Recording Guitar Tones?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by fob, Sep 28, 2017.

1. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I think you've earned your Good Samaritan award for the week. :rofl:

2. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Let me put it like this. If you’re jamming on a real amp and cab, then you close the door and you’re on the other side of the door jamming. the tone of the amp hasn’t changed and it’s feel, but the whole sound is now muffled (if that’s the right word) by the door being closed. not in a volume type of way, but the brightness. so basically when I use IR it feels like that effect is happening regardless of how the tone and brightness and all that is on all the cabs. does that help?

3. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Let me put it like this. If you’re jamming on a real amp and cab, then you close the door and you’re on the other side of the door jamming. the tone of the amp hasn’t changed and it’s feel, but the whole sound is now muffled (if that’s the right word) by the door being closed. not in a volume type of way, but the brightness. so basically when I use IR it feels like that effect is happening regardless of how the tone and brightness and all that is on all the cabs. does that help?

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No, not at all. :lol: Because, nothing about that sounds "good" so I still have no clue how the tone can sound both "good" and "muffled." :lol:

5. fob

fob SS.org Regular

I guess another way to describe it isn’t “muffled” because there is clarity, but the cabs all have a sound as if there is a low pass filter over the guitar. The cut isn’t there just in general.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

So, not "good"? I honestly don't understand how a tone can be both "good" and "muffled."

I mean, really, I'm trying to get my head around this one, and just failing. :lol: It sounds like there's a problem with the sound of the IR version of these tones that you don't like and you want to fix, except at the same time you're telling me you like the sound of the IR tone, so when I then ask what exactly the problem is, you tell me you don't like the sound. :lol: Or do you like the fact it sounds muffled? :scratch: Is there something lacking in the mix with the IRs? Does the IR sound muffled compared to other people's recordings, or is it a pretty standard guitar tone in terms of clarity? It's possible that the very things that make the Pod seem to cut better are also the things that make the tone sound worse; extremely harsh guitars will cut through a mix, if you want the guitars to jump out throw about 12db of gain around oh 5-7khz, but that doesn't mean it's a tone you WANT - that would sound grating as hell.

We're 25 posts in and you still haven't clearly articulated the problem you're trying to solve. I know you THINK you have, but you haven't. :lol: You're going to have to post clips.

7. fob

fob SS.org Regular

you’re too kind for still replying haha. I’m going to give some of the advice already given a try and see the results.

also gain staging, and panning. how do i set these up properly to ensure the signal is good? what levels do i want on my track in logic and what levels in the POD and IR loader?

8. fob

fob SS.org Regular

I got Mix Ir2 and it downloaded and installed but my DAW (Logic Pro X) isn’t finding it. I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted the computer/logic all multiple times. halp

9. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Nevermind I got it!

10. fob

fob SS.org Regular

https://soundcloud.com/fobtoonz/sets/tone-tests/s-yeXjL

Here is the link to the tone tests. The first one (remake 4) is one I just worked on today using a Angel F-Ball Amp head (not the pre) with a few blended cabs with MixIR and some EQ and such, and the second is the POD HD tone itself with the Treadplate and XXL V-30 with EQ and such as well. I tried to mix the first tone (remake 4) within the context of the mix and with the drums and bass and what not. It's not perfect but I just would like feedback on if I'm headed in the right direction.

The song is just a demo I'm working on with shitty names so don't just the content. lol

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Thanks for posting that - I probably can't listen to it tonight (plans after work) but hopefully one night later this week I can try to figure out what exactly is going on here.

12. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Your guitar tone sounds just fine as a base tone to start with. It's a little flubby in the lower mids (200-300), but otherwise it will be a good starting point to use for recordings. What you need to work on are the drums. ;)

EDIT: Your guitar tone in the first clip is better than the 2nd clip, and your drums in the 2nd clip are way better than the 1st clip.

13. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

couverdure likes this.
  14. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Truer words have never been spoken!!!

When you're jamming alone, you want your tone to fill up the frequency spectrum. When you're tone is sitting n a mix, it needs to be more focused.... often meaning less presence and usually way less bass. high-pass, low-pass, and mid-boost is your friend... though it's usually best to make sure your recorded tone is focused before you hit record, rather than fix it afterward.

Sounds pretty good to me... punchy and focused!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  15. fob

fob SS.org Regular

How do I make it “pop” more? Mess with different cab combinations? I think the drums are the same in both mix wise but levels wise might be different

16. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

By getting your tone to gel with the bass at this point. Aside from that, there are many other factors that you control that can influence your tone like your picking technique, playing technique, what sort of preamps you're using, A/D D/A conversion, the cables you're using, and down down down the rabbit hole it goes. My point is, record more and work on mixing. Get the bass to gel with the guitars and discover massive tone.

17. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

For what its worth, I could nail the evergrey "Inner Circle" tone by running the cab model on my GNX into a power amp and cab. It can be a great "background" tone, and an interesting texture.

18. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Do you use plugins for power amps? I heard the cab and power amp is where the POD has it’s downfalls. I haven’t tried it yet but I want to.

Also I subscribed to URM. It’s been really helpful so far. One thing, the files that they send for the guitars in the mixes, are those double tracked and condensed into a single .wav and called R? Or is that single tracked and R?

19. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Plugins for power amps? I mean they "can" work the only one I really liked was Ignite Amps one... other than that idk...

Their guitars are prebaked unless they give you just DI's (which unless it's a Joey Sturgis month pretty much never), but almost always they are singular guitar tracks. I mean... buy the Machine Head month if you want to work with a million layers of guitars (quad tracked, 4 tracks of rhythms) or Monuments where they do the same.

20. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Yeah I bought the I, The Creator one and Future Breed Machine. It’s been super helpful so far. The video is like 8 hours long though so I haven’t had time to go through it yet and use it.

What’s with the mixer on the Pod? If I’m using a single amp, mono signal, then how do I use the POD mixer? L/R hard panned and 0 db? (the default settings), or do center pan and 0db or gain compensation?

I feel like when it’s panned each volume knob does a different amount and effect on the gain.

I’m also going from Mono out L to input on 2i2 and the DRY out on the 2nd input on the 2i2. i just record using input 1 right now, i haven’t recording the dry tracks yet. is this why the volumes are different?

The reason I ask is because when I double track, the tone feels like it loses some of its thickness and it sounds slightly phased? The right and left sides sound ever slightly different and I’m wondering if it’s how the POD mixer is set up and those weird volume changes.