Recording fingerstyle/classical? One mic

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Martis93, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Martis93

Martis93 SS.org Regular

Hello guys. I am recording acoustic/classical guitar played lightly and have one mic. Actually I have two, but my audio interface (Yamaha Audiogram 3) only has one phantom power and both mics are condensers.
    How do you people record delicate pieces? I am picking up too much noise (from the mic itself), because I have to turn the gain almost all the way up to get a normal signal. I've tried many different mic positions, so far I got the best results by pointing the mic at around the 12th fret from below, but the mic is already close, less than a feet away and there still is some noise.
    Maybe there's some bit of information that I missed?

2. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

What mic are you using?

3. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I fear, the problem is more this crappy interface ... sorry, no offence intended, but an interface, that only supports 16 bit at 44.1 kHz will very likely have pretty crappy preamps.

4. Martis93

Martis93 SS.org Regular

Baelzebeard - Rode NT 3.
    Aymara - none taken, a new interface has been on my list for a long time now, I just usually end up buying something that I need more. I was thinking about what you said aswell, but it's always easier to blame gear. I don't want to buy a new, higher priced interface and find out that it doesn't change anything.

5. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Good recordings require 24 bit, that's a fact.

The Rode NT3 has the reputation to be a quite nice mic for acoustic guitar on stage. But though a large condensor mic would be a better choice for studio works, the NT3 should be able to achieve acceptable results.

Also important is the used cable. What is true for guitar cables is also true for mic cables ... use high end cables for recordings.

The mic position you found out is often recommended, when using a single mic.

So I definitely would start with a better interface, that can record in 24 bit at 96 kHz ... and do some research, because it must have good mic preamps, which is not guaranteed in the lower price segment below 200 bucks.

I myself still use my good old Tascam US-122 MkII for that reason ... it sounds great and has good preamps. You hear nearly no noise, but I use a Vienna made AKG C3000 (large condenser), which is extremely sensitive.

Maybe open a new thread for your interface choice. A further important point is, that you choose one with good driver support!

Conclusion: A better interface will be a good investment, if you choose the right one.

6. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

Countless great sounding recordings have been made with 16 bit gear, but indeed the preamp could be your weak link. I have always had good success with Rode mics, and have never heard of them having self noise problems.

So your preamp must be inherently noisy to some degree. So when turning the gain up you also turn up the inherent noise.

7. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

A workaround for this problem might be using ReaFir from the free Reaper plugins (Windows only) or Reaper itself (Mac too) to create a noise filter profile ... there are tutorial about this on Youtube.

This might be worth a try, until a better interface is available.

8. Martis93

Martis93 SS.org Regular

Thank you for your input, guys.
    Aymara - I thought recording in 24bits only increases the headroom? I'm not sure about the cable I have, I've had it for years.
    I'm assuming a noise filter is just a different type of an EQ, I would prefer to find a way to get rid of the noise in the recording stage. I'll look into some new interfaces, thanks for your suggestions.:)

9. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular