Recommendations for next 8-string electric

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Zott, Nov 10, 2018 at 9:20 PM.

1. Zott

Zott SS.org Regular

Currently I have an ESP LTD FM-408 neck-thru 8-string with a 25.5" scale length, gauge is normal 10s for the first six strings plus 56 on seventh and 68 on eighth. Fixed bridge.

Anyway, the ESP has been a good guitar for what it is, but I'm looking to get something with a longer scale length to help with the lower string tension, tone, and feel on the frets-probably 27 inch, though I might consider 28" or fanned fret, depending on how the specific guitar feels. Need 24 frets, double cutaway, prefer smooth, contoured bodies, not spiky/pointy shapes.

I tend to prefer neck-thru but have an Ibanez bolt-on bass that feels great at the joint, so I'm open to either--the smoothness of the transition from neck to body and depth of the cutaways are what counts. (The closer to the actual end of the fretboard the cutaways are, the better.)

No strong preference on pickups, controls, or hardware, but I like options in sound (e.g., 5-way switch vs. 3-way, coil tap, etc.) and may mod later if I'm not happy with the stock controls. My older guitars were Ibanez or similar with passive pickups, while my ESP has EMG 808s. Would be happy to try something different, passive or active.

Been a while since I went shopping for a guitar, so wondering what people would recommend from their experience in the past few years, whether new or used, below US$1500. (Unless there's a compelling reason to pay more--aesthetics and brand name don't count as compelling in my book, and mass manufacturing has lowered prices on things like 8-strings and fan frets considerably. I did consider paying up for a custom, but the production time and additional uncertainty involved made me reconsider.)

Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Agile.

You don't seem too picky, so choose an Agile that you dig.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

agile, or a used schecter c8/avenger 8 (if you can find one). A used kiesel vader would be more expensive but they're usually pretty well made ime.

4. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 Agile INTERCEPTOR PRO 828

5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

6. Acaciastrain360

29.4” scale!? Fucking beast, you’d need chimp arms to play that

NorCal_Val likes this.
  7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

Nah.
    You’d be surprised.
    It’s very functional.

I play music likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's only .775" longer than your Agile 828's 28.625" scale. Since the M80M has the bridge and overall scale pushed further towards the tail end of the guitar, it'll actually be a shorter reach to the end of the neck.

I play music and Acaciastrain360 like this.
  9. Acaciastrain360

Very nice indeed! Sounds like a possible future investment, although I am so happy with the agile

10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

You've got no shortage of decent options under $1500. I'd say pick up a used RG2228/852 but that's just my personal preference.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  11. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Used rg2228.

/thread

But seriously for the money you'll end up spending on a decent 8 a used prestige 2228 will be hard to beat and will cost you about the same.

I don't know what the market is like where you are but over here they're very cheap for what they are.