouki

Zenki_Kouki still can't play

Hey dudes,

After a pretty lengthy hiatus, I found my way back here and back to playing guitar seriously again. With that, I'm looking to start getting some legs underneath my projects and get them somewhere. I've been accumulating all the things I need to begin recording, but there's so much information and jargon out there its kind of daunting. Below, I've made the list of everything I have, and wanted to get some feedback on it or if I'm missing anything.

Acer Aspire E 15.6 (Core i5-8250U, 256GB SSD)
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Countryman DT85 DI Box
    Reaper - DAW

ESP EC401
    Edwards E-EX-125D
    (Assorted cords and guitar cables for all this of course!)

I've got about 3 1 TB External HDs, and I have some pretty good over-ear headphones I got locally. My DAW of choice is Reaper and am thinking of purchasing the license to use it fully but I'm open to look into other options too. I was planning to use amp plugins since I don't have the space for physical amps right now, and programming drums. I'm also looking at options for bass guitars too. Looking back at everything written down it looks kind of barebones, but what do you guys think?

2. alessandroarzilli

alessandroarzilli SS.org Regular

I think it's a good point to start with.
    Hardware and software listed seems right to me.
    What genre will you be playing?
    And more important: which monitors/phones are you using?
    I'd suggest you to try the VST plugins by Ignite Amps: they absolutely ROCK.
    My personal freeware go-to signal chain is almost always ReaGate -> TS999 -> Emissary -> NadIR -> ReaXComp.
    Also, be sure to check some tutorials by Chernobyl Studios. Have fun :)

3. Zenki_Kouki

I haven't quite decided on what genre I'll be playing, but I've got some things written on the tech death side and some written on the riff-heavy stoner metal side. We'll see what I continue with there haha.

I don't have any monitors currently, but they're on the list. Any recommendations?
    I'll for sure check those plugins and tutorials too! Thank you!

4. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

For monitors it really depends on your budget and room size. I have the M-Audio BX5 Crimsons and they work great for me in my 12' x 15' "studio" with ZERO acoustic treatment (still in the works) although they do lack a little in the bass end of this but very clear and easy to set up. There are plenty of choice from extremely budget to extremely expensive. I would try to stay in the 5" or bigger speaker size. Check out KRK's, JBLs, M-Audio, and even Sterling all have ~$100 per monitor choices. Also don't be afraid to look at used as you can get some pretty good deals as long as they have been treated well.

Also +100000 for the Ignite Audio plugins I use their NadIR and their tubescreamers (the tyrant is awesome) as for amp sim I am using Nick Crowe Labs 7505 and 8505 and they both sound terrific and very versatile.

5. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

You can drop the scarlett and countryman DI and just get the Audient iD4 which has a dedicated DI input if you want to save some money. The countryman DI is a great choice though. Not personally a fan of recommending scarletts to anyone.

6. Zenki_Kouki

Okay, I'll set those aside for my list! I've got some other things I'm looking to add once I have the space and a dedicated setup. I've also been looking at studio headphones too.

I like what I've seen from Ignite, so far. I have the NadIR and the Anvil, I'm working on dialing in tones and reading up on just the general ins and outs of VSTs and how to get all this to work. This learning curve is getting steep but I feel like I'm making it work, as long as I commit to learning at least one new thing a day about it.

Added to my list too, I'm looking to it right now. If I'm understanding this right, it looks like it's a 2-in-1 DI box and recording interface instead of the two individual pieces I have right now, right?

7. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

This is basically what I do as well. I try and learn how to use every plugin that I download that way I know what its for and how I can use it for future reference. I try not to do to many things at once that way I don't get overloaded with information.