Recording acoustic instrumentos on a non treated room

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jvms, Aug 28, 2017.

1. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

I'm gonna have to record some acoustic guitars for a project and my home studio is in my home office. There is a glass wall there and there are many glass cabinets too, so it's probably not the most perfect space ever. Is there anything I can do on a budget (or maybe not so much if needed) to make it decent for recording? Would a larger version of those mattresses vocal booths help?

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

A treated room is great, because it's a time saver and it helps you get the most consistent sound possible.

A non-treated room, however, can sound phenomenal, if you get your mic placement just right to maximize the tone of the room - if the room doesn't sound horrible all over. If you want a raw, natural reverb, and a little more intimacy, then you might be able to play around with mic placement and score a hit.

Otherwise, get some soft materials to dampen the acoustics of the room. I have not tried the mattress vocal booths, but there are lots of household items that can really help: rugs, mats, clothes, blankets, tapestries, etc. I've been happy with my own results from time to time.

Another option would be to use a piezo pickup and then try to process it into a more natural sound in post. I would have not ever thought that to be ideal, but I've seen other bands do it before and I was impressed with how it turned out.

I suppose there are a few solutions to your problem, potentially.

How big is the room?

What kind of acoustic guitars do you have?

What style of music? Do you have any sort of recordings for reference of what you would like it to sound like?